1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How Big is Too Big?

Apr 8, 2008

1. I think 80cm and anything above is definitely pushing the limit when it comes to height of a doll for me.

I already have two big boys (SD16 and Dollshe SA Husky), they're not only a handful, but they're both an armful! :XD: I love them to bits and their weight is very comfortable for me.

I love my heavy Yuki-chan and how tall and lanky my SA Husky is--he's quite heavy, too--but not to the point where I get sore if I carry them for prolonged periods. But beyond their collective heights and weight, I don't think I can handle Soom Mecha Angels no matter how beautiful they are!

80cm might dwarf my 5'1" frame. :lol:

2. I don't have a doll yet but already have a 58cm girl in my ordering list. The first dolls I've ever handled(thanks to my friends) are SD size. And I find them a perfect size although I'm not very tall myself. Any thing taller than that is too big for me.
      80cm is... More than half of my height. Heh.

3. Among my BJDs sized 40cm to 65cm, I prefer the one that is 65cm ;) I consider SD to be "the average size", sometimes they even feel smallish, knowing that there are Hounds and Mecha Angels around. I like handling my 60+ dolls, and I think that I will like my Mecha Angels when they arrive... but I guess I cannot really tell until I've hold them :)

A life size doll though... that would just be creepy. 80cm is big, but it is still a "miniature" compared to a human being- a full size doll is, to me, not a doll, but in the best case scenario a mannequin. :?

4. My first and only doll so far is a 60 cm. 64 cm to be exact.
      I love how heavy he is, but I don't think I want any bigger than that. Once I get the few SD's that i want, I'll start getting MSD and Tiny. I don't mind that much, but I'm short, so it's hard to handle such big dolls!

Edit: I read everybody's posts about Mecha Angels, and I was like "?" so.. I went and looked. I wish I wasn't so poor! <333

5. Well...when i got my first SD doll (60cm) I was well shoked...He was tall! But yeah i wont go over 60cm...mabye 65cm but not over that...I would just be overwhellmed...

6. my first doll is my Dollshe saint 70cm doll , I think I will not go any bigger than him, he is already big for me :)

7. Another over 50cm probably XP I don't mind bigger dolls since my sister has a very big Bratz doll (I didn't measure but it's probably 60cm) and I don't mind the size at all. It's just for convenience and because I want all my dolls pretty much the same size, anything bigger is too big.

8. I don't think I'd go any bigger than 70cm. I think an 80 or something, is a little much, plus I bet that's heavy. e.e;

9. i guess im weird.... my 70cms are perfect, I ADORE them... their weight doesn't bother me, in fact its comforting and i feel better sleeping with them because i now i wont squash them.

i had an sd once... my first doll... im not too comfortable with them. they are big but not big enough... something about them doesn't sit right with me....

but an msd... id die to have one.. i met one in person for the first time about a month ago and fell in love, she was so little and so big at the same time... bambicrony sized are a bit small but ive fallen in love recently with a dream of doll baby, its worth a shot.... anything smaller no matter how cute they are, are just too small for me... I'm a big person, i need larger dolls.... they make me feel better and once you've gotten use to a 70cm... 60cms look really small lol. I would totally try for a mecha if they made one handsome enough... The molds dont interest me.....

10. as long as they're not scale pretty much every size is good for me-I'm fairly tall so their height isn't a problem :) Though carrying around a heavy hunk of resin probably wouldn't be fun!

11. Hmm... My main interest are the MSDs. Mainly because they come off as being the most huggable, snuggable, or just the right size for a person like me. However, I wouldn't mind getting a Tiny or two, and I've seen a few SDs (60 and 70cm) that I'd really like to own. I don't want size to be a factor but, I don't think I could handle an 80cm doll, at the same time.

I guess people would have to look at the weight, not exactly the height?

12. When I missed out on the Bernards (what a run that was!) I looked around and found SOOM's Sabik. He's 80 cm and I am soooooooo interested in him. Yes, he'll be big, heavy and gi-normous. But that's fine. I don't think 80 cm is too large.

On the other side of the coin, however, I find MSD's and smaller to be too small for me.

Go figure. LOL

13. I thought I wanted a big doll too, the bigger the better, but when I got my boy (SDF Ethan - 60cm) though I still thought he was relatively little, he weighed a TON and was kinda a hassle to carry around and such.

14. I'm fairly short and because of my height, I find 70cm to be too big for me. I love them and Mecha Angels, but the Mecha Angels(80cm) are more than half my height!

15. I don't think they could make a doll that was "to big" for me. I say the taller the better. With that though also comes the "doesn't pose so well" factor.
      I have a Soom Sabik who is 80cm and love him. Hes heavy but can ride on my shoulders and not look odd so when he gets to heavy to carry up on my shoulders he goes lol. He also poses amazingly.

16. Well, I used to think that MSDs were the perfect size for me. Until I got my first SD. Now I like 'em big! I never thought I'd say it before, but I actually really want one of the 80cms! *_*

17. I don't really have a size preference - mine go from 60 cm to around 12-13cm, so I'm not worried about being in scale or anything.

The only thing I'm concerned about is weight, especially if I'm going to be carrying them at a con or something. My 60cm's get heavy enough, I couldn't imagine carrying a 70cm - or even 80cm - doll around for hours. ^^;

This, of course, can be fixed by carrying around my MSDs instead, if there's ever a case of "OMG I NEED THIS 70+CM BOY NOW" lol.

18. QFT

Seriously, these guys are heavy like whoa. I love the big boys (and girls, of course), and I think I'd like to have a 70cm or maybe even bigger, but I would not want to deal with all the weight that would come with a solid torso. Arks are around five pounds, and mine pretty much kills my arms after carrying him for a while. I do not enjoy the idea of carting around something too much heavier than that. I think the only thing that would be too big would be something bigger than half my height.(Uh...not that the 70-80 cm ones aren't already about that big. *is short*) That would just wind up being a bit too much, for no other reason than the creepiness factor. I don't want something that size staring at me from the corner of my bedroom. *shiver*

19. LOL! That's exactly what my fiancé said when I had this discussion with him. He told me that my Yuu creeps him out. For this reason Liam gets to sleep in my sewing area, unlike the other dolls who live in our bedroom.

20. One of these threads existed once but I have no idea where (lol)

I love the bigger dolls (that I've seen anyways). 80 cm might be a bit too big since it'd be about half my height (lol). I have a 60 cm boy right now, and am working on a 70cm boy (in the market for a body right now). My only concern would be weight. Maybe I'm a wimp, but after carrying my 60 cm boy in his bag for more than 15 minutes I get sore and tired. I can carry him longer in my hand/arms, but its not as convenient as his bag is.

If a 60 cm boy wears me out that fast (and its not even a volks boy, so he's not super heavy for his height) I don't want to think about what an 80 cm doll would do...*dies*

On the other hand, I have a hard time with mini sized dolls. I'm not sure why. I love tinies but the biggest little dolls I'm comfortable with are yo sized. so its either tiny or huge...hmm