1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Holding other peoples dolls

Jul 15, 2011

1. I'll admit, I get nervous at times about holding someones doll.
      But it really isn't anything to be afraid of, haha. :)
      I prefer it if dolls are sitting on a table and I get to check em out that way.

2. I have trouble holding babies too, I always feel like I'm going to make them cry (they never do but still)

3. I've been holding my own dolls for years, so I don't feel nervous about them and that helps when holding someone else's doll.

I do try to be more careful, of course, since it's not my property, but I know the dolls are pretty sturdy and I know not to touch them on their faceups. I generally hold them on their clothed parts--nice and securely, so I'm pretty sure nothing will happen.

I have all sizes of dolls, so that doesn't bother me, either. I think it helps being used to my own dolls, and it helps knowing the owner is cool with others holding their dolls--which means they trust you not to do anything stupid AND they aren't too worried about making wrinkles in clothing, etc.

I'll hand off my dolls to other people. As long as they don't drop the doll or hold it by its face, I'm cool. :)

4. I'm not really 'nervous' per se, more a heck of a lot more careful than I would be with my own dolls. A lot of that is just respect for other people's property - what I am happy doing with my possessions a lot of other people wouldn't do with theirs.

I'm not even all that nervous when other people hold and play with my dolls - I know that person will take care of the doll, otherwise I wouldn't have handed it to them.

5. The first time I met a good friend of mine that I had met through DoA was at an anime convention-- she was running an Artist Alley table. She handed me the key to her hotel room and asked me to go get both of her SD-sized dolls from her room. I was totally terrified for sure. I had never met this woman before, and she was trusting me with her hotel room key and her BJDs! including one really expensive DD limited. It was only a couple floors up (the room) and so I had no problem getting them (I was going up for a drink anyway!) but the elevators were terribly crowded and people were drinking, and here is little me holding two dolls half as tall as I am, trying to squish into a crowded elevator!

I'm still really nervous when I hold strangers dolls, but not when people hold mine at all... I mishandle mine all the time already! they've got bumps and chips here and there, but I do their faceup and clothes myself so it doesn't matter to me if they get slightly messed up. At a semi-recent meet in a public space, there was a little girl carrying her American Girl with her to eat, and she came over to marvel at the dolls-- no one else wanted her around their dolls, but I allowed her to see and touch my tiny. ^__^ it's funny because I'm so nervous with others, but not mine at all.

6. I felt totally nervous the first time a doll owner at... I don't remember if it was at a doll meet or an anime convention now... but the first time someone I had known only for the space of a few minutes plonked their precious resin baby down in my hands, saying 'go ahead and hold him!'. That was after I had (very gingerly) handled my sister's doll a couple-few times, but before I had one of my own.

I'm still very careful when I'm handling someone else's doll at meets and such, but I'm a lot less needlessly paranoid now that I'm used to being an owner myself-- in fact, now I'm sometimes the one saying 'go ahead and hold him!' about my own doll.

=^__^=
      Anneko

7. I'm terribly nervous even though I've been handling dolls for years and I have many at home. I'm not so nervous with my own and I do handle my friends' dolls a lot, but the more expensive or rare they get the more nervous I get. Still, sometimes I think holding a doll is safer than walking about a room full of fragile resin beauty. Of course the worried look on the face of the owner is enough to make one uneasy. :sweat

But if someone offers their giant 70cm dolls I almost panic. I've tried to get used to bigger dolls but I can't hold them for more than 30 seconds before I give them back out of anxiety. xD

8. I think I would be nervous, mainly because I wouldn't want to break their doll. I would also be worried I was handling it wrong, I mean yes I know how to handle a doll, but I worry its not the right way sometimes.

I would never ask to hold anyones doll, thats because I'm too shy, I would only hold their doll if they asked me too and even then I'd be panicking.

9. I might be a bit odd, but i didn't feel awkward or nervous about holding someone else's dollie as i had been wanting to see one for a couple of years and suddenly found out that an old acquaintance had a few bjds and i was too excited and curious to think about anything else, though I did ask heaps of questions before I tried anything

Nowadays I don't really hold other people's dolls unless they're the larger ones and had their permission to hold them. I don't know, I find the weight actually comforting ^_^

EDIT: I guess the main question is whether you're comfortable with other people holding your dolls, as people who tend to be lenient with other people holding their dolls also seem to be comfortable holding other people's

10. I'm far more nervous when someone is holding *my* doll than if I'm holding theirs :XD: I treat other people's dolls the same way I treat mine - carefully and respectfully - but I guess I don't always trust others to do the same.

11. Despite having quite a few dolls myself, I still get nervous when I hold dolls that belong to people I've just met. I'm fine with handling my friend's dolls (superhero EID, SDF, and an SD16), but we've been friends for years and we got into the hobby together about 4 years ago. I do feel pretty honored when people offer to let me hold theirs though; a girl at A-kon a couple years ago let me hold her Hound and it was awesome :D
      And I have let people hold my dolls before (in addition to the friend I mentioned, haha). I'm still nervous when I do, but I just keep a close eye on them and make sure they know the basics of handling them. Nothing bad has happened so far
      (:

12. Haha... NOPE. :XD: It's weird because when I see people passing by with a pretty doll in their arms I'd be all "Can I hold him/her????? *3*" I know I'd be careful because I'm very careful with my own dolls. I love holding other people's dolls yet...I'm really paranoid when it comes to other people holding mine..orz. Especially if they've never handled a doll before.. >__<

13. Have you ever felt nervous or feel uncomfortable holding other owner's dolls

Oh yeah, and definitely it's a size thing. I have no problems when handed a big doll, since that's what I own, but every so often someone hands me one of those itty-bitty little finger high tinies and I'm deathly afraid I'm going to break it. x_X;;

14. Oh I am not nervous at all =D Unless the person who own the doll is being over protective(which I can understand) where the people fuss every time I move a joint. I tend not to hold these doll very long. (don't want to stress the other person)
      I just make sure to be carefull and hold them well. At our meets in montreal we often handle each others doll with no problem at all. When new members join us however we do ask them beforehand.

15. Well, not exactly nervous, but I remember how uneasy I felt when I had to hold Crystalenchantress' Fairy Nenad for about 20 minutes or more at the last LDoll. Reason: I wanted to look at her and while I was inspecting the cute little thing, C. had suddenly disappeared somewhere into the crowd looking for other things. Well, for the life of me I could not manage to sit that little thing down again, because of her wings and neither could I stand her, because of her fairy feet (and I was too afraid to scratch her precious bodyblushing anyway) so I just held her carefully in my hands until her rightful owner reappeared.

16. Frankly, **I** don't, unless they're someone I know really well. I have nerve problems, and that means that I can't always maintain a solid grip on things. My hands just spontaneously open. One of my dolls took a dive because of it earlier today, so I'd DIE if that happened to someone else's doll.

17. It definitely makes me nervous. The first time I ever held a BJD was at an Anime convention, and I wasn't expecting it. I was talking to the owner and fawning over her lovely dolls, but I never once reached out to touch them. I was content to just look and ask questions, but she eventually handed them to me, one by one. It terrified me quite a bit, but I was grateful that she trusted me. It was also amazing to finally get up close and personal with a BJD, for the first time. I'd only ever seen pictures before that.

When it comes to people holding my dolls, I'm okay with it to an extent. Other doll owners (like at meets and such) generally doesn't bother me, but random strangers? Not so much. There have been instances of people wanting to pet my little guy's head, but I'm fine with that. :lol:

18. The first (and only doll) I held which wasn't mine was an MSD. I only held him for maybe like 20 seconds, but I was pretty nervous because this was when I was still planning on getting one of my own and had no idea how to hold them yet. xD I thought of him like a delicate glass figure, so I was very careful.

19. Heck yeah I'm nervous. It is like holding someone else's baby, I just will not do it unless I absolutely have to. I have a look don't touch policy.

20. Am I nervous holding someone else's BJD? I don't know yet >.> I've only met a few other people who own BJDs, and none of them had any dolls with them there. I've handled my sisters dolls, and I'm only a bit nervous when handling them (Especially if they've just gotten them.) and I imagine that, yes. I would be nervous. I'm naturally pretty cautious when meeting people, so it would be rather nerve wracking to handle the doll of someone I didn't know very well. If I was close to the person, then I'd be okay with playing with and holding the dolls, but I'd never ask to hold a strangers doll. It would be too nerve wracking. I have few problems with letting other people hold my dolls (Depending on who they are) but I would be terribly nervous if I were to hold a strangers BJD.