1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How Did You Decide Size?

Apr 9, 2007

1. I wanted something bigger than my 1/6 non-BJD dolls, but the price of SDs seemed like too much, so a mini was a perfect choice :)

2. i got my first boy because of his head mold too^^

so now I have 2 minis and one mini head.

yes, thre are TONNES of sds that i want to get now. But i let their weight and price put them just at the edge of my list^^

sooo, it's mostly head mold, then price and weight.

I love doll outings. They ALWAYS convince me not to get a big boy. Plus the group that I hang out with has a quite fair number of minis <3
      I love the gang <3

3. Size was never really an issue for me, but four outta my five dolls *arent* the full 60cm that is considered SD. I've got an elfdoll Wu, never measured him but he's shorter than my 60cm Namu.(he's certainly bulkier though) Two of the boys are angelregion fair boys, and they really aren't much heavier than a volks msd. Angelregion resin is dead light, and these guys are short (for SD's anyway) and skinny! In addition, I have a ricky head on a SD 10 volks body and that's a helluve a heavy, although short. &#172;.&#172; I do tend to find myself having difficulty posing anything that's bigger than 60cm though. >.<

I plan on an msd too, just because they're way cute and have that portability and when properly wired you can pose them a little more and put them in more things because, well, they're that little bit smaller. I love tinies cos they're so freakin' cute....But I would lose one, or neglect it because it's just so tiny.

Like others have said, you could always trundle along to a nearby meet and see what you size you end up prefering, and if you end up with a doll thats just too small, or too big, there's nothing to stop you selling it on again.

4. No idea how much exactly a SD doll weighs but I do recall that, when I received my SD10 boy, the package weighed (as it was declared on the posting label on the box) 3kg. XD

As for your original question, the way I decided what size my boys would be was simple: the older I get, the worse my eyesight becomes, and the more size matters. So, bigger is good, I can see them much better when they're bigger. 8D

5. At first I thought I was only an SD kind of girl, because I thought there was no MSD face that could represent one of my characters. But I was wrong, 'cause I'm now in posession of a very sweet MSD and he's the perfect mold for Timothy.

... So there goes my 'IONLYLOVESD-DOLLS'-opinion.

6. Cost was a big factor for me, to be honest. And (surprise!) bigger dolls tend to cost more. But now that I have an MSD-size doll, I couldn't see owning one any larger. She's still a fairly substantial size, but she doesn't take up a lot of room.

Any future purchases will most likely be of the MSD variety, as well. :)

7. I also can't quite decide between a SD-sized doll or a MSD-sized doll. At first I was convinced I wanted a SD size but after looking around a bit I'm not so sure. Maybe it would be too big? I've never actually seen a ABJD in person before, so I have no idea. :/

8. I have more than one size--I like both minis and the bigger guys. My first two were minis, and the ones after them ended up being 60cm, because those happened to be the sculpts that fit their characters. They were also from the same storyline, so they needed to be inscale with each other. The two minis aren't from that storyline, so it doesn't matter if they're smaller.

9. yeah...size could be an issue since the taller the doll, the higher the price. My doll is I think 51 or 54 cms. (DoT Shall):lol: and I think it's also kinda okay for me to have those 60cm dolls because they are more of the "realistic" factor for me and I personally think they are easier to make jewelry for. the MSDs are also nice because I feel the "thing". Because of the weight, it feels more real :)

10. I love SD size dolls but felt they are maybe too big for me. I love Hounds and Bernards but although they were boys I fancied, I love MSD size boys more so went for them. MSD are still big in my opinion so I went for that ;3 And I fell in love with the mould of my boy so it was a done deal!

11. That's me as well. I'm short, and I don't want a doll that will dwarf me.

I chose MSD size because I didn't want a big doll. I may get one eventually, but I think I'll most likely stick with MSDs and Tinies. Plus, I love Angela's mold (tinyfairy Sarang). She's gorgeous.

12. I chose all of my dolls by their face alone.One is a mini and two SD sized.Have to say though,the MSD is easier to carry around,but making clothes for SD is easier.I find sewing for such a small doll (there are smaller ones of course) really difficult.
      About future dolls,I'm not sure if I get any more or if they will be SD or MSD.Generally I prefer the bigger ones.
      Oh,and about carrying! I got a nice bag that fits two SD's sitting,so they caan look around while being dragged around by me. :) I dont find them too heavy either (despite being just 5'1'' lol). :sweat

13. I like SD sized dolls cause they are easier to hug/cuddle and carry in my arms... but that's just me xDD I am planning on a few MSDs though ^^

14. I bought my first doll based on the face-mold, regardless of size, and it just happened to be SD-sized. When I ordered, I had no clear idea on their sizes or weight, so it didn't become an issue.

Once he got here, his size took a day or two to get used to, but once i did, I found I adored the size of SD's. I'm actually hesitant to get anything smaller now. I just like the weight and feel of SD-sized dolls in my arms. <3 I'd like to get an MSD-sized doll or two at some point, though.

15. Ringo chose me. Seriously...so i didnt fuss with it really. But i love all the sizes and i like small things anyways. :D I'm no longer intimadated by SD's either. :D

16. I had a MSD sized doll first because it was cheaper.
      Now my second doll was a SD sized doll because I loved her face.
      But SD is just way better than MSD because it's more detailed, lovely!
      Now I'm going to stick with the size! XD

17. I had a smaller doll, and he wasn't as mature as I wanted him to be. His face was just too child-like. ^w^;;;
      SDs are perfect. <3

18. I like SD sized dolls a lot. But I got a MSD first, becasue she is cheaper.

19. when I first started collecting BJDs there were only SD and MSD ..and Unoa :aheartbea

but then I saw Elfdoll Sylph and PocketFairy Yoko
      my heart was stolen

I sold all of my large dolls , and bought tinys

since then I have Narea size and Kayz Kids SD

but my heart belongs still to the tinys ...it has nothing to do with cost , tiny isnt necessarily cheaper
      But
      I just love tiny , :aheartbea :aheartbea

I would sell all of my larger dolls if I had too ...but would be gutted to part with my tinys

20. Decide on a size? I can't! I want all the sizes! I like diversity in my dollies.
      I got myslef Yo sizes and SD sizes right now, but I do have an MSD planned too. The order I got them in is just the order of when I saw a good deal, or when Dollpas happened.
      I don't really discriminate in sizes. I love ALL sizes of dollies! ^_^