1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Horses for larger dolls

Sep 12, 2006

1. It looks like it's really hard to find horses for SD dolls! I've been looking through the forum and saw that the My Twinn line is already discontinued, while the other recommended brand has yet to gone into mass production (the one with the Arabian horses iirc). So I decided to settle on a 'pony' look and went to buy a used Our Generation Morgan off Ebay.

He's a lot bigger than I thought! Still a bit small (those stirrups look ridiculous with AS Xi Shi's long legs), but I'm happy with this for now. It's a lot better than what I could've made on my own! Pics in spoiler tag below:

[​IMG]
      The box from the seller was a combo of other boxes taped together

[​IMG]
      Here it is for comparison next to a regular AS box for my 62cm girl

[​IMG]
      Height comparison (sorry, I don't know why it flipped!)
      [​IMG]
      Excuse the doll nudity too, her clothes haven't arrived yet

[​IMG]
      She looks huge on the horse but it's still semi-believable xD

[​IMG]
      I'm just happy the horse can hold up her weight well

[​IMG]
      Until next time!

2. Awesome! What little girl doesn't want a pony? I've seen people ride their small ponies like that, so not so off :D

3. I think I found the Nahar site, and I am DESPERATE for a horse, haha. But I don't see any way to order?
      1/3 Scale Horses

This is what I found when I searched. Anyone have any input? T-T this thread hasn't been responded to in like 2 years, but.. my girl needs a horse.

4. Yeah, that's Nahar's site, but I don't know if they've sold them for a while, now, which is unfortunate. I still really want one, too.

5. @Shulamite horses are so beautiful and detailed. I love them.

6. Man I feel so lucky to have snagged the My Twinn models when I did! (5 ish years ago) There needs to be more 1/3 options available! @Shulamite I am absolutely in love with your model. Do you sell them blank as well? Super stoked to see how the drafty one turns out. They are where my true love lies in the horse world! :D

7. The problem with these large horses really is weight and space. Therefore, they are difficult to ship or generally transport - or to lug around, if you will. That means, taking them out for photoshoots in nature is a chore. And if you really want them as a BJD horse, it would almost be better to develop some kind of system to take them apart and carry them e.g. in a big trekking backpack (am I crazy? - maybe).

Sizewise: I have mostly 70 cm guys. So my "Friesian", who already is the size of a small Shetland Pony is no more to them than a smallish Andalusian or a Haflinger. If I wanted them to be in scale to a normal sized Hanoverian (or similar breed), the BJD horse wither height needs to be 20 cm higher (after all, a human's feet normally are covered by the belly of a Hanoverian). Of course, all the other dimensions would need to grow proportionally in size. And by then, I might end up with the question from my hubby "The horse or me"...eeh. Or we build a stable for them (after all, you can't keep one horse alone).

8. Honestly, I don't think that my partner would care how big the SD-sized horse was. They only want one, and our backyard is pretty wooded, so carrying it outside for pics wouldn't be too much trouble.

I, on the other hand, wouldn't mind a SD-sized Pegasus. ;)

Ryu

9. I had hoped to have some photos to show by now, but I’ve been working on a large horse too. At this stage I’m essentially needlefelting polyfil over a wire and wood frame.

Unfortunately, though I just came back from the states, I forgot the jumbo box of fluff and apoxie sculpt I needed to continue. (And just when I’m on quarantine for having been out of the country, too... ok, deep-cleaning the house it is...)

I’ll link a project journal here when I resume work.

10. @Havra That sounds really interesting! I can't wait to see how it turns out! :kitty2

11. After having acquired a 3D-printer, I am about printing this little sweetie: horse (BJD) by dmstlrc

Yes, it is a BJD horse. As you know me, I have tweaked it a bit. The hooves looked a bit strange, and I am about developing a way to attach a real-hair mane (if you want, a mane wig). Same with the tail. Yes, there is a plastic variant, but I thought it would look funny in combination with the haired mane. Oh, and in the size required for a 70 cm doll, I also developed a pair of ball-jointed ears (horses talk, among others, with their ears). When I am done, I will add these customizations to thingiverse.

I have no idea whether this horsie will be able to carry a big BJD man, but we will see. I am printing my version in my favourite horse color - golden dun.

12. holy guacamole! Can't wait to see that! :o

13. @Ipledreamer - Oh, I was hoping someone would try something like this. ^_^ And yes, the ears definitely should be poseable too! Good luck and let us know how it goes!

14. Watching for this! I recently printed Dmstrc's cat, at 200%. It turned out well, but is a little too heavy for itself, and flops down. I have not yet tried sueding the joints.

I considered printing the horse too. Thanks for being braver than me!

15. Can't wait to see what you come up with, your work is awesome!

16. Wow, that would be super cool! You could always try wiring the joints ?

17. You all know I am crazy. If it sags (which may happen), I will feed wire through the entire body, and some through its legs. Here are two pictures. One already contains my hoof modification, and the other shows the full head, ears separate joints (I could not get them to stay in their sockets, they still need to be fitted with tiny hooks and strung). As you can see, the head is quite nicely detailed:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For the eyes, I will get a pair of taxydermy horse eyes. I find these quite realistic, and I am going for realistic here. Oh, and the guy standing next to the horsey parts is my 70 cm Thor. I wanted a horse that really looks good with the big boys, and I am sure this will fit the bill.

For anybody interested: The printer we use is a Prusa MK 3. It has a build volume of somehing 20x20x30 cm. So the big parts such as chest, belly and behind will require to be printed in at least two parts (we will see about that), and glued together. As this pony is printed in PLA, there is no chance of welding these parts together. But plastic glue is also quite strong. I hope it will be strong enough to hold the string tension.

Oh, and for sizing: I am using a factor of 675.

18. I think he's too big??? The horse, that is. I'm afraid your guy will look too small on it. Think about the size of a big man's foot related to, say, a Friesian or, head to say lower leg? Ugh, just hope you didn't print more before evaluating that?? :chomp:

Hope I'm wrong!

19. @Ipledreamer
      I'm really curious how your BJD horse will look in the end. :cheer