1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Holding other peoples dolls

Jul 15, 2011

1. I'm a little bit nervous handling other people's dolls if I don't know them very well. I always worry that I'll drop or break them. xx; People at meetups are always super, super sweet about it, though-- at the last meetup I was at, someone let me hold their Iplehouse YID girl, since I was considering getting one at the time. :) It was great.

On the other hand, I handle my bff's and aunt's dolls like they're my own, lol. They trust me with them and I trust myself handling them. Actually, my aunt complains that I pose her dolls better than she does, lol (I keep telling her it's cos she's only had them a couple of months ;P).

I do kind of get super-nervous and protective if someone I don't know well (read: not my bff or aunt) handles my dolls, though. I don't mind, and I'll let people, but I will hover like an overprotective mother. XD

2. I've never held another person's doll. I don't have doll friends, really, and whenever I run into doll people at cons, we each have dolls in our hands, so we just chat a bit. Besides, I'd be too paranoid about messing up someone's doll even if I were offered to hold one.

However, I get really nervous when people hold my dolls, because people are so eager to touch the face. It's not that big a deal with dolls that I've given face-ups to, but when they still have the factory... I get sort of snappy, and I think I scared a girl once. :sweat

3. I've never actually gotten the chance to hold anyone else's dolls. I don't imagine I'd treat them any differently than my own, so I don't think I'd be all that nervous about doing it either. I have dolls of my own though, so I do know how to handle them. It's kind of different if you don't have one of your own, because you don't really know what "allowed". Also, the owner being a stranger seems like it would be a bit nerve-wracking as well.

4. I have been asked many times to hold, bring or even place other people's BJD among the bunch for some group shots.

Have you ever felt nervous or feel uncomfortable holding other owner's dolls
      I do not feel nervous nor uncomfortable. I always do like I handle my own, with caution and care, but I cannot help worrying anything could happen with the extra responsibility that what you are holding is another person's property.

5. The first doll I have ever held was my own, actually, so I was a little bit less nervous because he was my own. Afterwards I had gone to meets and cons and had a lot of "practice" so to say handling dolls and wasn't really nervous about holding them. A lot of my doll friends are naturally a little more play-like with their dolls, and handle them a lot and don't mind if I accidentally knock one over (as long as they don't fall a huge distance, obviously). However, with people's dolls who I am not as close with, I'll be a lot more careful with them and be a little bit more nervous handling them ><

6. The first doll I ever held was my own but with my friends, I hold them all the time. We all hold each others, so no one is nervous. Heck, I even give newbies mine to hold.

7. I dont like holding other peoples dolls unless I know them very well. I started back when Dollfie was the only brand and getting just one doll was a major event. dolls were alot more of a personal thing then and you didn't let just any one touch them. now I still kinda feel that way.

On side note. I was dead set against paying $800+ for a doll unto I was asked to doll set at a con.

8. I went to a huge meet-up this past weekend and was very nervous the whole time, because what if I trip and knock someone's doll over? There were some awesome people who let me hold their dolls too and I was still nervous because what if I drop him? I don't have my own doll and so I don't know yet just what the limitations are on their movement and the elastic, and while I know they're still pretty durable, what if I do something wrong and something breaks? The dolls I was handling weren't mine and so I REALLY didn't want something to go wrong.

Nothing happened of course, but I was still worried anyway. Plus, one of the rules is "don't touch without asking" but what if someone told me no? I'd feel kind of embarrassed then.

Being around objects that cost hundreds of dollars that aren't yours is pretty nerve wracking for me.

9. I am definitely very nervous whenever I hold another person's doll. Since I do face ups, I only get to hold their heads. Even though they're just heads, they're round heads. Very round heads that like rolling off of surfaces and hands :o. So whenever I move around with them beyond the work desk I am very aware of how I'm holding them and where they are in my hand. I've actually dropped one of my own heads once and, boy, do I never want to relive that moment again (especially with a head belonging to another). He didn't break but my heart was practically pounding out of my chest.

10. I am extremely nervous when holding someone else's doll. I realize that they can be more resilient than they look, but still, that's a lot of money there.

11. I am always extremely careful with other people's dolls and I never like to hold them for more than a couple minutes. Instead I prefer to set the doll down and inspect it while it's sitting or perhaps just ask the owner if she would be willing to show me how the joints and such move since as the owner she is likely to know the individual quirks of the doll way better than I would.

There are always little things about each doll that you never know could be a much bigger deal than they first appear. For example, my Elyisum Jamie has a huge head, and the wig he wears is a size too small for him and a HUGE pain in the rear to put on him. It's also extremely long and takes me awhile to detangle and style the way specific way I do. I'd be frustrated if someone wanted to see him and popped off his wig to inspect his headcap without asking me or accidentally undid his braid. Would it be the end of the world? No, but it would irritate me a bit since as I would have prefer they ask me first or ask if I could do it. But since it's something as simple as a wig I assume many wouldn't really think twice about it. However, these are the types of things I am concerned over which is why I'm very careful with others' dolls and spend more time just looking at them rather than actually handling or holding them.

12. I've never held someone else's doll, but I think I would be comfortable with it if a) the area we were in wasn't too crowded or b) they offered to let me hold it. I wouldn't ask someone I didn't know very well to hold their doll, but if they offered, well, fair game! :D

13. I will only hold a friend's dolls or someone I have known for sometime from meets but I usally do not find myself wanting to incase I were to do something wrong, I will, however, offer for others to hold my dolls~

Sometime ago when I was waiting for my first SD to arrive my friend had offered her SD to me to hold, and while I did, I did not feel comfortable for the most part. And mostly, I will only hold a doll to take a closer look and feel its weight but only for a few seconds.

14. I'm always really nervous holding someone else's doll. They're really expensive, and precious to their owners. I wouldn't want anything to happen to it. ^^;;;

15. I'm a little nervous at first (especially with larger dolls), but if the owner is okay with it, then I'm okay with it.

16. I have held one or two other stranger's dolls (I say stranger because I handle my sister's dolls all the time) and I didn't really like to handle them too much (the other people's dolls). I guess I was afraid of dropping them or moving them wrong...I suppose that sounds kind of ridiculous but I don't really like to hand off my dolls to others either.

17. If I know the owner of the doll, I don't have much problems with it. Though i'm more careful with other peoples dolls than my own.
      Mostly I'm sitting on a chair or sofa with the dolls on my lap, so they can't really fall :)

I prefer not to handle a strangers doll without them being near. When you don't know how someone treats their dolls, it's easy to make mistakes...

The nice things about friends is that it's not taken too bad when small accidents happen ... (not dealing any damage that is)

18. As someone who also doesn't have their first doll yet, I can understand how you feel. Though I think I would be nervous to hold other peoples dolls even if I did have my own. Considering the price of these dolls and how special they are to some people, I'm pretty sure I would probably treat them like their made of glass at first. :sweat

19. At the beginning, I was alway nervous about holding a Doll. I was new to the hole Doll-thing and my friend has a real big doll. First I didn´t know how to hold it right. But since then, I had a few Doll on my arms, and the nervousness is now gone.

20. I would hold someone elses doll if they offered but it is a bit nerve-wracking in the area that you are aware of how much they have spent on the doll. [At the same time this is probably a good thing to know so that you aren't careless]