1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How Did You Decide Size?

Jun 23, 2011

1. At first I thought I only wanted small dolls, like pukifee size bc I couldn't really find any bigger dolls I was interested in, but just recently I found a MSD size doll I want!!

2. When it comes to plushies I like them bigger, but when it comes to dolls I like them smaller (but not too small)! I'm a fan of a lot of MSD sculpts, but when I really measured it out against me/my desk/my other items, it just felt a little big for me. In the future I might be interested in having an MSD instead of just looking at them, but, for now, I'll simply admire from afar!

I ended up sticking with YoSDs because they were petite, but not too petite! I guess I like the idea of holding them in my arms snugly. (As my cats would know, I love hugging tiny cute things!) And because the character I'm hoping to shell into my YoSD is based off the general idea of forest sprites/faeries, I always associate them with being small and sprite-like. (So, another reason I tend toward YoSDs instead of mature tinies.) I love MSD proportions, but it just wouldn't be right for any of my characters.

3. I have two YOSD's right now because they are supposed to be 7-8 years old! I think my doll's size depends on their age!

4. I was initially going to get an MSD but when I heard it was difficult to find MSD stuff compared to SD (as in the choices of clothes and accessories were more limited) that influenced my choice. That made me want to get a doll in the 50cm-55cm range, as the character I'm shelling is petite and I thought if I ever got other dolls they'd be from the same universe and so they'd need to be in proportion and that way they wouldn't have to be huge. However, on the cheaper sites I couldn't find a doll in that range with a face I liked until the 58cm mark. Then I saw it was barely any extra to go up to 60 and I found a 60cm doll I really loved, so that decided me.

Now that my shortest adult character is 60cm the male character I was planning to eventually shell will need to be 67-70cm in order to be in proportion with her. It also means if I shell her son he'll have to be about 40cm.

5. Actually I thought about how the dolls matched into the family before, but now my doll family ended up with whatever I like without considering the size or proportion.:sweat

6. Personally, I prefer the size and price of MSD. I also want all my dolls to eventually be in a story together so I want to keep them the same size for photo stories and stuff like that.

7. I was unsure when I was looking for my first doll. I ended up going with MSD after going to a few local meets and getting the chance to handle other people's dolls ^_^

8. After I have at least one for every size, I got the answer at last.

9. The two dolls I had the pleasure of holding prior to getting my own were both big SD boys, and were too cumbersome for my personal tastes, so I chose msd for my first and it ended up being perfect for me!

10. Honestly I pick dolls by their sculpts and not their sizes, but I’d say I prefer MSDs. Mostly because props I find fit their size and also there’s more places I can fit them in ^^

11. I prefer SD !! I like big dolls

12. My first doll was a ringdoll Dracula 70cm. I just fell in love with the sculpt and didn't care about the size. I have a msd that I got from a MoC grab bag, I love him but his a bit small for me. My favourite doll is my 63cm doll I find him a really nice size. the one I play with the most often is my dc André, my avatar picture. He has his own house, cookware, laptop,toys and a skateboard collection.
      I think it has a lot to do with the sculpt for me not the size so much. I have to say I enjoy sewing for the big guys the best.

13. Like many others, I went for the sculpt. I ordered a Modoll Thranduil and 72cmbody for him, because I wanted Thranduil. I didn’t even know much about BJDs, but I thought the sculpt was so cool. After that, I looked at others, but just preferred the more mature sculpts and their size. I collect 1/6 action figures (off topic here) but for BJDs I prefer 60cm and up to keep in with my collection. The exceptions are the characters who are meant to be children.

14. I like MSDs a lot! I like their size and youthful but not too youthful sculpts. Also I find them pretty easy to shop for :3c all those factors played a huge role in me picking my DZ girl.

I think pukifees are too small for me (I own one and she can stay but no more!) but I’m willing to give a YoSD a chance. I am going to be ordering an SD soon and he’s going to be a total wild card. For now MSDs are my first choice and always have been.

15. I fall in that awkward gray area of liking mature sculpts but wanting MSD sizes. When I first started looking at dolls I don't think the overlap even existed yet. It was either mature sculpts in sizes way larger than what I wanted or dolls the right size that looked too young. I'm glad there are a few more mature MSD options nowadays like Iplehouse's FID line!

16. Originally, I wanted something YoSD-sized so it could share props and do poses with my sixth-scale skeleton figure, but options for mature tinies are pretty limited and didn't suit the character I had in mind, and I definitely didn't think I could handle an entire SD or bigger, so I settled on MSD-size.

17. Lack of space is a problem here, so my choices goes to smaller dolls, 1/4 ones being a reasonable size.
      Too bad that the ones that truly conquers my heart are the big and more mature dolls :...(

18. Size is sort of an ongoing struggle for me... I feel like the best handfeel for a doll is around 50cm, but I keep finding myself drawn to 70+cm heads. I really don't like huge dolls, but I've caved and bought 1 just because it's my favorite headsculpt ever.

But yeah, that vague and hard-to-explain handfeel is really important to me. Large MSDs are just the perfect height/ weight/ proportion imo I just wish that stylistically their heads were a bit smaller and more mature in general.

19. For me, deciding size counts on two factors:
      1. How old is the character
      2. How much space do I have

Most of my dolls will be MSD size based on the space I have in my house. But there's one I'd like to get from MerryDollRound that's their Pygmy size, because the character will literally be half the size of her brother without looking too young.

20. I wanted to mammals clothes for my dolls so I got one that’s big and one that’s tiny xD I like making clothes for the big doll that I can add lots of details to but making small clothes is also really fun and cute.