1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How Did You Decide Size?

Jun 23, 2011

1. I prefer mature looking dolls and never cared for the childlike or stylized dolls, which SD's fit the bill perfectly. There are a few mature looking MSD's out there, but they barely compare to what I like in a doll, so if I want a mature 1/4th doll I go for Tonners, and for 1/6th scale, Barbies and Integrity all the way. Plus, I specifically joined this hobby because never before had I seen dolls this extravagantly detailed so large! I do own a handful of smaller dolls, but....my least favorite SD doll gets twice the attention they do! So yeah, when I'm shopping for a new doll, it's already made up in my mind that's going to be SD, and honestly, I treat my 2 MSD and 5 tinies more like props than I do actual dolls. Like bjd's for my SD's, haha.

2. I chose my Vito sized (52 cm) boy because the character that I have for him and the character I have paired with him have a slight height difference, not as great as an MSD and SD difference, but perfect when paired with an MSD.

3. When I was shopping for my first BJD I went straight for SD size because if I was going to spend a butt load of money on a doll I wanted something substantial in return.
      At first I was positive I would never buy any size other than SD but I now have a 1/6 size doll and three MSD's on the way so I clearly changed my mind.

I find that each size has it's own level of fun.

4. I think msd is the most suitable size, but I'm more attracted to sd dolls as they look more mature, I like some yosd's but I'm not that big on them (but I love lati's)

5. I don't ever really choose what size I want. After my first doll I wanted another doll in the same size range so that I wouldn't have to start over buying clothes and shoes and whatnot. That didn't end up happening though. I've just ended up getting a doll because I like the doll and now I have a range of sizes. That being said though, I do prefer larger dolls. I have a 70cm guy and I absolutely LOVE his size. I think larger is my preference, but I will buy any size so long as I like the doll.

6. I decided on a 58cm girl because when it comes to designing clothes I figured it would be easier to detail rather than a smaller doll where I'd struggle trying to sew smaller clothing, at least for me :P

I also had to decide on her age, I wanted her to be taller than a younger doll since she's technically supposed to be older than the smaller dolls so I suppose that decided it for me too! :)

7. at first I thought I woul only want tiny dolls because i thought they would be easiest for me to deal with per say. But now that I have had a tiny doll for a little bit I have boughten an msd doll becasue I feel as though I can relate more to her than I can to my tiny. I still love my tiny and everythign but I feel the difference in size is what I need.

8. When I first started looking I really wanted an SD, but after thinking about it I decided that it would probably be better for me to try a smaller doll first... so I went with MSD. I'm really glad I made that decision, I love my MSD girl so much :D

9. The first bjd I 'met' was a 70cm, and I was in love with his size. Then I started browsing and I've always been pretty sure I would start with the big ones, though a couple of smaller dolls caught my eye. Aaaaand then I fell for Sabik and 80cm it was.

10. LOL, I read my original post and realized, now I have two 1/6 dolls again. It's so difficult dressing them. O_o My little YoSD guy lives in his Yukata set. Ah well. After having all the sizes but the 1/12, I still think I'm more comfortable with the big dolls. SD and 70 plus. My MSD girl languishes for clothing, with her patterns just sitting there. She's mostly a sewing mannequin for other people's projects. I'm going to make an effort in 2014 to make her 6 new outfits all her own. >.<;;

I don't think I could handle anything bigger than the 80 cm guys. Those huge girls are tempting but their faces are too child like for their size. I've seen great face ups for the 'immature' looking faces on smaller dolls, though, so perhaps I'll see a reason to change my mind later as they filter into the community and more face ups show up on line.

11. I guess I chose based on what dolls I first fell in love with? All the dolls I fell in love with early on were SD size, and then the first MSDs I saw were more childlike, so I usually think of them as children to SDs. But as most of my characters are young adults, it's harder for me to see them as MSD...

12. My first doll was an 60cm sized boy and I don't think I had any thoughts on size until I bought my first MSD sized girl because I had waaaay more fun with her than my 60cm boy, so that left me with the impression that maybe MSDs were more my thing and I was prepared to focus on collecting that size. However later on I discovered a 60cm girl head mold that I really loved and I decided to take a chance of getting her head and hybridizing her on one of the shorter 50cm range girl bodies and I am totally smitten. I think in the end that I just have more fun crafting for the girls than I do the boys. ^^; Of course I still enjoy the boy dolls and I hope to add more one day, but I think to get my craft on I really need to have a girl of a particular size to fuss over before the boys.

13. I started with msds because they were cheaper and take up less room. Although, with the amount I spent on my first doll I could have easily bought an sd instead. I really was scared that a 60cm doll would be to much for me to handle and I didn't have a lot of space at the time so I decided I would start with a smaller doll. Now, I'm want at least 2 of each size. I already have 3 msds and 2 yosds. I think it's time to get a couple of bigger dolls. I have planned my next doll as a Migidoll Cho. He's going to be on a 68cm body and I'm a little worried but I really really want him.

14. I prefer smaller dolls just because t hey're less cumbersome and expensive, but I think if there was a 60cm+ doll that I really wanted I would probably go for it

15. Bigger dolls are easier if I try to sew any clothes for them. Not so tiny details. So I started with SD. I also have one MSD, quite new one, just want to try that size too.

16. Well at the beginning I didn't decide size. For my first doll I decided the sculpt, I wanted a Pukifee Luna so bad! When she arrived I immediately loved her size, the 16cm size is still my favourite. I also tried YOSDs because I thought 25cm is not that much bigger and they are also pretty amazing and great to handle. I have a few MSDs around here, too but this size is better for me to look at rather than play a lot. They usually are on display only.

17. I don't have a particular size doll. I have a tiny, a yosd and some MSDs!
      I decided that I didn't want an SD when I saw the comparison of SD and MSD. My MSDs are about 20 years old, so I could never have an SD cause they look so childish compared to them!

18. I have to be able to have all my dolls fit into a single carry-on bag in box and fit on a single book shelf out of box since I'm a migratory person right now (I flip flop between home and university) so all my dolls are tinies. I won't buy any doll over 30 cm in height. I prefer the mature look so that combined with the size limit culls down my new addition options quite a bit. I really only have three more dolls I really want and I have two of those in progress so my doll crew is mostly done. I've been tempted by the MSDs but I really don't have the space for them. Those few extra cm really add up.

19. I was collecting Monster High dolls, then I got a Disney Limited Edition 17" doll and adored the larger size. I figure the bigger the better I suppose. My first doll I am buying is 60cm. :)

20. My friend already had bjd's. She had yosd, msd and sd at the time. I borrowed her msd to see if it was something for me and found her too big. I borrowed a yosd next and when my friend wanted her doll back, I missed the yosd. Sitting there on my shelf. being pretty, easy to carry around, lovely to photograph. So my first doll became a yosd.