1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Holding other peoples dolls

Jul 15, 2011

1. I don't recall being particularly nervous the first time I held a BJD (he was my friend's doll). I was just very careful with him. If anything, I wasn't nervous about holding him, but I was nervous about touching his faceup and messing it up or something. Now that I have my own doll, I'm not nervous about holding dolls at all--I've carried him all over and interact with him on a daily basis, so I think I know how to handle them (though I might be a little nervous about handling a tiny, as I've never held one before).

More than being nervous about dropping them or something, I just don't feel comfortable touching a doll without the owner's permission. I've noticed this is less the case with my close friend's dolls, whom I've handled quite often--the other day, I even touched one of them to reposition their head for a photo without asking her first. She didn't say anything, but I just instantly felt sort of bad about it, so I was sure to ask her afterwards before moving him again.

I mean, it really depends on my relationship with the owner of the doll, how comfortable I am holding them. I'm always very careful with them, but I know that if a stranger ever touched my doll without permission, I would probably flinch and get rather peeved...

2. I never got the courage to ask to hold anyone's doll I met at the meet. I wouldnt trust myself XDD

3. I get really nervous handling other people's dolls. @.@ I have terrible wrist problems, and because of this, I have very weak, unreliable wrists. My hands often "release" whatever I'm holding, with little (if any) warning. So when I handle other people's dolls, I am especially cautious. I try not to hold them while standing, or if I do, I try to place them on a surface, like a table, and examine them more closely from there.

Handling my own dolls is troublesome enough sometimes, but I at least know their weights/how to handle them so my hands don't let go, so yeah. I'm very careful ^ ^

4. Yes Yes! I'm exactly the same I do not have my own BJD yet so when my friend lets me hold his I am always really nervous!
      To be honest I am more nervous in general because I know their personal value and cost- but it feels good that he trusts me enough to be around them... :)
      I actually do hold them for a second and them admire from afar...

5. I think im more worried about the owners as some people are more protective about their dolls than others as the last thing I would want is for a person to freak out about me holding their doll in a wrong way, not that I would but I guess its in the back of my head while I hold someone else doll.
      I do find it easier when I actually know the owner.. make me feel a bit more comfortable holding the doll.. rather than holding a doll of someone whom I do not know.

6. Oh, yes.
      The first time when I held a doll from a friend I was really nervous and felt uncomfortable.
      The feeling change a little bit but I'm still nervous when I hold a BJD from a other person. So I think it is a normal feeling.

7. everyone get nervous holding other people's dolls, i think, considering the amount of money they put in them, and how aware are we of a total klutz we are and the probability of us dropping said doll at that time,
      and the likeliness of having to sell one kidney to sell them back.

during group meets and dolls photo shoots, usually the person taking the photos ask the owner to shift their doll into position, or ask permission. i am less nervous with someones DD than a BJD. I am very careful
      but all situation is like "it can happen to you" kind of thing. Like you're holding someone's doll and some ran into you accidently, and its not your fault, but to the eyes of the owner, "you're the dropper."

i feel this way too~

8. For some reason, I'm really comfortable with other owners holding and posing my doll, but I always get nervous if they offer me their doll. I guess I kind of have a thing about not handling other people's precious property, but I enjoy seeing others get excited over my own stuff

9. I'm constantly aware of being careful when I hold other people's dolls. I'm careful with my own of course, but not to the point of holding them like spun glass like I do with other people's.

10. I was truly nervous on my first time holding my friend's dolls.
      But I still feel a bit of it, even I already have dolls.

I don't mind about the size, but I kinda afraid something bad will happen while I hold their dolls.
      For example if someone accidentally bumps with me... ;A;

11. I just try to be very careful and respectful.

12. I think if I had been offered to hold someone's doll before I had my own, I'd be a bit nervous. But thankfully I haven't interacted with the doll community in person yet and I already have held several dolls since there's 4 living in my household right now (3 of them belong to my girlfriend, so they're not actually mine and she lets me carry them around everywhere. Plenty of practice!), so while I'll probably still be cautious and hold it protectively and with respect, I don't think I'll have an issue if someone at a meet or a con offers to let me hold their resin child. :)

13. It's natural to get nervous right XD
      I ever held this heavy 72cm boy of my friend, I was very nervous back then since that heavy boy way much expensive than mine XDD
      Maybe it's different feeling if I hold my own SD boy/girl :)

14. I always ask if I'm at a meet up and want to hold or pick up one of the dolls, always careful and NEVER picking up a doll I can't handle...(One word: Iplehouse MSD.) And I don't mind if people in my meet up group pick up or hold my dolls without asking. I know they know how to be careful and I trust them.

15. I'd be SUPER careful when holding someone elses doll!!
      For me my dolls are my very very special OC's so they mean SO much to me, i understand the attachment one can have..
      SO i'd be super careful. (Also i'd wash my hands just in case so i dont get them dirty!)

16. I don't mind when other people hold my dolls but I'm always pretty nervous if someone offers me theirs. I'd rather just appreciate them from afar!

17. I get soooo nervous that I haven't even held a full doll yet! People have told me it's okay, but I'd hate for something to happen because I suddenly get a case of butterfingers.

18. Okay, so, I went to my very first doll meet today. At first, I was nervous about touching other people's dolls, and when people offered "do you want to hold him/her?" I would say "oh, no thank you, I'll just look", because I wasn't sure exactly how careful and protective other people are with their dolls, but then I noticed that everyone else would just pick up each other's dolls and pose them and play with them and change their clothes and wigs with no worries at all, so that made me less nervous and I ended up giving in and having a play with almost all of the dolls there :3nodding:

19. It was probably about two years before I'd even decided on getting a bjd when I first held one. I was out in the city with my friend (who was indeed the one that got me into these delightful dolls) and she brought one of her girls with her. I ended up holding her for an hour or two after lunch and it was so nerve wracking! But when I handed her back at the end of the day my friend said she'd have trusted her doll with no one else and that I was a natural.
      Though, truth be told, I do feel more comfortable holding a doll as opposed to a baby.

20. I get nervous handling other people's dolls. On the other hand it depends on my relationship with the owner of the doll. I'm always very careful with dolls and hold them only for a minute...And I try to be very careful