1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How Big is Too Big?

Apr 8, 2008

1. I only have a mini (which I like the size of a lot), but I'm getting an SD sometime fairly soon...I think the standard SD size is about as big as I want, but I love the idea of the 70cm and above, especially with the boys. My friend has an El, and that size is just about perfect for me. He's got some weight to him and he's cuddly/feels solid, but he's not so huge that I can't carry him around easily. I'd really have to see a 70cm in person though, I don't think I have a very good concept of the size.

2. I don't know why, but I *love* tiny articulated things.

Love them. Always have.

I thought a bigger, more "real", doll would be awesome, but I was actually really disappointed when I saw my friend's.
      It somehow took the "magic" out of it, and he actually seemed less real because of it.

So, I guess, for me, the tinier and more delicate, the better (even for boy dolls)...but they have to be very well-made.

I only like tiny-ness if it doesn't mean less articulation, or less quality.

So yeah...there needs to be a balance for me, but I tend to like the smaller ones.

3. I think I've come to realize that my dolls would probably have to be under 70cm. I thought one of the Mecha Angels girls was really nice but the size stopped me in my tracks. I'd probably rather be in more 60cm range or less.

4. I love my MSDs. Lovelovelovelove their size, weight, everything.

SDs are just a little big and heavy for me, although I like looking at other people's. :)

70cm is just too big. I don't want a doll that comes up to my waist! LOL.

5. I like admiring SDs and up, but I prefer MSD. Good size to hold, dress up, and love on.

6. I'm making sure my first two dolls are 45cm, but I might go up in size. I just have a hard time justifying $500-$600 for a 60-70cm doll.

7. ...Well, I don't mind the 70 cm dolls, but having one that's SUPERUBERTALLERTHAN70CM doesn't appeal to me. Its like having a silent miniature adult the size of a toddler in your house. (And I don't WANT a silent miniature adult the size of a toddler IN MY HOUSE.)

8. id love a halfy size <____< >_____>

9. My first doll is a 60 cm male doll, but it seems like lately, every time I look at him and pick him up, he seems smaller and lighter than he did when I first got him. Someday, I'd like to get a bigger boy someday, because I like how they look more adult than the smaller ones. Also, I don't think I would have many problems with the weight. I've spent my entire life carrying around heavy backpacks and I can pick up my 60cm boy with just one hand around the waist without any problems. :) For me personally, I think that bigger is more interesting at least. I don't know about better, but I think they're more interesting to have.

However, due to monetary reasons, the next one I'm actually planning on getting is a 25-ish cm girl doll. Mostly because I plan to share her with my mother and she would probably be more comfortable with a barbie-sized baby-type doll rather than one of the tall gangly boy dolls.:lol:

10. ....i want a doll so huge, it could take me out in arm wrestling.
      i'd just be like...
      WEAR YOUR TURTLENECK SWEATER!!!!!
      and the doll would be like >8O!!!! *DOUBLE SUPLEX*

i think if i had a huge doll...i'd be way too tempted to rig it up with glowing red eyes and some kind of self automated walking mechanism....then give it some kind of speaker...LOVEME.LOVEME.LOVEME.

hahah i'm being retarded XD big dolls are just to blasted big. i'm a precious petite thing (snort) and i'd be forever getting the monster in the way....so i'm all about the wee tinies and my nice n' easy 44CM DZ shoyo...(i got a 60 cm obitsu...and she simply TOWERS over all she surveys) i love being able to go to walmart and find goofy things for my dolls to wear, even though they might not be fancy or well made...and if i don't have fun with it, what's the point? XD

11. Well, I prefer MSD size, but usually MSD sized dolls look like a little kids ;__; And I love SDs, but I'm afraid that I'd break them o___o ('cause I'm really awkward!) I think that 80cm tall doll 'd be too big for me. 60cm is ok, 70cm ... afraid, 80cm ..OMG, it's going to fall!

'k, I'm weird *_*

12. I think SDs are too big for me owo;;

I love MSDs >w< Medium sized and cute? :XD:

But then I've never seen a SD upclose before, so I'm not really sure :sweat

13. Well, I don't know if I would put an upper size cap on the dolls. Personally, I would love to get one that is half my size or so and I'm 5'9" (175cm). The reason being is, I'm a clothing historian and an historical costumer and one of the main justifications I used for getting my first doll was I would make all the costumes for her, that I couldn't make for myself. This would be much easier on a larger doll and I think the effect would be just stunning! :) I am planning on getting a Sabik at some point but so far Soom hasn't produced a female doll in that size range that screams "buy me!!!!" so I will have to limit my costuming efforts to my 60 cm girls. I'm not really worried about the weight issue of a larger doll, since I don't tend to take my dolls anywhere (I don't leave the house much myself either), and I am getting a Puki next in large part so I have a portable doll.

14. My dream doll is a Souldoll Hye, which is 55cm. I thought that was too big, so I told myself I wouldn't get her unless they make an MSD version, which they're not likely to...so I caved and now she's on layaway :) I don't know whether she'll be too big until I finally meet her in person, but she'll definitely be my only SD.

15. I thought msd's would be my max size.... oooh if those arn't famous last words. Then I got a sd, whos actually a bit on the short side a dim body. it took me a while to get used to all those gangly limbs all over. Hes my favorite now to cuddle with but I'm not looking to go much larger than 65 70 is pushing it.

16. I think it depends on the person. For me a dollshe boy is pushing it. I"m only 4'11 so dolls with that much leg are harder for me to carry. (Course I still want one xD)

17. We're the same height! :fangirl:

18. Jace & Mano at around 67cm are as big as I want to go. The 70cm boys are generally so skinny that they don't appeal to me & the 80cm ones are just huge. I like to keep my dolls close in size so they'll all work together though I do have a few MSDs & a little gang of tinies.

19. For me 70cm is a little too big. I own a DOI Luke and he's wonderful. But I must say I love my 60cms more. I'm wondering if ever again I'll get a 70cm doll.

20. I'm waiting on my first SD sized doll, he's going to be 61cm. I think that's a good size, although I love love love Unidoll Ark! The big dolls are nice to have sitting in your lap, watching TV, the minis are nice to dress up & take out for photos, and the tinys are great for carrying around in your pocket or purse and just looking adorable. 80cm would be 1/2 my size and might be a bit awkward for me to handle, but I still think they're beautiful.