1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How Did You Decide Size?

Apr 9, 2007

1. I agree about the clothing for SD boys though - not a huge selection to choose from.

2. I want the usual 56-60cm doll because I just love the things you can do with them! Plus they have amazing carry cases ^^

3. I started out with MSDs partly due to cost and partly due to concern that the SDs might be harder to carry and handle. After my first two dolls, I ended up with SDs, because those were the sculpts that I found fit my characters--plus I found that the size really wasn't the issue I was afraid it will be. I've never switched anybody from one size to another, and don't see myself doing so. I like both minis and SDs, though now I have mostly SDs.

4. My first was a 60 but the last two I purposefully bought were minis. It's a nice cuddly size. I also have a pair of 70s and they are like little people and weigh about as much.

Do you plan to carry your doll a lot? I fond the 60 and 70s can be held like children with their legs wrapped around your waist. The minis work best cuddled in an elbow. Either doll can get heavy after awhile. I had a mini out yesterday and I felt like scolding him for eating too much.

As for mixing they get along well enough. The minis tend to look like younger siblings but we're happy.

5. Me, too!

My dolls range from 11.5cm to 70cm, with many many many stops along the way. Mostly that I fall in love with their faces.

I started with DoD DoC Too & Bee-A, followed fairly quickly by Dollmore Dean, followed by a resin horde. :D

All sizes, all the way.

Ann in CT

Happiness is . . . . almost enough resin ;)

6. I generally collect 1/6 or 1/7 scale anime figures and kits, so anything larger than those (especially SD size dolls.. so big!) generally seem a little too big for me :sweat
      I am very taken by MSD size dolls though, since they're not a huge amount bigger. MSD and smaller are the cutest! ;)

7. My first 2 were SD, but have sold now 2 other SD I had bought so I can get more MSD's as I find I enjoy their sizes more, although I do have one tiny, but she is 11"/30CM so I hardly call her tiny. So MSD is going to rule around here.

8. I was one of the last in my groups of friends to actually get a doll, and I saw how, one after another, they all started with MSD size dolls because they were less expensive and ended up eventually wanting larger dolls. So I figured I'd cut to the chase and go for a SD size. There was also the factor that it is harder (or at least was) to find mature MSD size bodies.

9. I never even thought about it. The first doll I fell in love with is an SD (and a big one at that), so I picked him up first. I'm pretty happy with his size, which is impressive, he's twice as tall as the largest dolls I collected before him, and it makes me feel like he's worth the money I shelled out to bring him home.

The second sculpt I fell in love with is an MSD (who is only in the very beginning stages of making his way to us), who looks kind of like a youngish teen to me. He works for a character of mine who's meant to be pretty short in comparison to my SD boy's, so the size differential won't make much of a difference to me, and the fact that he's a bit cheaper for it isn't hurting me any. It all depends on preference and what you're looking for.

Anyway, I'll echo everyone who's suggested going to a doll meet and seeing which size works for you in person if you're not sure. It's good advice.

10. Size didn't really matter in this case. I found the perfect mold for me (the CP Moon) and that was that. That's honestly what I look for more than anything else. Does the mold and the sculpt appeal. If they do, then I'm more likely to want to put the money down for it. I really don't go into anything deciding whether I want an MSD or SD. ^^;

11. My decision will be based on economics. I already have a large stockpile of 1/6 clothing (from other dolls I collect) so any doll I get will have to be able to wear them because I cannot justify buying any more clothes! :) Also, I love how tinies are so portable.

12. Hello, Daniel ^_^

If you want to go all-MSD (which Volks *does* release clothing for), then Schulze head is a good match for the School A. The existing SD13 boy might feel out of place, though.

I've got a character I originally planned for SD13 boy body, but now I'm switching him to SD Boy. I'm going to put him in SD13 clothing anyway, the looseness would be cute on him. I'm not too worried about finding clothes that actually fit him, as I noticed that other companies do release stuff for SD boys, and the marketplace is full of talented seamstresses who can do commissions.

(As an added bonus, SD Boys can wear SD girls shoes... if you've got a cross-dressing boy...^_~ )

13. Thanks so much for the direct input, jinlin!

I actually have plans for three boys: an SD13 longleg Williams boy, a School Head A on an SD body, and either a SD Kun boy or MSD boy.

The School Head A was supposed to be a SD boy to begin with, but Volks does not cater to their SD boys clothing as much as to their SD13 boys. I thought of putting him onto a SD13 boy body, but I decided to stick to my original SD10 concept. Its alright, since I found an ideal SD-sized kimono for him on DOA.

As to the last boy, Im still unsure about him. He is supposed to be the younger brother to my future SD13 Kun girl, so using a Kun head for my boy makes sense. But at the same time, Im just enamored by all of the cute outfits that Volks makes for MSDs. The little guy will crossdress [since he's still in that experimental youth stage]. And like I said, Volks does not make a lot of clothing for SD boys to begin with. So all of the fancy outfits Ive bought for the Kun boy are all dresses. :sweat

I may end up buying a MSD kit and seeing which type of doll fits my little brother character more.

14. I thinks it's your feeling about your future doll. Some like only small dolls so I do only like larger dolls. But the smaller are so cute!! But larger once are heavier, I always getting exhausted after a day carrying arround my SD16 ^^

15. I fell in love with the mold of a larger doll, and the sizes of all the other dolls I want just followed. I suppose I could get a minifee, it's occured to me before. If I get a smaller version I'd be able to get him right now. But the larger size just seems right and all the other dolls I like are that size too.
      And if I don't like that size I can sell him and get a smaller version. Or just get my next dolls in a smaller size.

16. I loved the large size of SD13s right from the get-go, and also the sculpts that appeal to me are mostly larger dolls. As far as I'm concerned most MSDs and Tinies look way too childish for my tastes, and I much prefer the more adult look of SDs :)

17. Sometimes I swear they choose me. :XD:

As for size preference, it depends on what I want at the time.
      I choose mostly for the face/body sculpt. Eyecandy is what I'm after. ;)
      But I'm finding when it comes to photo story making, it's far easier to just grab a couple of them and go, regardless of size. A bundle of MSDs is more hassle because there are more, not easier because of size or weight. I've only two hands, and one has to keep control of the camera... :sweat

18. I prefer mature-faced and -bodied dolls, myself, so I'm more in the realm of the 60cm guys and gals. I love MSDs, though! I don't think I'd hesitate to buy one if I found one I really loved - unless I had no money at the time, since then I'd have to wait! :lol:

I think tinies are really cute, but I'd be afraid of losing/breaking/having a cat eat one! And I really, really love 70cm faces, but their bodies are all really, really thin, and that's not something that really appeals to me. I may have to suck it up eventually, though! Bernard is my effin' muse - he's so freaking GORGEOUS. *_*

19. I have 60cm dolls. Elfdoll Ryung was the first BJD I fell in love with. I ordered her before I had even seen or held a BJD in person. The first time I held a BJD it was a 60cm and I was surprised at the weight. But, it felt good to me! I only have 60cm and don't plan to collect any other size.

20. Well, my first doll will be a 63cm boy, mostly because I fell in love with the mold, and I also like the heavy feel of the bigger dolls. However, a friend got a limited tiny for me, so I guess I like a lot of different sizes. :sweat