1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Horses for larger dolls

Sep 12, 2006

1. Maybe its because I'm looking on a desktop, but I cannot see your pics, @Ipledreamer. :( Otherwise, it sounds like you're doing pretty well so far. :3nodding:

Ryu

2. That is strange. I can see pics. I am using picr.

3. I don't know what my desktop did, but now the pics are showing up. :huh?:

Your horse looks pretty darn cool! :thumbup How big is this one, it looks like it could hold a 1/4th BJD.

Ryu

4. The white one is about the size of a Breyer horse. That means, much too small for an MSD.

The larger one, which will become a golden dun, will hopefully be tall enough for a 70 cm doll.

5. The horse is AMAZING! I think I meant a wood dowel if a heavy wire wouldn't work. Would sanding to smooth some of the joints be do-able? I don't think they're bad myself, is that what you were talking about wanting to fix?

6. @Ipledreamer
      Wow, the horse looks already great! :D
      Certainly it'll look really awesome in the end. :cheer

7. No, with 3D-printed pieces you have to be super careful with sanding. It is not full material like resin (there sanding is no problem). With 3D printed parts, only the surface is solid. The rest is infill, which means the inside is a funny pattern stabilizing the whole thing (you can at 100 %, but then parts get really heavy). So if you sand too much, the pattern will show.

But I have to put together the big parts, because a 3D printer can only print certain dimensions. So the very big parts (out of which the body is composed) have to be split, printed in parts, and then glued together again. So there are seams, which are very visible. And I think it will look much better if these are filled in with something - ideally with the same filament as the stuff out which they are printed. This is what I do with my 3D pen (it is a 3Dissimo, which has several bits similar to a Dremel).

And no, you do not want to smooth the joints. They are much more slippery than resin joints, so I will rather suede them.

To be honest, if a nice, well-constructed resin BJD horse for 70cm guys existed...oh well, I think I would spend the money (and I am sorry, I know that there was Domuya Nightmare. Not my cup of tea).

8. Thanks for all the updates, this process has been really interesting to watch.

9. After seeing this, I’m now wanting a large horse myself, and I don’t have an SD. @Ipledreamer thank you for sharing your process. Maybe you could do a project journal? Just a suggestion, no pressure. I’d really like to see your horse and what you do to fix the issues you come across while making it. I love your project journals! So informative!

10. You are making me want a 3d printer @Ipledreamer , LOL. That's so interesting , you are teaching me a lot! Thank you for sharing your project with us!

11. @kurogane: Maybe I should have started a project journal from the very beginning of this project...

Regarding the large horse: if you have room for it, it can be a lot of fun. Not that I want you to keep you from it, but I highly suggest that you wait until mine is finished. Just to know what it takes to function (because the original one has no chance of standing on its feet in its original form). I am doing some serious modding.

@IngieBee: Haha, that was really not my intention! Such a device is really a lot of fun. However, there is a definite learning curve. We took the rather safe route and got a tried and tested device. And still, there were some hiccups here and there, but we successfully overcame these. And if you really want to create or even be able alter to things to fit our dolls, it is essential to learn some kind of software. That was and is still hard for me. E.g. I modded the hip part. But I have no clue whether the horse's thighs still fit. Blender has so much stuff going on I just don't need (e.g. the animating part). But it is free, so I am okay with it.
      If you do buy one, I am curious what you create with it!

I created a WIP thread: https://denofangels.com/threads/another-really-big-horse.824679/

12. LOL, @Ipledreamer , I started in Blender back around 2002 or so, but then had babies, a job and life, so I've not kept up very well. I'll use it for stuff now and then, and right now, I have my whole family working on making a youtube show, staring my dolls, and only my husband is a writer, and knows anything. The rest of us are woefully bad actors and I'm a bad photographer. But I've been building a set to take green screen photos, with props and now i'm working on my stage in Blender where I will hopefully be able to place my characters. We want to get the first series of shows finished by end of summer, when the kids all go back to college. I can't quit, though, as it was my idea so I can teach my family to "just do it" LOL

13. @IngieBee: wow, that sounds so cool! Now I am curious how that show turns out. Maybe you need a horsie in it?

14. I forgot more than I've ever learned about Blender at this point. I've been doing tutorials, and it's like a whole different program! Yah, I am determined to make this happen, but lots of hard work ahead. Tomorrow I'll be messing around undoubtedly, as I'm having lunch with my sister, as we do every week, and I usually hang around after for several hours, LOL. But yah, today I finished my green screen setup completely, and now have to work on a few props. And then I think I better make a story board. Ugh, so nervous about this endeavor though I've said many times to everyone, it doesn't matter if we fail and it sucks, only that we do it :D

15. That's the way! If you are aware that any time you start out for something new, there is always a chance of failure. You can cry about it, or take it as a learning curve.

Yesterday I tweaked the butt part and the back thigh again and added some stops. I will print out in small scale to see whether and how it works. Admittedly a lot of plastic is waisted. But prototyping, which I am doing here, is never easy.

16. This is VERY impressive!

17. @IngieBee Please tell me you're documenting this somewhere! I would love to see how it goes! I am trying to get up the nerve to start a Youtube crafting channel, but I haven't managed to start yet.

@Ipledreamer This project is amazing and you're amazing. Keep working and keep us informed!

18. I feel so deeply honoured, @thessalyrose!

Well, the modded thigh/butt connection is printed. It looks like this:
      [​IMG]

Even if this is the little horse I printed for my daughter, it will be basically the same for the big guy. Now we will do one more thing to the butt: my husband had the brilliant idea of somehow adding something like a separate guide for the elastic. The point engages really well, but the elastic as the second anchoring point is not as steady as I hoped for. So he did a quick construction (he is already really good at that) and I will try that.

For the big guy, the chest is still printing. We are at part 6 of eight parts. Well, no use rushing the stuff.

19. Oh man, it's suddenly so hot here, the wind has blown out of me! This will get done but I see it will take a lot longer than I initially thought. :doh

20. I am also looking for a big realistic looking horse for my Vindoll Udell!!