1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How Did You Decide Size?

Apr 9, 2007

1. I took a ruler, measured up from my desk, and decided MSD is a better size for me to handle. There are some SD that have caught my eye, so never say never, but MSD seems more of what I'll want.

2. Right now I'm more in the mature MSD scale and under, cause I have some tinies as well.
      At my first meeting I could see and hold a Delf El, I was scared of damaging him at first then I wanted to see his joints better (hope the owner didn't mind me pulling his leg to see the elastic inside). :sweat
      But at that time I really couldn't afford a doll that big, nor there were molds I liked. All the dolls I really liked were smaller, that's it.
      Now that I can afford one, I'm considering it but I still don't have one I really like so it may take some time. :)

3. haha I did the very same thing with the ruler. I have one puki-sized, one Yo, one Minigem and one sort of MSD. Next is an SD. I don't have a favrourite size...I like them all.

4. To decide wich doll size I wanted for my first doll I went to a convention. I had a meet up with my friend cause she allready had one. She had a Yo-SD sized doll, I was able to hold her for a while and find out that the Yo-SD size was a little to small at that moment. There where also a lot of SD size dolls on the conventions and that was a little to big in my oppinion since they where so heavy. I wanted a MSD doll, that's the size wich is between the two. But at that same convention I fell in love with my first doll I've bought, and you'll never geuss, she was a SD doll from preak's woods. At this moment I have all the possible sizes, tiny; Yo-SD; MSD and SD

5. Don't kill me, but it was the money...

Seriously, I decided to have MSD partly because they were cheaper than SDs (and I'm not into tinys, no matter how cheap they are). Some also say they're easier to handle. And of course my favourite doll was MSD.
      I mean, I wouldn't have bought buy a MSD if I found a SD I liked better. ^^

6. ummm, I try to match them to my characters...but sometimes, the mold I like is on a larger scale than I'd like. But it doesn't phase me much. I'd still buy a mold I like even if it's not the size I really wanted. ^.^;

7. To me size is not very much of a concern unless you want to match them together like AnchixDPx n___n Personally, I would look at the sculpt before I look at the size and my first BJD is a MSD and I'm saving up for a SD and 2 animal BJDs (size of 1/6) n___6

8. That would really depends on the size of my room~

9. When I was choosing my first a doll clothes were one thing what I was thinking. What kind of clothes were available for different sizes. I liked one of kind clothes and they were kimonos.
      And of course which size have the doll what I like. And maybe money was one thing. Bigger dolls cost more than little one.

10. I got a MSD for my first (she is on her way!) because I didnt want to spend so much on a large doll and not be able to carry it around with me just because it was too big or too heavy. If I have a doll I'd want to show it off. So I got a MSD for my first so I can get used to how they work and how they compare to people. Im currently saving up for my first SD because its going to be my lil girls big brother. But i may get another MSD as well as an SD :/

11. I was fortunate enough to play with one of my friend's dollfies. She has one of the really big ones and some of the tinier ones. I'm really glad that I was able to actually hold them because the size in my mind and the actual one was way off. That sort of prompted me to get my smaller one : ) The big ones are too much doll for me to start off with. I'm super happy with my decision!! :fangirl:

12. I purchased a Lati Yellow Lumi and sold her. She was super sweet and I adored her, but I wanted something bigger. I fell in love with a DOT Shall and she is pretty big. So I got her for my next doll. Total ends of the spectrum. She is really wonderful, and I am so happy I got her, but generally I seem to fall for the MSD's. I actually just got a Twiggy Yumi who is an MSD. I really love my DOT SHALL, but the MSD size is easier to carry with you if you want to do outdoorsy shots.

13. My first doll was a Tiny Fairy from Blue Fairy. I suppose that's an MSD size.
      I don't fancy big dolls, and i thought a medium size would be good to work with.
      (i was torn between that and a Shiny Fairy at the time)

However, when i received her, i didn't get a connection. Whether it was the size or the face, i just couldn't keep her. I think it was the face. Her nose was more turned up than what the pictures showed. But her joints were too lose. She'd be standing there then suddenly fall! I didn't like how she couldn't bend so well... :huh?:

That's when i decided on a pukipuki from Fairy Land. It took longer to receive but it was worth it! People may say it's too difficult handling tiny BJD's but i don't think so at all.:)
      He's very sturdy and can make so many poses! It's like owning a chibi. I've always like tiny things and i think i'll keep to tiny. :aheartbea

14. HAD to go for SD size and I was set on getting that size from the get-go. I want to make accurate historical costumes and it gets really hard to make them when you talk about MSD or mini sized dolls. There were a few times when I thought I would totally back out and not get a BJD at all b/c SD sizes cost more. However, I'm one of those people that when I know I want something... I will figure out a way to get it somehow. hehe

15. I don't. :sweat

For me, a doll is 90 % face and 10 % everything else. If I find a doll with a head sculpt that I just ~click~ with, the size of the doll won't matter. I currently have two SD-sized dolls (one 70 cm, one 60 cm), and even though I measured up their heights using a ruler and shuddered at how OMFG HUGE they would going to be, they somehow appear much smaller to me in person! But then again, I'm pretty tall myself (176 cm), so I guess it's only natural. Oh, and let's not forget how the dolls are built, proportion-wise; My Chiron is a pretty slender guy, and while my Gentle Freezia has some meat on her, she can't exactly be called fat, muscular or even THAT curvy. Yes, they both might be tall, but face it, their skinniness makes them appear less like enormous behemoths and more like wobbling flagpoles. ;)

16. Size doesn't matter to me. Though, I do like larger dolls more. I have an MSD and a PukiPuki, and my MSD gets most of the attention. She's just funner to do things with. :D The next doll I want is an SD, though. Luts Delf SOO. I saw her at a convention and fell in love! <3

17. Half the time when I'm shopping for dolls, I don't pay attention to the size. Essentially, when I'm just in the planning phase, I don't care. Body sculpt is the most important--I only collect mature dolls, so that's what I look at first. Next is the face, and next is the price, which is regrettably fairly important at this point.

Last, and least important, is the size. While I'm not a fan of tinies in general, if I found a mature tiny with a face I liked at the right price, you'd better believe I'd snap it up. My first doll was an MSD from ResinSoul, and I love that size. She's so cuddly, and I love being able to carry her around. My very next doll was a 70 cm, though, total opposite, and I love the ability to make her clothes. So much less fiddly to make clothes for a larger doll! When I got her, though, I was astounded at how tall she was.

The rest of the dolls on my want!list are split fairly evenly between MSD and SD, and though I've never found a tiny that I love, I keep looking.

18. I had no idea how big a SD doll was when I bought my girl. I just loved her sculpt. Her body was beautiful and lithe in the pictures, and that was all I saw as a newbie. When I opened her, I was surprised by the size. I like it now and have grown to appreciate it. She has presence. I think I'm mostly attracted larger dolls now because I prefer mature beauty like hers. Cute is nice, but I don't see myself doing anything with a tiny cute doll. There are some mature MSDs I like but am hesitant to put on the want list just because I'm intimidated by their unfamiliar size(s). I don't know if I will be happy with smaller dolls. It's awful because I love the look of Iple's MSDs and have considered saving for one (or even two...). When I see a MSD in person I may change my mind. SD size I definitely like though. :D

19. I just buy whatever I like. I never look for a certain size. I would browse through the entire company's catalog before making a decision on what I like and dislike.
      So far, I only like SD sized dolls because of their faces. I guess I don't want a childish doll (yet!).