1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Headhunters arise!

Feb 23, 2010

1. I currently own six floating heads, mostly Minimee sculpts,
      I think there is no need for me to get a body for each of those since the
      aesthetics of most bodies in this hobby are pretty much the same
      (just vary in measurements, from what I’ve seen). So I’ll probably
      won’t be acquiring more whole dolls for a while or bodies for any
      of the heads, but I can definitely see myself getting more (& more) heads. XP

- Enzyme

2. You are so not alone! I have 9 heads here that are in need of a body! So far I've been managing well with so few bodies, but lately I feel some do need their own body so I do not get bored with them. You cannot dress and photograph them without displacing another.

Overall buying heads have been a life saver in acquiring those limited dolls that you may not have the money to buy as a whole. In my mind you can always save for the body later, but always try to avoid missing the head while the getting's good!

3. I understand headhunters.
      There are a lot of dolls, that I adored at unidoll but don`t bought them.
      Now I am very angry at myself because I want them T_____________T

4. I buy heads when I cannot afford the whole doll.....

5. Oh no definitely not.
      I am a bad procrastinator. That makes it really bad getting bodies for my two floating heads, especially with limiteds, brokeness, and the "maybe next year". I have been procrastinating on getting ace a new double joint body for two years. And I still need a body for her twin, ash (recycling, ahoy!), and a body for my reiko head. And then I have my soom ai r. head that I don't really know what to do with, and would like to get a body, but then again...I kinda like it just sitting there scaring people away. And then there's the whole viscous circle of event heads. You get one with a doll, then you get enough for the body if you love the head, but then you get a different event head. (- , - " )
      I find getting the heads and bodies later would be nice-but Soon My room would be a whole pile of heads, and only two bodies, because something will always get in the way.

6. Me too I don't know why= =but I difficult to control my self to buy the head~

7. Floating heads mean I end up trying to buy bodies for them. It is terrible, I can't just have heads lying around. :doh

8. I'm going to become a headhunter as well) I have one head without body, one in the process of making and two more in plans))) bodies? I'll think later:wiggle

9. "So many wonderful dolls to choose from. So many heads that can keep the dream alive."

Keep the heads rolling folks.

10. I have spare heads - my Super Gem body has four heads, but is actually owned by my SO Beryl. My HZ body has two heads, with the male head, Wangye, being the owner. The other head is supposed to be male, but mine is in fact unrepentantly female. I have no doubt I'll end up with more Soom and HZ heads. I have an incoming Iplehouse girl, and I'll be looking for spare heads for her too. It saves money, and it saves space, both of which are important. I rotate the heads so that everyone has a chance of sitting out for a while on the body. I've only bought heads when I've had a compatible body to put them on so none have been buried away in boxes half forgotten. While I'd like to get a second SG body so that I can have two Soom heads per body, and I'd like my second HZ head to have the female body she deserves, I could certainly live with things the way they are. It does mean that, without photo-editing, I can't do a proper group photo. However, I'm not sure I could ever tolerate a load of bodies cluttering things up if my dolls are never all out at the same time. If I had endless amounts of room, and a lot more money, then I could justify it, but it doesn't really suit my circumstances.

11. I see so many great heads on bodies I already have, so I purchase the head to keep the space needed for full sets open. That way I still get the "doll" I want.

12. Oh no, this is something I do not want to start! I already have the head collecting tendency, but am keeping it under control! So I do not have any floating heads (currently, lol).

So many beautiful sculpts! The agony of choice!!:o

13. I have 5 now in need of bodies, with a body on the way, so down from 6!

14. When I first entered this hobby I didn't really understand the whole "floating head" thing. But then Elfdoll made Reminisce heads for their black and white Catsys--had to have! And several months later I got an event head (winking) for my Souldoll Pin. Since these are different aspects of one doll, theoretically, I have no problem with switching them back and forth, but the more one handles these dolls, the more chance of damage to face-ups and resin. So, ideally, I would like to have separate bodies for the second heads, just can't justify the money.

My only other floater is a D.I.M. Lloyd and I would have bought it with a body but I wanted it to be an adult female and the only D.I.M. bodies available for it were male and young female. I ordered a body for her after I was able to compare the head to other dolls I have, for a resin match. But having to find a body that will match a head from a different company (including resin color, body size and type, neck size, etc.) without being able to physically see them together is such a pain, I don't think I will do it again.

15. Oh my you are NOT alone XD. I have a few specific dolls I definately plan to own and whenever I can I buy a head haha, they will have bodies one day though ;;3;;

16. Just be careful or you'll find you're stashing them all over the house. Freaked my dad once when he was visiting and opened a box to find someone staring back at him LOL!

17. You're definitely not alone. I'm currently waiting for 2 floating heads to come home.:lol:

18. Technically, I own two "floating entities". An additional Soom Monthly Mini head shares a body with a Doll Leaves Teenage Dream, and I've got two Elfdoll Lovely faceplates for one Elfdoll Lovely body. I have to confess that I play favourites though, this "sharing" is not done equally - there is a "main" head/face, and a "second" head/face in both cases.

The most important thing for me concerning floating heads is that the "spare" heads and the "main" heads have to be characters that never meet each other in the story they belong to.

19. Honestly, I hate having floating heads. >.<

I wish I could! It would make things so much easier :P

Even heads that should be alternates (ie. LTF sleeping heads & puki sleeping heads) end up getting their own bodies eventually.

20. I think I'm a head hunter now.

I used to think that most dolls were off limits because I couldn't fathom saving over a certain amount and not going crazy thinking about other ways I *could* spend that money. Buying a head allows me to buy from those companies without worrying about how much I'm spending. More and more, I'm becoming interested in doing a face up for my next doll (I don't want to try it on my two others), so I can also save money by not having to include face up costs - but if able, asking for a face up on that head isn't going to make me break the bank either.

When some companies have bodies that cost just as much as full dolls from other companies, having only a head can give someone the opportunity to shop around for bodies that don't cost as much, match the resin, and pose well. Right now, I have an AS Kana head on the top of my list, and I know that bodies cost around $400. I haven't gotten a lot of responses as to what works with AS resin, but the initial saving for the head hasn't started either, so I'm not worried. If it turns out that I'll need to spend the $400 on an AS body, so be it.

I have no problems having floating heads. The doll's head is what I consider to be 75% of the doll (I know that makes no sense, but that's how I see it, anyway). Headless bodies creep me out, and I'd probably worry that during some dark and stormy night, it's going to get up and slowly find its way over to me. And you can't do a lot with a body that could do with a head. Bodies just sit there. Heads at least allow you to somewhat bond to the doll because you can see their faces.