1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Holding other peoples dolls

Jul 15, 2011

1. I've only been to one meetup and some girl in the lobby wanted to hold my girl so she handed me her doll. It was like...well what am I supposed to do with it. I'd already call him a her since he was super efeminite so I felt silly anyway. Needless to say I didnt hold "it" very long.

2. I haven't gone to any meets yet, haven't met with another doll person face to face...but I think I wouldn't touch somebody else's doll unless its smaller than an MSD, and even then, I'd worry about breaking or dropping it.

3. I felt a bit nervous at my first meet when someone allowed me to handle their doll ... I only had one by that time and wasn't quite used to handling dolls yet. But it's gotten a lot better. I've also allowed others to play with my dolls at conventions, I met a girl at Dolliverse who wanted an Iplehouse nYID for her first doll and I had mine with me, so we settled down in a corner and I handed her my doll to examine :lol:
      I should probably mention that I do my dolls' faceups and make their things and all that, so I'm not really afraid of anything happening to them. I play with my dolls a lot, I re-dress them and sew for them, and it's very important to me to be able to fix everything I might accidentally mess up (like a faceup or mods). So I don't really think anyone else could mess up my doll if they're careful ... the worst that could happen would probably be a finger breaking, and I'd either be able to repair that myself or get a replacement part.
      I should also mention that I'm used to being around musical instruments which are in quite another price range than dolls ... I'm a lot more afraid of something happening to my flute than to my doll(s). (Sorry, girls!)

4. I've never been to meetups yet and Im still waiting for my doll, so I still dont know how to handle them properly... I most probably wont hold them cause ill be afraid ill drop them. Once I get used to them overtime, maybe I will ^^

5. I am very touchy about holding other people's dolls/letting them hold my dolls. I've been to a few meet ups.

Generally, I don't have any interest in holding other people's dolls, unless I am looking to buy a doll from the company that the doll is from. For example, at the last meet up I went to, someone had a Luts Pine. I was just about to order my Luts KDF Unicorn Bory, but I wanted to make sure I liked the way the resin felt, and the way the joints held. I asked the group, "who owns this doll?". The owner said "I do!". I then asked if I could hold the doll. I didn't grab him (which I have seen! O_O). I gently picked up the doll, CAREFULLY bent the arms, and moved the legs back and forth. I didn't click the knee joints because I know some dolls are kicky, and I wouldn't want to risk breaking them or chipping the resin.

I get over-protective of my dolls at meets. I don't really like people to touch or hold them. I honestly don't really touch or hold them myself. My dolls are for looking at, that is just how I choose to handle them. I have them on display and very rarely take photos. At the last meet I was at, a young interested starting-up collector asked to hold my DOC Petsha. She has the kicky legs I have mentioned. When the girl bent her leg, it snapped up in to place rather harshly, and it startled me. I feel a bit guilty, I may have put her off from the hobby in a way because of my reaction. I tried to show her how to bend her legs properly, and then I took her back. I hope I wasn't too harsh ;-;

6. My boyfriend will readily express his dislike for my doll or teasingly threaten to sell her just to push my buttons. On several occasions he's picked her up which kind of freaks me out but usually he leaves her be when she's at my desk with me. If I'm making her an outfit and she's sitting bald and half naked on my desk and he comes over to bug me he'll give her a flick to her bald head. :sweat I usually tease him though and when he comments he doesn't like her I say she doesn't think much of him either or to stop looking at her she doesn't like him being a pervert and looking at her without clothes, hah. He just gives me a look like I'm absolutely crazy. :)

7. Nope never nervous about holding someone's doll. I'm lucky that the girl that introduced me to them was so awesome about it. She let me check out every single one she had. I'm also THAT person that thrusts her dolls upon admirers so they can get a better look :3nodding:

8. I'm not too nervous about handling other people's dolls, as long as it's with permission, but I do always ask before I do anything with them, and I rarely ask to handle one unless they're particularly fascinating or something I'm considering. For instance, at a previous convention, someone at the official meet had a doll on a body I was strongly considering but, due to the price, I wanted to see in person before I actually bought. I asked first if I could look at him (and mentioned why), and then asked again before moving him around/pulling clothes to get a better look/etc. I was more careful with him than I was with my own dolls! And really grateful for the chance to get a good solid look at him, too, it helped sway my decision.

Similarly, if someone asks to hold one of mine, if they're a doll owner I'll generally not be too nervous about it. If they're not, I'll caution them about handling and make sure they know to be careful (and perhaps hover a bit more), but unless something sets me off as not right, I'll still let them examine a bit more. After all, it might be what helps sway them into the hobby!

9. I went to a local meet Saturday and I just couldn't stop holding one member's doll. He was just so adorable and sweet, I think I fell in love. I try to be very careful with other people's dolls, definitely don't want ANY accidents to happen! At first I didn't think I'd ever heard of the doll's sculpt but as soon as I typed it in I recognized him. I had been looking at him earlier this year. What a coincedence.

10. I've never held another person's doll before,but I think I would be very nervous about it. I don't know why. It's not like I would touch the face or anything like that.

11. I've had my own BJD for about two years, and am a generally nervous person. I'm not nervous about holding my own dolls or doing things with them at all. I take them to conventions, in my purse, or outside. But I hate handling other's dolls. I have some friends with dolls, and I've gotten more comfortable around one friend's doll, but for the most part, I try to avoid touching them. At meets, I don't even ask to hold another's doll. What's weird though, is that I can somewhat easily allow other people to hold on of my beloved dolls. The size of the doll doesn't seem to affect these feelings. I own a tiny and SDs, but I feel nervous about other's dolls of any size.

12. I would generally try to avoid touching other people's dolls. They are expensive, somewhat fragile and NOT mine - this is enough reason for me to be nervous about handling them. :)

13. When I held my first doll for the first time, I was terrified. I quickly got over that though and now feel pretty comfortable holding him and my other dolls. I've never actually held someone else's doll, but if I did, I sure would be very careful! More so than I am with my own. I would just feel terrible if I accidentally damaged it knowing that it was not my own doll *_*. I think, overall, I would be okay holding someone else's doll and I think it would be fun! :) But I would just be more aware is all.

14. When I held someone else's doll for the first time, I'd already had my own for over a year--but I was still terrified I was going to mess her up somehow. I held her very gingerly and sort of turned her around to look at her before handing her back with a red face. I had never seen an MSD in person, I knew how much this particular sculpt cost, and was scared to break her. xD

Nowadays I am quite comfortable with other peoples' dolls, but I still handle them with 10x the care I do my own. Recently I handed one of my own dolls off to a newcomer to the hobby, (quickly, as I needed to adjust something and my hands were full) and I will never forget the look of shock and horror and exultation on this individual's face! It brought back memories of when I first started out.

15. When I unboxed my first doll, I handled him like he was made of glass. I had never seen one in person so I didn't know what to expect. I had only read online that they were fragile. I've learned that they can withstand more than you'd expect, but of course I wouldn't test that. XD;

I'm usually very honored to be offered another person's doll to hold, because I know then that they trust me. I am SUPER protective of my own dolls, so for me to hand one of my dolls over means I trust you too. >X<;

16. I turn nervous too. I am worried about all the what-ifs and accidents that can happen.

17. A friend of mine during a con let me hold her DD Saber Alter. It was the best feeling ever. Though I kinda felt nervous in holding her because I never thought a DD would weight that much. And I think I messed up the wig. But my friend says it's okay because the wig's long and it's natural for long wigs to tangle more. ;A;

18. Haha, I have these feelings with newborn babies xD That's why I never carry one until after their about a year old.
      As for dolls, I've never actually touched or held anyone else's dolls, because where I live, there's only about five people I know of that are into BJD's, and we have never seen each other or had a meet up or anything lol.

However, I personally dislike someone touching my doll. I won't get mad, but I'm really sensitive when handling my own doll, but others who don't own resin dolls don't know how delicate they can be and assume "it's just a doll, it's supposed to be moved around and played with, so calm down". My older sister treats my doll like a Bratz doll, (you know how they have flexible arms and can be twisted around?) and would twist her hands playing with her and posing her pointy finger to her mouth and such, but ugh she's too rough and gets angry when I tell her to stop so I don't know what to doooo :')

19. I'm not particularly nervous about holding someone else's doll but I do get nervous and hover if someone else holds one of mine. I'm very careful and hold them firmly around the waist so they cannot tip over but I know other owners who are much less careful. Most of mine are over 65cm too so they are pretty big and would get damaged if they fell. People with only tiny's don't always realize how to handle the bigger/heavier dolls.

20. I don't really like holding other people's dolls... very recently a very good friend of mine lent me her MSD for a couple of days and at the beginning I was really happy, but after a few hours I started to worry about the doll falling or breaking and all sorts of crazy things... I ended up calling my friend to give the doll back!