1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How Did You Decide Size?

Jun 23, 2011

1. I started with MSDs because SDs were too expensive for me to justify buying one to myself, and because I was intimidated by the size. I thought the MSD size would be more managable/transportable.

I bought my first SD because an MSD I bought didn't work out and I decided to use the money from reselling him to grab a christmas deal (my nYID Theo). Once I got into SDs I couldn't stop. Now I have 4.

I'll never sell my two MSDs, but now I'm really into the bigger dolls. XD

2. When I was searching for my first doll, he had look like certain character I had in my head. Size was the secondary criteria. Generally, "the bigger, the better" motto works for me.

3. I have a couple friends who collect, and I largely try to keep my dolls in scale to theirs because we tend to get RP characters. (And when we get dolls, we get them to fit in groups, so keeping them all around the same size is nice for Photo shoots.) I have to say, I love the JiD and YiD from Iplehouse, despite being a mostly SD girl. I have one Soom Fairy and a Volks Dollfie but those almost seem too small for me for bjd. Most of my characters are also adults so getting them as an SD gives an older look. If we got smaller scales dolls who looked like adults I'd be more inclined toward them.

4. Honestly it just seemed like all the SD sized sculpts appealed to me. I liked a few MSDs as well but I ended up getting an SD instead (He isn't here yet) but I've seen them before as well and I quite like them. I like how they feel when you hold them and mess with their legs. It just feels really solid and nice.

5. I was instantly attracted to 70cm dolls and the majority of my favorite sculpts I've seen are 70cm, but I've never owned one. I started with a 60cm SD and I realized I don't like it that much, but I'm in the process of trying to tell if it's the size I don't like or the sculpt cause things like that can get muddled. I also have an MSD that I absolutely adore which makes me think smaller sizes may be for me, but I also feel like you can't really tell until you actually hold one. At least I can't, because I know my mind just won't register the size until I hold it in my hands, so my resolve is to have at least 1 doll of each size I'm interested in to see if I'm meant to collect dolls of all sizes or just come to the conclusion that MSD is my size. And that's the plan for deciding what size to stick with >.<

6. Hi,
      The sculpt I like the most is in 45cm, I'm going to layaway, but before I commit, I'm trying to find a 70cm I prefer. Its a matter of budget, I can more afford the 45 cm...but I want to play with the big kids here on DOA lol...

7. I jumped in feet first and just got a big ol' 72 cm because I'm not really into "cute" things. *_* And I have no plans of going smaller than 60 cm TBH. Also, big dolls make sewing soooo much easier!

8. This is bit tricky, since I have an SD head (without a body, oh body, where art thou~?) and I have a tiny (incomming, mind you)...I don't know what size suits me, not yet. I'm still new to this hobby, but I do like the appeal of SDs and some MSDs.

9. I had the opportunity to hold both an SD and MSD when I first got into the hobby, and I ended up buying my first doll, a MSD, off that person. I got rather attached to that size category after that, despite trying everything from SD to Pukipuki. I still want some SD and 70cm dolls, but only very specific ones. Could never get into tinies at all though.

10. I always go for MSDs. In the beginning I liked the idea of SDs, but in some way I ended up buying a MSD instead and ever since I've felt like it was the perfect size for me. Not too big and not too small. I few months ago I did find an SD doll I really wanted, but my budget wouldn't let me buy her and today I wonder if it would have been a good idea. I've got nowhere to store SD dolls.

11. I can't decide size to save my life. But if I think about it from a monetary standpoint, tinies seem to be more my thing, despite my current love of a few SD sculpts. And tinies are just SO ADORABLE I CAN'T EVEN--

12. I can never choose just one size, I don't really worry too much about doll sizes clashing if they're not in the same story.

13. ^ Getting the right sizes for the sake of a story is so hard. It took me forever to decide on a Minifee Rheia for Tsukasa once I'd decided a Dollmore Malli would be perfect for Mia.
      Don't forget, you have that 'One FL in every size' goal to work on though!

14. My friend had dolls in several sizes and so before I bought mine, I spent a lot of time with her dolls and I discovered that while an SD might be pretty, they're just too big and bulky for me. I dislike the weight of them so MSD it was when it came time to buy my own. I do own two SDs but they'll never travel or really leave the house. They're more for display. My MSDs are my true love.

15. I always want large one. I have three 70+ dolls at home. It actually depends on the face, lots 1/3 doll can use 70+ body. But the things is that 70+ doll is hard to carry, if you go to doll meeting frequently, its gonna be much heavier than other size. That is why I decided to have one 1/6 doll. I always carry my 1/6 doll to the meeting. She is cute and I can put her in my bag all the time.

16. I decide not on scale, but the character's height and age. (Eg Toddlers to preschoolers for Yo-SD, 17 and up for SD17 or SDGou.)

17. I'm for MSDs 110%. It's not just the height or price, but I truly do love mostly all the sculpts that come with MSD dolls. I've perused SD dolls, and admit that they are very attractive, but I just haven't found one that I like yet I guess.

18. I started with a Dolfie Dream 2, because I liked her figure and was into anime- and thought about getting a different head at the time. I eventually got an MSD Ken, as my first resin doll, to see if I could work with resin on my own and I loved him. Because of size constraints I went for more MSDs for a while, and then moved up to getting a couple SDs when I had more space options. Later I sold most of my dolls and just kept the ones I really wanted. I now have two Sds, and one MSD, because I like the molds. It doesn't have much to do with the size, really. SDs are more huggable, though!

19. I agree with this a lot when it comes to the Luts/Fairyland dolls. I love my MNF Shiwoo, but I don't like the SD version of the sculpt. They just get more awesome as they get smaller. I like the LittleFee dolls mobility more than any of the larger dolls, too.

20. I love yosd head size but I wish there were more dolls with mature bodies like SQ-lab KSG-L... MSD feels too big and YOSD sometimes feels too small *_*