1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How Big is Too Big?

Apr 8, 2008

1. I think I like anything from 45cm up to about 70cm, tiny-tinies excluded, but more than that is a bit much.
      Unless it's a persocom.
      Then all bets are off!
      (Up to human-sized, no bigger, though O_o)

2. For me, I think it's a matter of getting used to the size. It seems easy to deal with smaller dolls because most of us are used to having/seeing other dolls in the MSD and smaller range. I remember feeling kind of like, "Woah, this is big" when I got my first SD. And when I saw a 70cm guy at a doll meet for the first time I was just like, :aeyepop: because I'd never seen a doll that big. Maybe if I ever get over it, I might like to get one. But for now, they seem too big for me.

3. I am a tall strapping girl myself, but even so, I think I would stop at 80 cm. That is PLENTY tall!! Any bigger than that, and we go into the creepy mannikin territory. Like those terrifying things, whatsit, ventriloquist-dummies. :shudder And storage becomes a real issue.

I've got a looming 80-cm blue merman on order from Soom-- and I have no idea where he'll sit in my little apartment. He's much too tall for the doll-furniture on the table, and he's too tall to lie down in a bookshelf (let alone sit up inside it). So I think he'll just be happy sitting on the couch. XD He should make a great conversation piece!

Actually, I test-lifted my friend's Corvi... XD Turns out Mecha Angel doesn't weigh much more than an SD16. Volks resin is tons heavier than Soom's. Carrying a Yukinojo around on your arm all day, though, sure builds up your biceps! I think he's great exercise. ^^

:lol: "Most" of who? ^.^ Only 5% of my collection is shorter than 60cm. I'm not really that used to handling MSDs. They're cute to look at, but they're not much of an armful; you can't hug something that tiny! Even my beloved SDCute.

60-70cm feels like a nice armful to me. I love the ease of handling, dressing, and manipulating the large boys; they feel so much less fragile, and bigger objects are easier to work with. Also, those tallboys all have such beautiful long legs, and I'm a leg-woman. <3

4. About 65cm is my maximum and I'd say 25cm is my minimum though I don't plan to go smaller than my 33cm girl any time soon. My SD13 boys are a handful as is, I just can't imagine having a doll bigger than that. I don't want a doll that's too small to lose easily, but when the doll starts to be too big to carry around comfortably for any period of time it's too much.

So yeah, the 70-80cm+ dolls are neat, just not my thing. I don't even want to consider thinking much bigger than that because you're getting close to 3 feet and over at that point which is as big as some kindergarten kids and over 1/2 scale.

5. Seeing as how I'm ridiculously short, I would think 60 cm would have to be my limit... any bigger than that, and the doll starts to become at least half my height! LOL. *well, all right, so maybe not REALLY half my height... but pretty darn close!*

6. I was surprised when my Yuu arrived last week! Indeed, he is big and heavy. I prefer bigger dolls so 60-72cm is fine for me. I don't think i would go outside that range, at least not for now.

7. Well, I think that those dolls which over 70cm are too big...
      I don't really like almost taller doll in room...
      As I don't have more place in my room...""
      (How such a nonsense reason that I have spoke...""")

8. I've never seen anything over 60cm in person, so I can't really speak from personal experience. As pretty as some of the bigger dolls are, I think I prefer smaller dolls (in the 10-45cm range), to larger ones. Aside from being big, I just don't know what I could do with something 70+cm tall. I wouldn't be able to carry him anywhere, or perch him in odd places (like on the fridge, or on the tv, or in my bookshelf xD). They'd just stand or sit in my room all day. Which is kinda sad...

9. I think 85cm is my limit. And about 3 kg.

10. I don't think they could ever get to big. I would love to have a doll my size to play with, I just wouldn't really be able to carry it out of the house. 80 cm is the biggest made right now anyways, correct? My friend told me a 60cm feels like holding a baby. I think I want a dollmore female model, but I'm not sure yet. I wonder how heavy it will feel like after a while to be holding a baby. I think the bigger the better though.

11. I love lanky eye-candy, and I'm saving for a Sabik.

I don't think it's the height that gets me though, it's wanting a mature body. SD10s and SD13s are meant to be 10 year and 13 year old bodies aren't they? I'm after dolls for adult characters so I'm looking for older looking torsos and they tend to be on 65cm+ bodies.

12. I have a hard enough time with actual volks SD13 boys! lol. I currently have a CP Delf, and he's a lot lighter than the SD13 boys I've met (and the 70 cm boys I've encountered). I still want the big boys :) They just probably won't go anywhere without my car lol. (I'd kill for a few of the Dollshe boys..well maybe not literally kill but yeah...)

13. Oh..I luv the bigger 70-80 cm dolls! I have MA Sabik & Vega..and they are a gorgeous pair indeed! Most of my collection fall into the 58-62 cm range, my personal favorite size...and that is one of the great things about bjd fun...there is something for everbody! ~

14. I'm a wee little thing, and 70cm+ dolls are a little too large for me- I'd have a hard time carrying them, so they wouldn't see much action. My Spinel is 65cm, and I feel like that's just right, I don't think I'd want to go much larger if I bought another SD.

15. I like 70cm dolls, I really do. Expensive though for certain, and the only doll that I have plans on using a 70cm doll scult for...is too short to use the 70cm body, since his friend is going to be using a 62cm and there isn't much size difference between them. Most of my dolls so far are smaller, and I was comfortable with carrying a 46cm doll about, but I've yet to try carring around a doll larger, so I'll have to see.

16. I have a Hound and Unireal Ark.. and though I love them both..they won't find themselves going out with me too much...Ark weigh alot..and would be very uncomfortable to carry for a long time...my Hound isn't as bad but gangly.. so I figure if I can't lift it, its too big... but I do like big dolls to me it seems they are worth the money I spent on them...I just can't figure shelling out close to 1k for a doll that fits in my hand..lol

17. Oh gosh, lately even MSD is too big for me!! I just love the 30cm size range.
      I don't like 'em much smaller than that though, so I'm safe from general tiny-itis!

Raven

18. My friend just ordered her first doll (an SA Saint) 19 days ago...

He's 69 cm I believe,

And while I think he's beautiful, he would be too large for me I think.

I know I want SDs but an MSD was in my price range and I absolutely fell in love with Bory :D

But I'm sure I'll find out when her dollshe arrives,

For all we know I could fall in love with him and his size.

Dolls are such an impulsive thing I think...*_*

19. please delete post

20. If they got any larger than 80cm they'd be way too big for me. I don't own any of the 80cm guys, but I found them interesting when I got to see them at a meet. I wouldn't want anything larger than that. It'd be just be too expensive to purchase and too big to play with o.o