1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Homes for Tinies discussion part 4

Mar 7, 2016

1. Paperclay is an air dry product but you don't want to build a whole house out of it, just because it is paper clay- You'd need an awful lot of the saggy heavy expensive stuff, when you could make the walls, floors and roof out of say, cardboard, or wood, or anything else better suited to be walls and floors and roofs. People use it to accent walls, or to make small accessories or parts.

2. I want to build a structure first of wood and cardboard first, but I like the look paperclay gives. It is not that smooth as some other types of clay. Now I have to see if I can find it in the Netherlands.

3. Hi monsterdoll, it's really easy - and cheap:thumbup - to make paper clay yourself. There are loads of tutorials out there. Here are just a few:
      - How to Make Paper Clay
      - How to Make Air Dry Paper Clay That Doesn’t Crack - DIY & Crafts
      -
      -
      Lots more on Youtube.
      If you want to use white glue for your recipe, I know Action in the Netherlands sells "Tacky Glue'' for 0,89 euro per 100 ml bottle.

And if you like the fairy house in the 3rd link, I got a similar glass jar from Aldi. Think it contained olives. Not sure, bought it for the jar rather than what it held :lol:. Depends on the size of your doll of course. Their pickle jars they sometimes have are bigger.
      Also, even when using a glass jar, it should be fairly easy to cut it so you have more of an accessible area. I've found some tutorials on that as well for a project I hope to do next year.

4. Ah I see a translation issue. Paper clay, in English, means a clay made with powdered paper as well as a mineral base, like DAS or Creative Paperclay.
      Papier Mache or Paper mache is a mushy pulpy stuff made of paper pulp which can be made at home and which you can do rough sculpture with. That video there is about what most crafters would call paper mache.

5. And to muddy the water even further, I think there's a brand of papier mache that's called Paperclay.

One word of advice, though: if you spread paper mache over cardboard or foamcore, it will tend to warp. Plan to wet the other side or weigh it down while it dries.

6. Thanks for that info. I was wondering if it might be good for something Pukipuki sized or Pukifee sized. That kitchen is uber cute!

7. Oh I totally missed seeing this post earlier... I'm not sure if any of the Brimnes ones work, but if it was the Flisat you're thinking of, it would actually be about the perfect size for 1/8 dolls. It's just slightly too short for 1/6 (though still tempting), so slightly smaller would be a very nice fit to it. (I might have to take my oddball 1/8 doll to test the theory next time I'm at Ikea, in fact.)

Are they roughly in scale for a traditional dollhouse, or smaller than even that? I've got one I'm planning to populate with Puki-sized dolls after I finish building it, and these would be super cute for decorating the inside if they're the right size.

8. vicemage, you can see many of the houses here https://kixkillradio.com

She builds a lot of those houses and she uses some of them for her nendroids, so you can see how the scale works. She has youtube channel with how she builds from the kits, and how she plays with the dolls. She has tons of ideas for miniatures - kits and made from scratch, too. And she usually customizes the houses with her own colors and fabrics and such.

I think most of the dollhouses like that are about 1:24, so it might not work even for realpuki, but some still might - there are so many of them! That tiny kitchen I am making might work, we will see. I am still completing small pieces that are then attached to walls before the main building assembly.

9. There are lots of Youtube videos of people putting kits like those together. You should be able to get a better idea of scale from the videos.

10. Ah! I just put an IKEA Flisat in my room! I can show you the size! It would work for 1/8 or smaller dolls, so Pukifee-ish sizes or littler. Mine has my Littlefees in it but they look like kids in a playhouse. I still intend to deck it out for them to be a kind of roombox display space.

[​IMG]
      Here it is. As you can see, it's a bit small for a YoSD, but it could be a huge and lofty mansion for a Realpuki (shown on the right. Further right in greeny blue is a Hoot figurine by SeedDolls) so there's the rough idea of scale for tinies. There's no "door" in the bottom floor dividing wall so if you want one there, cut it before you assemble the thing. You could have that smaller downstairs room be the entryway and hall with stairs if you cut a hole into the upper floor too. It can be tricky to put together but it's fun.

#92 Rosslyn, Feb 4, 2018
      Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
    11. I did mull over the Flisat when I first saw it, but I don't have any dolls that would fit in it (fortunately!). But it is a great base for a dollhouse, you can even add a little loft bed in the roof part since it's so tall.

12. I had the furniture for my Lati Yellows and it was a perfect size so I think you are very right when you say the house would be perfect for LY or Pukifee.

I will buy one for my new incoming Pukifee and let you know, lol

13. I could put my pukifees in it if that'd help? I just didn't for that picture... (not sure why). Mine are multiheads but you can see roughly what the size is like.

Okay here they are- the one in the hawaiian print shirt is Jules and he's a Multihead Juri.
      [​IMG]

#95 Rosslyn, Feb 7, 2018
      Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2018
    14. Thanks for doing that! I had used the IKEA furniture that goes with this house (particularly the living room stuff) with Lati Yellows and as Pukifees are about the same size, I thought it would work.

But your picture shows what an awesome doll display piece it can be without any furniture at all!! love your dolls.

15. Thank you and you're very welcome! I think it would work as a lofty modern home for pukis or other teenytinies, as well. I plan to wallpaper mine and make it look more home-like. I've made a little fireplace for it.

...:doh I just realized...
      Today I finished the big realpuki fairy treehouse I built for my BFF and totally forgot to take pics before I let her take it home. Ah well, we can get pics when it's got the furnishings properly in it. It's built like a hollow tree-trunk and designed to fit in a wall corner.

16. OMG! I am so happy I found this thread as I am learning so much about putting dollhouses/rooms together and all your houses have been so inspirational. I started looking at dollhouse stuff online about 6 weeks ago when I decided to try to get an Amelia Thimble and I've been really obsessive about it. But now that I've found this thread, I've totally lost my mind. I didn't think to look for something like it here but I found it by accident on a Pinterest link or something like that. I've been making my way through part 2 and I'm up to p. 19 of 52. It will be a shame if that becomes inaccessible because there are so many useful tips in it.

I got my Izzy Thimble last week and yesterday, the Haba dollhouse I ordered off Ebay came yesterday. It was a great deal, about $50 with shipping for a very sturdy 1:12 all wood one room + tiny loft dollhouse with 6 wooden play dolls and assorted furniture. I figured it would make a good starter dollhouse for my shelf in the sewing room but I'm almost worried it will be too heavy because it is that sturdy. Then when I get some fairy houses and/or bigger kit houses built, I can send it on to the grand-nieces. Then yesterday, I went by Goodwill and picked up a funky birdhouse that might work as the base for a fairy house, plus a cheesy little wooden turntable. I hadn't seen AuntBear's post about making dollhouses from thrift/dollar store picture frames yet or I would have looked closer at those. I did see a jewelry/music box built like an armoire with a glass door that needed work but didn't get it. It would have been for a bigger doll.

I just learned about Rement at the BJD meetup I went to on Sun and I am afraid to look at that stuff because I am already overwhelmed by all the ideas and options.

Edit: So, apparently, I misspoke. The dollhouse that I got may not be Haba. It might be Plan City. It appears that the dolls are Plan City and some of the furniture is something else entirely. I need to take pics.

Thanks for the info on the Flisat. I was considering getting one of those when I found the Haba. I didn't realize that it came unassembled (well, duh) which makes it easier to modify before assembling. I think it needs a downstairs doorway between the rooms, cutout for stairs and maybe a little loft. It kind of bugs me that the upstairs ceiling is higher than the downstairs.

Wow! that is a great house for RealPukis. I am jealous. I had given up on finding a cute readymade cottage that worked for them. The Calico Critter houses seem to be 1:24 which is too small for 4" dolls as they are scaled for 3". According to a dollhouse site I visited, Sylvanian and Djeco are 1:16 which is 4.5" = 6' that works better than 1:12 if you want a cozy cottage look. Djeco is a very modern style.

There seems to be some question about what scale Playmobil is. I've found 1:20 and 1:24. I need to go back to the upscale toy store with a ruler. LeToy Van and Hape are 1:12. I need to track down Fisher Price Little People again to get the scale. Lundy is 1:18.

I've seen some cute houses that are hinged and have carrying handles but I don't know if Sylvanian Family ever made one. All the otherplastic ones that i've found seem to be 1:24. That cute cheap wood castle at Michaels seems to be 1:24 but I want to check again.

All those 1:24 kits from China are so cute. I keep looking at them and trying to figure out a way to modify them to use the cute parts. Has anyone tried their furniture with RealPukis? I saw a post where someone had modified a 1:12 house for a doll bigger than 6", so it might be doable but I have so many ideas and projects that this one will have to wait.

#98 Bevbh, Jul 17, 2018
      Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2018

17. Bevbh:
      "Sylvanian Families" hasn't made a portable house that I know of, but their Compeditors "Calico Critters (of Cloverleaf Corners)" HAS made one – and I have it! It's got two rooms and some drawers that can be used for storage, then removed entirely during play, adding two more rooms to the house. It is pre-painted on the inside with scenes from a suburban house, so it's always furnished even if you don't have any actual furniture to populate it. The closing "wall" lays flat when opened to create another room, or courtyard area. Calico Critters is/are the exact same scale as Sylvanian; often you can find their (used) furniture sold interchangeably on eBay, because unless you're an expert you can't really tell them apart. Be prepared to pay a lot for shipping; it's not heavy because its made of cardstock, but it is quite a sizable thing to send through the mail.

S.F. & C.C. are in perfect scale with PukiPuki, and a little large-ish for Realapuki. Some people like the feeling of out-of-scale cuteness that happens when pairing Puki with the too tall 1:12 scale – they're like fat little children, LoL, but I am happy with my "custom-sized" Puki habitat. I will try to assemble some furniture of various scales (like standard 1:12 or ReMent which is 1:6) and make some comparison shots of mine for everyone.

Here are few listings from eBay – This one is reasonable but it's missing its drawers, and looks a bit warped:
      Calico Critters CloverLeaf Corners CARRY and PLAY HOUSE CASE | eBay

Here's one for more money because It has the storage drawers and comes with extras:
      Calico Critters House | eBay

18. Oh, that is very cute. I didn't know CC made any paperboard carrying cases/houses. It reminds me a lot of the [Paddywhack carrying case](Doll carrier) that has been very popular with Amelia Thimble mom's only it is more houselike.

I bought another dollhouse today. This one is a Fisher Price Sweet Street cottage that has 2 wings that fold out. Its doors are 3 1/4" tall but I bought it anyway because it is so darn cute and I can always send it to the grandnieces. I mentioned to DH that I have bought 4 dollhouses in the past few weeks if you count the used birdhouse from Goodwill and that got his attention that I might have a problem.

(https://static-mercariapp-com.akamaized.net/photos/m21413655037_1.jpg?1528570251) Its like this one but green on the outside. I was really impressed with the detail on the climbing rose on the side wall.

#100 Bevbh, Jul 18, 2018
      Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2018