1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Horses for larger dolls

Sep 12, 2006

1. Hey Pam, is this a photo of Dark Moriah from the Seattle Knights? I used to watch them perform every summer at the Gig Harbor Ren Faire in WA. They quit doing that faire for some reason and now its moved (as have I...) and is way to far for me to go anymore.

Here is a link to their photo gallery in case you want some more pics: http://www.seattleknights.com/gallery/gallery.asp

[​IMG]

2. OHJEEZ if there was a BJD Fresian I don't care what I was saving for at the time...all that money would immediately go toward one. :D I am SUCH a huge fan of feathered horses. What I would really love to see would be a Clydesdale or Shire BJD but can you imagine the scale?! o_o It would be like a smallish dog size for us. Probably almost 4 feet at the head. And how to do the feathering and make it look natural? Id definitely want it to be real hair or fur and not sculpted. Thoughts?

Here's my ideal horse~ X3

Although I'm really not a fan of docked tails, but they're traditional. *shrug* These are some amazing animals!

3. Oh wow, all these gorgeous horses are tempting me to sell my dolls and buy a horse!
      Making natural-looking feathers on a model horse is going to be a challenge. When my SLD Nahar comes out of the mold I am going to attempt some feathering ideas on him, even though he is a light-horse type. It does seem like most bjd people want a heavy war horse in an action pose for their dolls so when I get my Friesian done I may have him cast for collectors. Other people with better skills can make the ball jointed horses though :)

4. How much does she charge?

...all this talk about fresians! Those have always been some of my favourite horses.

5. That artist on Deviantart's BJD horses are tiny, I think only about 7-10" tall. She uses some kind of clay to make them. Making a horse big enough for a SD BJD is a huge undertaking in materials, shipping, and just dealing with the size as far as sculpting it. I know because my husband and have experimented with sculpting something that large. It really is no wonder there are'nt many options available out there for SD size horses made out of resin, especially BJD horses. The stringing must be a nightmare too, literally!

6. Hahah Luckyl good pun about stringing. ;) It WOULD be a nightmare to string a bjd horse...I've been thinking on it myself, since originally this Our Generation model I have was going to get cut apart and redone to BE a bjd. But then I got to thinking about how the joints should work and such, and you'd have to have a thicker stringing elastic than what is in our dolls now. The tension would also have to be really tight, especially if the neck were to be able to turn down into a grazing position, but still hold up in a normal pose. @_@ So much to think about!

On feathering though, I was thinking how if you were to make a few layers/rounds from the hooves up, then take loose hair and thin it out, then blush the legs to blend it all in it could look pretty realistic. I might try this theory out on the model I have now. =3

And Shulamite! Don't sell your dolls to buy a horse! Then we wouldn't get all your amazing ideas for the statues XD I'd recommend going to a local stables and taking lessons if you want to be around them lol. If you lived in NE Ohio you could come to mine! Hehe

7. I wouldn't really want a fully ball jointed horse... so much as "a horse big enough for large SDs that can pose its head in a few ways and maybe move the front legs a little bit". Breyer makes these Pony Pal horses that are semi posable- something like that. The head can move up and down for tossing motions, and the legs each have one mechanical type joint so that the horse can assume a couple different poses. I bought one for my Pukis, but I'm wondering how much of my work and sanity it would take to make something vaguely similar for my big SDs. (I'm a rather experienced crafter and prop maker)
      I'd use some kind of aluminum or steel frame, and then foam for most of the body... foam and fiberglass maybe. Duplicating such a thing would also be really difficult. Just sculpting something of that size is daunting, let alone making any part of it mobile!

8. A Friesian would rock! As a former Arabian breeder, though, I'm happy to see them represented first *heh*. And I like that it's not a running walk pose so many model horses have. Not that I don't think gaited horses are really neat, just more variety would be nice . . . personally, I'd love to see a Saddlebred or a Morgan. No room to mount my characters these days, but I do have characters who ride a Saddlebred-type, an Arabian-type, and a Canadien/Morgan type ^^;;;. So one day . . .

9. Hmm, yeah I don't really like when models are posed in running positions much, they become unbalanced and are hard to set up with other props. Yet AGAIN back to the Our Generation model =___= which is posed as such, aside from being too small for SDs makes it really annoying to just stand on my floor! It's constantly falling back on its rear end. XD (Although part of that is the house itself; I live in an 1800s farmhouse, so the entire upstairs is sagged toward the middle. *sigh*) But still! lol In general that's what I love most about the My Twinn horse--he's posed with one leg up, which can be artistically shot to make it look like more or less movement. :3

10. DPL Leeds make nice plush horses for 60-75cm sized dolls, I have 3 of them and they are lovely, Okay so they're not so realistic, and are only very lightly poseable, but you can get beautiful colours and are quite easily customizeable, I have added long mohair locks to this one, and modified her eyes:
      http://s857.photobucket.com/albums/a...Bella%20horse/
      I'm thinking of giving her the fluffy hooves as well, as I think it will suit her.

The FS thread with more pictures and one of my other horses;
      http://www.denofangels.com/forums/showthread.php?385320-Handmade-outfits-Period-costume-chainmail-all-heirloom-quality-handsewn

I looked at that Domuya horse, I don't know if it's because the mane is missing, but it looked a bit weird:(

11. I think I picked up one of those Leeds horses at TJ Maxx for $25. It's big enough for my Doll Family Chenxi (75cm) and my 70cm DZ guy to ride comfortably; the 60cm girls look pretty tiny, but they seem to enjoy it!

12. I've been Google searching, and I can't find any "Leeds horse" that isn't a horse in Leeds. :P Photos, and more info? I'd love to see it!

13. Tamsen - if you got one for $25 that's a pretty good buy! How do you like yours? what colour is it?
      Also Tamsen I looked at your profile to see if you had any pictures of your Chenxi, He is my biggest want right now, anyway, are you the coolest person ever??? You play the harp......awesome! You have a Chenxi, Obitsu's and a DPL Leeds horse= super awesomeness!

Natsunekko - I went and took some pictures of my DPL leeds horses for you, you have to put the DPL part if you are looking for them. Anyway.......
      Please forgive my scruffy photo's I fell down the stairs last week and broke my ankle in 2 places so I can't carry anything while I'm getting around on crutches (let alone brave the stairs carrying them right now), I wanted to take them outside and do nice pictures in the field, but I'm afraid it's moody indoor photo's at the moment.
      [​IMG]
      All 3 of the DPL Leeds horses, there is a grey, brown appaloosa and a bay
      [​IMG]
      Bella the horse I modified
      [​IMG]
      Bella's modified eyes, I made her new eyelids from leather, I'm still not sure if I'm 100% happy with the eyes. I also opened up the seam at her main and tail, and rooted in some long mohair to give her a bit more of a realistic mane and tail.

[​IMG]
      The two appaloosa's I am thinking of replacing the furry fabric on their hooves with patent leather to give them shinier more realistic hooves. The colouring of these two is very pretty, but I have seen several other colours for sale. The DPl Leeds horses have an internal metal armature which you can gently pend to pose if you like, but I wouldn't reccommend doing it often. This makes them very sturdy and stable, but I don't think it would be at all difficult to change that to some sort of wooden locking hinge system, which would make them completely poseable.
      [​IMG]
      With my 60cm obitsu riding, she looks a bit bigger on the horse because of the picture angle, these horses are like a large quater horse for a 60cm doll, and suit a 70-75cm doll well. (please excuse Isabelle's pantslessness)
      [​IMG]
      Just to give you an idea of scale......The DPL Leeds horse on top, a 60cm tall Obitsu, and Gus, a horse I bought online, let this be a lesson to you to check the measurements of things carefully. I bought Gus thinking he was the same size as my other DPL Leeds horses, when I went to pick him up at the courier depot I discovered why the seller had complained so much about having to post him. I can't say for sure if he is made by DPL Leeds as well, but he looks very similar in appearance and composition.
      More pictures at;
      http://s857.photobucket.com/albums/ab136/raewhitewolf/Bella horse/plush Horses/

http://s857.photobucket.com/albums/ab136/raewhitewolf/Bella horse/

http://s857.photobucket.com/albums/...le/Pink Medieval Knight/Pink Medieval maiden/

http://s857.photobucket.com/albums/ab136/raewhitewolf/Elanore/Isabelle/Pink Medieval Knight/
      Let me know if you have any problems with the links.

14. You're so sweet! :chocoheart I think my horse is more like your Gus -- apparently Leeds makes both 32 inch (Gus) and 22 inch horses -- not to mention a 60 in. giraffe! They have a shop on eBay (http://shop.ebay.co.uk/plush-lifelike-animals-co-uk/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p4340) but only seem to ship within the UK.

My boy is a golden brown with black mane and tail. I named him Mallanu -- more or less Elvish for "Golden Boy." He is really big, but that's good for my two big guys (75" and 70"). The girls look like they're kids riding a warhorse, but they don't seem to care. And he's so sturdy! Their shop says they can be sat on, and I believe it.

I still think Chenxi (mine is named Gwaihir) is one of the most gorgeous dolls going. I got the earlier model that has some posing difficulties, but he's so pretty I'm happy with him just sitting around. Hope you get one soon!

Love your horses!

15. Thank you Tamsen, I think that's a really useful link, plus I have also seen some of these horses for sale on U.S. Ebay, so if someone likes them it's well worth a look.

16. Raewhitewolf, it looks like they have 22" horses and 26" horses. Which size are the ones in your picture?

17. My smaller 3 are 22" from hoof to the top of their head, the big one Gus is just over 34" tall........he's a big boy