1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How come this site is called Den of Angels?

Jan 16, 2006

1. Well, that would definitely fit the profile of a troll.....or someone basically trying to be a smarta**.

I am actually serious, though...in another forum I'm on that's on this system when someone is banned, it shows up in bright red text (like the mod name text difference), so there's no doubt of that person's status. But here, it's the same text, so you never know. Are there words like that which wouldn't be accepted when you try to change your subtitle? Or would a mod just say "don't use that" if it was spotted?

2. That's so interesting how DoA got it's name! You learn something new every day!

Though I must be honest, when I first heard of this place, all I had heard about was the "DoA board" and I was like "The Dead on Arrival board?" But I quickly learned it wasn't even remotely close! This board is anything but dead - it's positively lively XD

3. Needless to say, I had no idea what "DOA" meant. I do read quite a lot of crime novels in English though so the first time someone mentioned that the acronym was strange, I was able to figure it out by myself. But I think that when the Yahoo group was first created, none of us had really thought of it, we were calling the group by its full name then.

4. I love the name Den of Angels, and I try to always say DoA, no idea what DOA means ^^U

5. Huh,
      Everyone has such interesting takes on the word den. For some reason I think of a den as a family unit... as in a lions den being composed of his mates, offspring, those he can rely upon etc. I'm not to sure what gave me that impression. I think it's a cute name too.

Hugs,
      Anna M.

6. Hahaha! Me too! I sometimes call it that in my head. I know others on my lj think I am talking about the game when I mention DoA because they are not all into dolls. LOL I even have one of the games. It actually is a good fighting game even with all the T&A.

But pushing that all aside, I think it is a good name, Den of Angels, and it has a nice history to it and means something. :)

7. Heee... the first time I heard DOA... I thought it stood for Dead on Arrival.
      ( Eighties punk group from Canada... whoot whoot)
      Still, I like the way that Den of Angels combines elements if being rough and sweet.

*Down with trolls* ( Now that I know what they are)

8. A Lion's Den gives a kind of interesting image. XD

Now all of a sudden I'm picturing a bunch of dolls hanging around in Lion costumes. *_*

9. XD.... I like that idea.

10. Oh dear, never occur to me to translate DOA to dead on arrival even though acronyms can stand for a lot of meanings. I've always referred to this forum as Den of Angels until lately when people I speak to refer to it simply as DoA. To me Den of Angels is quite a cozy name. Den to me apart from meaning a lion's den can be taken to mean a place to snuggle in, right? It just shows the human side of the ethereal angels. They come down to appease us.

11. OMG, your post just spun me right round, baby, right rount-Like a record baby...right...round...round...round.

12. THANKS A LOT. Now I'll never get that song out of my head!

13. That's a topical song here in the UK as Pete Burns is currently appearing in Celebrity Big Brother and sung it on the show just a couple of days ago. There's every chance it could be re-released then we'll all have another chance to memorise the lyrics :-)

14. Or for those of us who remember it from the first time around to have another trip down memory lane. :-)

Oh gods - I've just realised. In the white mohair wig Marius is wearing now, he looks like a white version of Pete Burns in the original video! My Hound is such an 80s New Romantic!! :roll:

[​IMG]

15. hehee that made me laugh a little. The hair is awesome.

16. Nevermind, it doesn't matter. ^^

17. One has to remember that when you say a word in English, it doesn't always have one solid, unfluctuating meaning. English is a very liberal language. Some things can mean different things; thus, 'den' doesn't necessarily mean the dwelling of an animal such as a bear. It can also be a certain room in a house or be a "lair." That's what I picture when I think of it- a richly-decorated room in a castle, or something. "Nest" can mean different things, too. I've seen it describe anything from the bird's dwelling to a particularly cozy bed to... Well, for any Anne Rice fans out there, you know.

It's why English is a beautiful language despite how confusing and weird it is. Words mean lots of things... So allow some slack for that. ^_^; Anyway, I think it's a great name and also that it's not such a big deal what it means. Besides, half the fun of a website's name is wondering what it means.

18. Hahahahaha I'm SOOOOO trying this next time Maeve comes for a visit!
      I need to make Vani a DOA outfit... still deciding WHO! XD
      And I'm soooo trying this!! - I'm not the best at animations, but I enjoy it and I try XD

19. For me "Den of..." was always "Den of Iniquity" (which I suppose is close to that opium den!). So "Den of Angels" was such an apt and charming contrast.

Although some of our recent trolls act like this is, indeed, "Den of Iniquity". :-(

(iniquity = absence of moral or spiritual values; "the powers of darkness" )

20. Hehehe... Den of Iniquity is this great dungeon in NYC - so when I read the name in a DoA post my first thought was of Su in a dominatrix outfit with a Hound at her feet. I'm bad.

But yeah, I'm glad this discussion came up. I never really wondered where the name came from, but now that I know, I LOVE it. I've had my share of really weird Japanese-English translations, usually when looking for some fancy word to make my homework sound better. As a huge Law & Order fan, though, "DOA" has always been "Dead on Arrival", no matter how often I try to imprint "Den of Angels" into my mind. The only luck I've had so far in changing my mindset is to change "DoA" into "Dead or Alive: Beach Volleyball". I need serious help.