1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How Did You Decide Size?

Jun 23, 2011

1. I just thought I wanted something I could cuddle...Also one I could sew a little easier for...XD;; I usually sew for the smaller scale slim 1/6th and such but I decided I wanted to get up in size and also so I could watch movies or something with my doll and if I happened to doze off well..There wouldn't be a doll missing in the sheets...So I picked MSD...Kid Delf Yuz.

2. Oh gosh.. I tried to stick to MSD.. they're easier overall.. easy to travel with, easy to style (I think)... but gosh. Doll sizes really comes down to if the doll will fit the character I'm looking for.. so Size is -considered- but ultimately.. not the deciding factor @_@ My attempt to stay MSD has turned into me getting more SD plans..

3. I chose MSD for my first doll, simply because it was easier to save up for xD I don't regret my decision, because I still love my DoC U, and it allowed me to bring him everywhere to show him off, since I was so excited to get him in the first place.

I have all sizes of dolls, though, from PKF at 11.5cm to a 70cm Dikadoll Autumn. I couldn't say which size is my favorite. I defintely have the most SDs, but I really love MSDs too hahaha

4. Before I got into BJDs, I had Pullips and Hestia dolls (1/6 size, though Pullips are an oddity). While doing some mindless browsing I discovered photos of a Hestia on a 1/4 doll body and thought it looked great! I searched and searched for a cheap 1/4 body, dipping into the cheaper resin ones (like ResinSoul). I never did rebody any of my Hestia dolls (and ended up selling all but one anyway), but I was fixated on 1/4 dolls because of this. I had seen a 16" Tonner doll for the first time in person during my Hestia phase and really liked her size. She was a huge doll to me - whom ever only had Barbies - but it was a size I could handle too. The only larger dolls I've owned are Hasbro Lorifina (20") and Tonner American Model (22"). I loved them both but ended up selling them.

I have two tinies. My first is a 29cm Momocolor Lucy. I was kind of surprised at how much I like her size (come to think of it I have several Monster High dolls which are about the same height and I love their size too). My second is a Sugarble 26cm Adela. I don't think I can go any smaller because she is so delicate and her resin is really thin. That and it's tough to find mature tinies that small anyway.

5. Hmm hard question. I have a line up in my head, for all of my characters. They have an own story and based on that i decide the size of them. Actually i am planning two more dolls in MSD-size, because both of them will show teenagers and all the other ones will be SD size. And about Minimees, all of them will be SD-size as well.

6. My first doll was a slender mini, I figured it would be a good size to start with because it was closer to the other dolls I collected, but I found that to be my least favorite size over time. I now prefer the 60-ish cm dolls or the 20-30 cm tinies.

7. At first I wanted an SD but I feel that it would ne hard to bring it around with me. So I decided to get a smaller doll first, a 16cm one.

8. I chose my size based on what I had room for. I didn't want something huge, nor did I want something small. The MSD sized worked out for me in the end. Not too big and not too small.

9. I chose a 70cm+ because I wanted to have a doll with a mature image. I do not mind owning dolls in other sizes too but I prefer the taller ones.

10. Size was decided for me, as my first doll was a gift and she came as a yo-sd. I've loved the size ever since

11. I wanted an adult looking doll, that's why I've chosen 60 cm dolls. I had a chance to play with an 1/6 doll also and I think I would buy one because they are so cute and it's easy to handle and carry them.

12. I like how big SD's are ;o; so, yeah... that's why my first one was an SD guy and all the dolly plans I have are SD dolls. I only own one msd and I love it to bits but I'll keep on the SD size from now on:)

13. i don't really care about size.. what i DO care is doll's sculpt. I bought my first BJD cause he was stunning (for me) inspite of the fact he is SD

14. I started by purchasing a small MSD (AIL Aya-37 cm) and I found this ideal size to handle!
      I have a small SD (OceanMoon 50cm) and I know I will not be comfortable with larger sizes ...
      I have 3 BJD between 25 and 30cm, and I now find that this size suits me: easy to photograph, take away, to dress well. But I know a smaller size does not suit me even if I find some adorable tinies!...
      So I browse through my ideal size : 25-40cm ;)

15. My favourite size is probably the bigger SD dolls because I'm very tall and they just feel more bulky and substantial to me. My first doll was an MSD; greatly due to financial and spacial restrictions at the time and there is something to be said for a light doll that can just be picked up and carried with ease. Tinies are very cute and transportable. The only size doll I don't own is a Yo-SD or 1/2 size - I don't think I'd go for a 1/2 size but there's definitely going to be some yo-SD twins on the way in the future.

16. At the moment I far prefer tinies. I have two 38 cm ladies, a 14 cm and a 9.5 cm Real Puki. I like the size of Barbies, but had become dissatisfied by their inability to pose, their non human proportions and fake looking faces. I found Soom because of their fantasy dolls and got a tan Mini Gem. Tinies are rather hard to sew for and I quite like Resin Soul's hooved MSDs, and Minifees. I may some day have a SD, but I would have to be head over heels in love with them as there will only be one. They are to big and too expensive for me to have multiples.

17. I usually see what their face/eye structures are and compare to any planned characters that I have for stories and what not... However i am not fond of tiny dolls, for some reason.. So far, I have a DOD DOC, which I feel extremely comfortable with the size.. And there will be two Tinies and a larger size doll coming soon, so I'll be able to compare and actually see what my size range is. I usually like the less humanoid type tinies, such as the Ada from DC and the new events from DZ... However, I won't know for sure until I have them... Ahhh~

18. My favourite size is SD, just because dolls that size have a special 'something' that other dolls don't have. I suppose MSDs and Teenies feel more similar to other commercial dolls, whereas I haven't seen any mainstream commercial doll that is the size of an SD. I do enjoy Teenies and MSDs as well, but the bulk of my collection is made up of SDs.

19. Think I've always been for SDs; I've got little ones in different sizes, and I wanted to switch to MSDs so badly (so much easier to manage, and travel with!) but SDs just seem to have more to them, somehow!

Unoas have really been growing on me as well though... :)

20. I have an msd I chose the size because an sd is too big I wouldn't no where to put it and yo-sd's are to fiddily