1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Headhunters arise!

Feb 23, 2010

1. I just can't do it! I've had floating heads before, but unless I buy a body for them, their stay always seems to be transitory. They don't feel like an actual doll until I complete them, and I can't seem to fully enjoy them unless they have their own body. I always end up being able to sell heads - but having much more difficulty selling full dolls, even if I love the sculpt. The idea of body-sharing was so appealing when I first began collecting, but I've come to realize I have to have bodies for each of my dolls. I just sold my last floating head, so I have only complete dolls at the moment! :) Like others have said, there's a certain satisfaction to it, especially when you finally find not just a body, but the right body.

2. I mean to keep a few spare heads around so they can be extra characters in my photostories and shoots without me having to own entire extra dolls of characters who won't show up often.

3. Oh, you just get it!! Now I finally know the name of that strange illness that is coming for me - headophillia!! :lol:

Well, let's say that now I'm something like HeadHunter Beginer....the urge to get multiple heads without bodies for the shortest time is starting to overmaster me :lol: I have to keep myself far far away from the Marketplace :sweat

On the other side I kinda understand it - the sculpt of the head is more important than the body and when you want some doll and you don't have enough money, you'll buy just the head and start hunting the body later...well...works for me...:sweat :lol:

4. I'm a total had hunter due to my general philosophy that one can never have too many doll heads XD and, because I only believe in buying 1 body from each company, even if I want multiple head sculpts. I like the idea of having my characters all physically different as well, varying in heights and builds as well as faces. So basically, that means heads, lots and lots of heads. XD Plus, heads are easier to store, easy to travel with, and fun to have around for the purposes of practicing faceups or transferring wigs/eyes etc.

5. I think I'm turning into a head hunter o_o; ...
      Quick (head) count xD : 2 Multiheads, 1 MNM head, 2 Littlefee faceplates, 3 Pukipuki faceplates, 1 MNF Sleeping Luka head. 9 Total.
      Some are just extra faces/emotions (laughing, winking, sleeping) But I rarely use those ones unless it's for a photo-story. I don't mind body-sharing on the tinies, but I have trouble enjoying them as 'just heads'. I'll probably sell the ones I can't find characters for, and then use those funds to look for bodies. :)

6. How do you feel about two floating heads sharing a body?:? Ive heard of a few owners who do't mind doing this. they have two possible heads that fit the body and they dont have money for another so, they just start switching them out. One day they want to play with this girl the next the tire of her and want to play with the other girl. They may want another body some day but it's not a main concern. This doesnt refer to those who are currently saving and they steal a body from one doll for a photoshoot of another. This is actually sharing a body equally between two heads. Im curious what you guys think about it. Have you ever done this? Is it ok with you or are you against it? have you ever heard of someone doing it before?
      personally, I wouldnt because I like my dolls to be a collection and have they'r own style of clothing and personality so I would prefer to have seperate bodies.:)
      if Ive posted this in the wrong place or if there is another similar thread moderators feel free to delete :)

7. Ughh. I've had to do that before. >.< Annoys me to no end. I'd personally rather have floating heads then two that share the same body (unless it's the same character sleeping/awake heads like my Terra is)

I personally think once you get a doll, it bonds the character into the doll's body. (I've had some second hand dollies come my way and they've always had some of the "old character" still in them. Like my Incubus. >.< He wasn't planned to be one but his previous owner's character was an incubus. And he just "wanted" to stay as one. >.> darn demons.)

8. I don't usually like switching myself, but lately I've considered doing this for my minifee. I have a full doll coming in and 2 floating heads at home and don't want to spend the money for another body right now - but I also am not willing to part with the floating heads as they are unique customs that I really adore. As much as I'd love to photograph even just 2 of my minifee girls together - I also like that sharing a body saves money for other things and also saves space. I hate clutter ^_^;

9. Oh no. My heads have a character attached to the body as much as to their faces. If I do not have the body, so get them patient to wait in their boxes until I can get it.

10. Yup, I've been there, done that. I didn't think I would like it very much, but it was fine. There are space and money limitations, and the ability to have four characters on two bodies has been worth the minor irritants of changing heads as well as some characters being unable to appear in pictures with others.

But now I do plan to get bodies for everybody when I have the money. It's not so much changing the heads as also having to change the clothes just to get back to the character's proper equilibrium . . .

11. Ugh. Sorry but I hate that expression. Oh well. Why not say exactly
      what you mean? One body, two heads. Anyhow I don't see anything
      wrong with two (or more) heads sharing a body. In many cases, like
      with dolls that have faceplates it's common. Although I'm not sure if
      those faces are always the same character or not. *shrugs*
      Bodies are expensive and often you either can't buy them without buying
      a whole doll, it's very common to have floating heads because of this.
      Personally I'm going to have a few of my heads "share"bodies this year
      until I can afford to buy them all their own body....but that may take a few
      years. Finding good resin matches is a real pain, which is why I have so
      many floaters, also I happen to love Soom and Soom doesn't care about
      offering their dolls as bodies or just basics in their fantasy resins :|

In short I'm fine with more than one head sharing a body. In fact I kind
      of think it's ideal, if you're fortunate enough to like several sculpts that
      can actually share a body, it would make traveling with your doll a lot
      easier, not that I travel :( but for those that do I would imagine it's less
      "stressful" deciding what doll that take. I suppose this comes from my
      odd wish to only have 1 doll that I absolutely love, multiple heads being
      able to share a body makes that slightly more possible.

12. Lula 78- I originally started a new thread and a moderator moved me over- title and all so thats why my post says that.

13. I don't like to do it. I've done it temporarily but it is never a permanent plan of mine. I do not enjoy switching heads around and while I perfectly accept that they are just dolls I find it some how interrupts my bonding with the characters to have several sharing one body. For a while I had Killian and NiNi sharing one body unintentionally simply because when I ordered the Junior Delf body for Killian's head you could not buy just the body and as luck would have it the Terra head was perfect for NiNi's character so I decided to keep him figuring I could just buy another body in the future for him. I did happen to luck into a body for him on the market place eventually. I did not change the heads around frequently though in the interim. For the most part he was just a floating head even though he was the one the body had originally belonged to. I am really picky about having that perfect body for a character. Just a body that fits a head isn't good enough. It is hard for me having floating heads around and I wouldn't want to have a bunch of heads with a body that was just "good enough" for all of them to work on. That isn't how I collect. For Killian and NiNi it wasn't such a big deal because ultimately they do have exactly the same body, a Jr. Delf body, but I want them to each have their own body, as strange as that may sound. It's just the way I am.

14. I thought I was befalling the same 'dilema' beginning to anyhow.. I have two floating heads at the moment but I've already found them bodies in the process of being bought. I think I may still fall into it when I find more heads that I'd like with no money for a body.

15. I'm starting to think that two heads sharing a body are the way to go for me, because it really saves space, and I mostly photograph from the torso upwards... the downside is I can't photograph the two of them whole together. Having two separate bodies would be the ideal but it's always more heads to bodies, never the other way around; I guess it's cause bodies are more expensive, and the head is what's more important to me, anyway... ><

16. Although I have plenty of floating heads, sometimes I see a body I just want to have in my collection. So I often just buy a body thinking I'll find a head for it later. :sweat I've had headless bodies in my hobby room, because none of my floating heads were right for that body and I don't mean that the resin match was off. It's just that a certain body asks for a certain head. (Size, gender, age, etc.)

I don't mind heads sharing a body and although I try to get a body for each head (or a head for each body), I'm now at a stage in which giving all heads a body would mean I'd have a lot of dolls and a shortage of space to store them in. I don't want my dolls all over the house and I'd like to keep them in one room for now. So most floating heads are left with sharing a body with a completed doll, until I can get them a body.

17. Heh heh... I had to laugh when I saw this thread, because I'm a TOTAL headhunter. I've got heads in boxes all over the place! (And boy, would that sound wrong taken out of context). I do intend on getting bodies for all of them some time in the nebulous future. But for now...yeah. Headhunters unite!

18. I'm up to five floating heads orz. I plan on getting an Impldoll Star Woman body for two of them, possibly three if I like the sculpting and size in person, so they can at least body-share for a bit. XD The other two are minis, and completely different skintones (normal-yellowy and tan...), so I'm kinda stuck there.

Every time it looks like I'm coming close to getting bodies for all the floaters, though, another one falls into my lap...Sigh.

19. I may become an accidental headhunter. But, it's not my fault I can only afford an IoS head and not the entire body! But, I don't want to miss out on the head if I can get him. In the end, I guess it comes down to being cost AND "want" conscious. Like, getting a head that may become out of stock or is limited and being able to get the body later is better than completely missing out. :-D

20. Yep! ^_^

Four of my five floaters are LEs. ^^; Oops.