1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Horses for larger dolls

Sep 12, 2006

1. @Ipledreamer Oooooh! I can’t wait to see how this turns out!

My own horse project is still stalled, as I can’t justify buying more polyfil when an unopened 10lb box awaits me at my parents’ place in the states. I may not see them again until midsummer. What a facepalm moment when I realized what I’d done.

The horse is bumping around my craft room totally in the way at all times as a constant reminder.

2. @Ipledreamer, I think I am wrong, in pieces, it just looked so big, but this picture is supporting what I see in your photo, sorry!!!
      [​IMG]

3. @IngieBee: Oh, but that's totally fine. After all, horses come in all sizes. I just wanted to go with a rather "average" horse size for the big guys here. We are so used to horses who would be considered rather ponies for all kinds of dolls. Of course it is a matter of space and where to keep them, but if you want not only good-looking pictures (here you can do a lot with optical tricks - perspective, distances, detail shots, etc.), but also look good in reality, you have to go the route of a somewhat larger and particularly taller horse. We have to make them ourselves.

If I look at your picture, it looks as if again my horsie might be rather again a bit short. Oh well...then he will be another Iberian. I prefer these anyways, and there a height of 1,60 m to a 1,80 m man is normal.

4. Oh YAY, I'm glad to see that someone is 3D printing a large horse! I can't wait to see what it'll look like when you're done, I want one for my 60cm boys!

Ryu

5. @Ipledreamer , I hope it'll turn out perfect and can't wait to see it assembled!!! This is really exciting to watch!!

6. When it's done...well...that may well take another month, particularly the gigantic parts. Additionally, my dear daughter is printing her own, smaller version of that same horse (for some well-known, albeit off-topic dolls). Hers is just 1/6, there it prints much faster.

I will show how when something important happens. I will not make something like a WIP though.

7. Ipledreamer - your progress pictures are awesome!! Keep posting them please! I wish I could have a massive horse too... but no where to put it, so I will live through your photos.

8. @Ipledreamer you are doing something I can only wish my machine could handle- I have a small resin 3d printer, but we're going to size up soon. if your horse works out I may be next in line to follow your example :D

9. When horsie is put all together and I see everything works, I will make sure to upload the changes (mobile ears, tailpiece for real hair application, mane parts for hair application, customized hooves) to thingiverse. Though I think that it really only works for 1/2.5 or 1/3 horses. Maybe (big maybe) for 1/4 horses.

10. Parts too tiny?

11. Omg Ipledreamer this is what we have been waiting for! Please keep going!
      Amazing work :)

12. I had to reorder filament. Funny thing: similar problem as when ordering BJD parts, which are from the same company, but ordered at different times. That stuff also varies from batch to batch. The one I got now is clearly lighter/a tad pinker.

So there will be some color variation within the body parts. Oh well, I can live with that. I want to paint him anyways, so it is just important that the filament beneath somewhat matches the colour used.

Right now, the chest part is printing, Four parts...ugh. All the separations for the rest is also done so far. You clearly need a really capable computer for that kind of stuff.

13. [QUOTE =“ sophie,post:1113295,member:6020”]嗨,大家好
      我在哪里可以买到合适的模型马
      SD13尺寸的玩偶??我想避免购买
      通过互联网。你知道任何一家商店
      随身携带一个?我已经尝试过toysRus,但他们没有一个。
      预先感谢。[/ QUOTE]
      [​IMG] I have seen this

14. I am sorry, I cannot read this. Can anybody please translate it into English?

Well, I printed out the final part of the horse's neck. I was clever enough to print the pieces in such a way that the part is checkered:

[​IMG]

That is no biggie, as I will paint the whole horse anyways.

15. @Ipledreamer , Is it hard to sand those? Maybe a thin putty coating would help? Gosh it's really getting exciting! What type of primer/paint do you plan on using?

16. When the model glue has fully dried, my husband suggested to mill a groove along the seamlines. As I also have 3d printing pen (yes, I had to have one of those as well), I can then fill in this groove with PLA filament. This will result in some type of plastic welding, which will strengthen these weak spots a bit more. After all, I am afraid that I will have to use really strong elastic to avoid sagging of the middle part.

For a primer I think I will use some clear, matte hardware store stuff I also use for faceups?

17. There is always also wiring??? For the middle, or, depending on size, a wood dowel? You might need a primer first for paint to stick, but I have no idea about that plastic and how well it takes to paint. Might want to experiment :D He's going to be the coolest horse ever!!!

18. Well, I do not sand the overall surface, as due to 3D-printing, it has some grip to it. What my husband suggested: when the model glue is fully dry, I will make a very small groove along the seams, to make them little bit deepr and wider. This groove will be filled with PLA coming out of a 3D printing pen (yes, I had to have one of those as well). That way, some kind of welding is achieved.

When that is done, I will have to sand the welding marks. PLA itself is pretty soft, but you have to be careful not trying to use too much torque on the Dremel. When the torque is too high, the material will just melt and create some nasty plastic, which has to be sanded again. You really don't want that.

All of that is theory by now. I think I will grab some trash PLA pieces and try it first there. Just to see if it a) works at all and b) if you get really and kind of advantage.

19. You mean a wood dowel through the body? I do not want to do that, as the body is jointed. For a support, it would also not be ideal. I might have to come up with something adjustable, to accomodate for jumping and rearing poses (if it can do that, I do not know yet).

But let's not take one step ahead of another. I really have to concentrate at what I am doing right now. Otherwise, this won't get finished (and I am famous for that).

20. Here you can see the full horse in a smaller size:

[​IMG]

Looks nice, but sadly there are several constructional issues:

a) I had to install with my 3D-Pen several stop spots at hips and knees. Otherwise, it would buckle permanently (we know that problem, don't we?).
      b) The construction of the hindlegs looks nice, but as it is only attached by elastics to the center, there is a serious downfall. The back center shows a clear tendency of sagging.
      Ergo: No way a big BJD can sit on the horse as-is. I have to do some serious surgery of the horse's derriere in Blender.

I will also still enlarge the hooves and lift the last section of the neck by adding some material. That way, the whole neck will lift a bit. I think it looks a bit too short for the massive body.

On a more positive note, here are picture of the head and neck, including the jointed ears:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]