1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How Big is Too Big?

Apr 8, 2008

1. I once owned a Hound and after I sold him I swore I would never again own a big (70cm+) doll. That sentiment has held true for me, even though some of the new big boys (Mecha Angel) are drop-dead gorgeous.

My biggest doll is my Mano (who, having measured just now) is 68cm with his wig. I have a Kumi and MiniFees as well as a Delf girl and DOT but my favourite one to hold is hands down my Mano.
      I prefer him over the others because he's big, so there is actually something to hold XD. The minis and BB are super cute but is pretty hard to hug something the size of a Yo-SD.

Mano is my "perfect weight" he flops nicely in my arm and is still small enough to be easy to shop for. I think I'd be weirded out having an 80cm doll, that boy/girl would come up to almost my hip XD (and I'm 5'7"), so about half my height.

2. im starting to think my 63cm boy is a little too big :eek:
      when i first got into this hobby, i thought bigger was better. "OOH! I WANT A HUGE DOLLIE - BIG DOLLIE WILL BE SO MUCH BETTERERRR"

i was sooo wrong.
      i love thomas, but he is rather big... which limits where i can take him. my next doll will definitely be MSD or smaller. no more SD13 dollies for a while :sorry

3. Anything bigger than a mini is way too big for me. I got a 60cm just to see if I would like bigger dolls and I ended up selling her after about 2 months because she was just so big and awkward, even though I loved her mold to death. But I LOVE MSDs, I think theyre the perfect size, I also want to get a yo-sd sized one in the future because they too just look so cute but I would never want one of those pukey things, theyre so tiny I could probobally crush it to dust in my hand. Plus, they remind me too much of those Kelly dolls that I had when I was little. ew.

4. I've always been more worried of breaking or generally damaging large dolls (this applies to all dolls, not just BJD). Which I realize is probably crazy. ^-^; It's tinies for me, the smaller the better. Something about them makes me ridiculously happy. With that said, I'd love to own an MSD or two eventually, even though that's already pushing my preferred size range. But I'll always prefer 30cm and under.

5. When you get big boys, you get used to shopping in little nooks & crannies! Now that there's more 65-70cm bodies coming out every week, shopping is getting a lot easier these days. But you have a point-- the bigger we go, the harder it is for the clothing-market to keep up with them. Soom deserves a gold star for making as many Mecha Angel sized clothes as they do, instead of creating a giant doll & then not providing anything for him to wear outside of his fullset. ;;

Still, even that is a small selection. So I'm glad to be buying that specialized blue Merman fullset... because he comes with a fish-tail outfit. He won't be wearing too many human clothes! I'll save a fortune! XD Maybe by the time I'm ready for a 81cm humanoid, there'll be more clothes regularly available. I do hope they don't go above 81cm, though... who can keep up with such a market?

One of my friends is 5'6" (160cm), and he loves his Cyborg Sabik, even though Sabik is exactly half his height. Comes up to his waist when they stand on a level surface together. It's crazy! But it's kinda cute. I'm 5'9" (175cm) and that Sabik just comes up to the top of my leg, so he's not half my height yet, but we could walk holding hands. :whee:

(PS. Yuu-chan, I agree, Mano is such a nice armful! <3)

6. 65cm and + is really too big for me, mostly because they become too hard to control, so too hard for me to play with and actually have fun because I'm more focused on "how to make him stand properly" and "wow what a big size difference with my other dolls"...

I really prefer msd and 60cm standard sd size :) (most tinies are too tiny for me lol)

7. I've never owned anything larger than a mini, and while I have seen 60cm dolls in person, I've never actually held one ( even though people offered to let me I was much too afraid to xD ) which I'm sure makes some of the difference in deciding. For now however, I find mini's are the absolute perfect size for me since they can still be made up to look mature enough while still have that sort of 'dolly' feel to them when you want to hold and cuddle them.

I do have on my wishlist, a 60cm ranged boy, a DIM Rain head who's definate body I'll be hybriding him with is still undecided. But even so, I know he'll be in that height range and it's actually rather nerve wracking to think about. xP Given my dolls and their characters, it just simply wouldn't make sense for this last doll to be anything but in that size range, but even so, I hope his size doesn't put me off into thinking of him as something along the lines of a huge hunk of art, rather than something I can play and mess around with.

8. The one I'm waiting on now is a DoD DOI, which is 70cm tall. I'm excited about it, whenever I've done art pieces I've always liked to make them bigger, so I figured why not the same for my doll?

Buying clothes to fit is a little trying though :/

9. Minis are my favorite size for practicality and variety, but the tallest I would go is 1:2 scale. I don't think there's any proportional dolls in that scale that are largely available ( the closest I can think is Araki's two personal dolls ) but if I could get one, I would. I personally do not worry about movability/how long I can carry then for, as they are mostly ornamental. 60cm are the closest I can get, with enough variety within a range that it's easy to find what I want. I do want to get a hound or two in the future, but for the absolute tallest... half scale, please.

10. Well, I'm still not QUITE decided, but I do know that 70+ is WAY too tall for me. I think I'm more a MSD kinda person. I certainly lean that way. While SD's have that great plus of being big enough that sewing for them is fairly easy, and most are gorgeous, MSD's are just so...cute. They always tug at my heart strings And tinies too, though I don't think I want one.

11. I'm in the process of saving for my first SD, so I really don't know. I think 70 cm would be a bit too big, though, but who knows? When Dimo gets here I'll have a more established opinion.

12. I love love love big dolls. They are wonderfulllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll. >_<

I currently love the dollshe's, and was looking into Soom's 80 cm.

As for too big.

I'm not sure. O_O

13. I want a really big doll more than anything, for me the only thing stopping me getting one of the 70/80cm dolls from Soom is that I'm in love with another doll that I also want.. and the money..
      <3
      Any bigger than 80 would just be insane though <3

14. I've wanted an SD since forever, but all of a sudden I got cold feet and decided I wanted a MSD. >_>

But I definitely would say 80cm is too much! I'm 5'0" and a doll should not be half my height... that's... like... midget boyfriend material! :XD:

15. After meeting some of the larger sized BJDs in the resin... I'll stick to the yo-sd and tiny sizes, thankies... XD

The taller ones are so... indimidating. *laughs*

16. You know, I like the idea of an 80cm doll, but all I've seen are the Mecha Angels, and I just don't really like them. Their hands and feet look so small compared to their heads and bodies. It's hilarious!

17. Too large would be 77cm. However I rather like the 63-70cm range. A bit more substantial. But anymore than 70 would simply be too much resin for me!

18. Being a VERY tiny person, (5'1") I feel that the 60cm dolls are actually just too big for me. 60cm dolls are about 2' tall which is nearly haf my height.

19. I actually perfer larger dogs. though i wanted to stick with 60cm ones, somehow all my head's ended up being compatible with 70cm lol xD It's still cool lol <3

20. I definately have no desire to own an SD or a Hound...but since I discovered tinies I don't think I'll ever get another MSD (Unless Sadako gets seriously lonely)