1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How Clean are Your Dolls?

Jan 25, 2010

1. I find I have to wipe mine down every month or two. They go on a lot of adventures.

2. I'm overly passionate with keeping all my doll stuff organized. I can't actually keep my dolls in their boxes or carriers because my daughter would freak out (yes seriously, she has autism and the one time Duncan was taken apart for more than a day she screamed hysterically until I put his head on a different body, it didn't matter if it was a DOI body, it mattered that he was there in the room).

My dolls sit in my room that rarely gets natural light, I have a bench that seats three SD's and a Yo and a Chase lounge that (can) fit three SD's and a Yo. I move them and dress them about once a week, change dark clothing to lighter clothing and dust their wigs. I do change eye putty (as in keeping it soft) once every couple of months. As far as cleaning, I do restring and clean my dolls after so many photo shoots. I'll use a magic eraser for smudging or dark marks and soap and warm water to break up any build up.

For clothing I have all the larger articles of clothing hanging from tiny hangers from American girl in a dust free closet. Clothing that I don't use often or limited full set clothing is stored in clear storage containers with tissue paper. Doll accessories are stored also in clear storage containers as well as wigs (These have tissues inside the cap and a wig net to keep it tightly and placed in a bag to keep out dust.) Shoes are stored in their original boxes or in a storage container if they do not have one. Everything is folded and stacked carefully in a dust/light free closet.

No I'm not obsessed, that's a lie.

3. I clean my dolls whenever I notice stains or dirt on them, which is about once a week.
      I love washing their wigs too, and cleaning their eyes. :)
      I guess I'm a bit of a clean freak when it comes to my dolls. :lol:
      Although when it comes to my workspace I'm the opposite. :sweat

4. I keep all doll clothes sorted by size (and sometimes doll) in plastic storage bags inside a wooden toy box. Which is also where I keep unused accessories. Each of my dolls only has one wig and one pair of eyes. My dolls all live out on shelves in our office/library/homeschooling room. There are no windows in there, so no real natural light gets in. I take them down and play with them pretty frequently, brush their wigs and change their clothes. When I notice dirt or discoloration I spot clean them with magic eraser and every few months I strip them all and wipe them down really well.

5. I'm honestly pretty slacked off with cleaning my dolls, mostly because they tend to stay in my room and the worst thing that happens is some staining from clothes or a messy wig.

I do try to keep their wigs brushed and nice and if I start seeing little spots of filth or staining from anything, I wipe them down with a magic eraser. As for their clothes, I do try to wash any that seem to be staining to make sure it stops.

6. RE: Baby wipes

Much like acetone in small doses, it's okay if you wash it off very carefully. But there is nothing like baby wipes to get the grime off! It also wont scratch or take off something like a faceup. Just be careful and rinse it off with a damp cloth afterwards.

7. I have a bookcase just for my dolls. Sadly I haven't found a good curtain to protect them from the light pouring in and I've noticed a bit of yellowing on them. I'm working on cleaning that up now. >__<
      They get a wipe down with a magic eraser every month and their clothes are in bins and a nice wooden trunk. Their wigs are a bit disheveled currently, but I'll get to fixing that. XD

8. Mine stay out on their couches on a shelf. I generally dust them when I start to see any, and if they have any marks from my moving them around I immediatly get those with a majic block, or a Mr. Clean eraser and some alcohol. I keep their wigs in nets and in boxes, while their clothing is kept in a moveable unit of shelves.

9. i tend to try and keep my dolls clean without killing their face ups, but they tend to get lines on their resin and i dunno how to get rid of them o.o they just loook hairy o.o

p.s. if anyone knows, please personal message me XD lol thanks.

10. SPARKLY CLEAN! XD I'm abit of a clean/neat freak, so when I see dirt marks/spots, I whipped out my magic eraser and wiped them down. And I pretty much give them a bath once/twice per month XD &They stay in a shelf with a cloth covering it. I also washed their clothes and wigs to prevent staining and make them smell nice XD *loves cleaning stuffs*~

11. I'm really bad about keeping up with my dolls' cleaning ^^;;; They don't get caked in dust, but they get a very thin layer of it before I remember to dust them off. It also takes a while, but I brush their wigs out every so often.

I know I'm up for "worst doll owner", but I can't help it.. since I'm barely in my room it's one of those "Out of sight, out of mind" things. (Sure I think about them, but not their cleaning inparticular)

12. I keep my bjd in her box but my pullip and dal are just standing on a shelf. But I dust every week, so they are clean I think :p

13. Hm, pretty clean, they will 'sleep' in their boxes if I don't play with them so they are pretty much dust free, and I would scrub off any visible stains on them.

I usually do a full body scrub at least twice a month, if I think they need them (damn jeans stain them easily, grrr), I'm quite a neat freak, so I try as much as possible to keep them and their clothes and stuff clean and organized. XD

14. I keep mine in a box when I'm not playing with them. Their clothing and wigs too are secured in plastic tubs. I clean as needed with a magic eraser or water and a tooth brush. I have a tide pen for spots on clothing, although I will say I might have to try your idea of dryer sheets for lint (not on my doll clothes but my regular ones ^^;;)

15. My boys take abuse all the time. I take them everywhere so they end up really messy. But I always clean them. They generally get cleaned on average once a week. Though if it's been hot and sweaty out I clean them that night. Every 6 months they also get new strings and a fresh coat of MSC, plus a touch up on tattoos, face ups and piercings.

For wigs they usually have 2 or 3 minimum (my El has 7 o.o!) of the same wig. One wig is their travel/abuse wig. So I let it take all the damage from wind and being handled. While I keep the others in their packages and they're only used for photoshoots and special events. I find this alot easier especially with my EL and his thigh legnth hair. Since it goes to hell fast.

I usually wash and condition the abuse wigs weekly aswell and scent them with their favorite perfume (all my dolls have a set of their own perfumes <3). My El has 7 wigs each with a different perfume (these oils are crazy after 6 months the scent is still going strong o.o).

I'm a bit of a clean freak when it comes to my dolls. Not to the point where they can't be enjoyed, but they're well taken care of that way. I think it's a waste to have them sit and collect dust, besides dirt can always be removed :3

When I'm at home my dolls tend to hang around on my bed or around the house with me :3

16. Oh man! Am I the only person who routinely plays with and then doesn't wipe down their dolls?? :? *feels like an abusive doll parent now*

My dolls don't stay in a case; they have their own "rooms", built around the livingroom, so they're usually hanging out in their own space. Very little daylight gets into the room, so I'm not concerned about covering them up when I leave.

Halowen is new, and I can't see any dirtiness on him... yet. I finally took Ellery apart and gave her a good scrub last night, because her arms and neck were filthy. I only realized because some of her blushing - or what I thought was blushing - rubbed off, and I saw her MUCH lighter resin-tone underneith, which brought me to realize that she was so dark because she was dirty! So, she's in pieces and awaiting a new face-up and restringing. (Not only was her face dirty, but I've improved my face-up's since doing her, so she's due for a new one.)

I've just recently gotten a doll tote, so I thought taking my dolls out would be a less dirty business, but unbeknownst to me, my mom put a couple of peaches in my tote when I visited her yesterday, so when I took them out, their clothes were covered in peach-fuzz! Apparently these were extremely fuzzy peaches. So, now I've got to do a load of dolly-laundry, too. Funtimes!

I'm definitely going to need to get some baby-wipes and static sheets to keep these kids under control!

17. E-xac-tly the same with me !

• I always wash me before touch them.
      • My 3 boys are washed every 2 weeks and checked each week.
      • I 've got one always with me so he has to be really clean.
      • I change their outfits every 3 days and wash them in the washing machine with mine.. So really frequently.
      • The wigs as well are always manipulated and cleaned each 2/3 weeks..if they 've got damaged, I buy another..

18. Wow you guys are really good! My poor gang are dumped all over in the house in all states of disarray. If I cleaned them all every week I'd have to allow, I don't know, about 3 hours? Maybe all the time I spend gawking at this forum.
      Kyubinokitsune, I have seen those cabinets IRL and they are really nice, I also aspire to one of them!

19. Since I sew for my dolls and take pictures of them, they get handled A LOT! They are also out in the open on shelves (no direct sun light)... So dollie bath day is a reality for me. About once a month dolls get a basic wipe down with a damp cloth and warm water. Once every 90 days their bodies get wiped down with magic eraser if necessary. I only wipe at their faces (with much gentle care) if I just happened to get a smudge on them...which is pretty rare since I'm really careful with their faces...Especially for my more pale dolls:)