1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How did you drop the bomb on your parents / loved ones?

Mar 31, 2010

1. This just happened today *looks at watch* 3hrs ago.

*Mum walks into my room*
      Me: Hey mum
      Mum: What is that?
      Me: Eh, a dollfie? Something I just bought.
      Mum: O.o ...ehhhh she is pretty.....*thinks* Aren't you scared of it?
      Me: ...Mummm. if I was I won't have bought it no?
      Mum: True....just don't tell me the price, I'm sure I'll faint.
      Me: ...wasn't even going to consider telling you. >.>

yeah. Me and my mum. real chummy. XD

2. I never really had dolls as a kid as I was such a tomboy, so I suppose people were rather surprised I started compensating in adult age. Anyway, it has been a gradual road from vinyl fashion dolls to resin BJD, so there hasn't been such a bomb yet - althought the first time I told them I had spend 500euros to a doll they were rather flabberghasted and my spouse still doesn't quite understand why I need more and more dolls. ;p

3. Well 3 years ago, i told my mom about the doll that I really want. I showed her DOC Petsha. She really liked it but the price really bothered her. She said that I shouldn't buy such things because they are just dolls and they're not necessary to my everyday living. It's quite true but I do really want one. And then 2 years ago, i told her that if she can get me a doll as a graduation gift. She just quietly agreed but there will be just a maximum price for the doll that I want. I had saved up some extra money for doll and we've ordered him last April. I'm currently waiting for him :D and i've been tracking him ever since yesterday. He has finally arrived in our country but he's stuck on the office of exchange.

Btw, My dad doesn't know anything about BJDs since he doesn't like to spend too much on just one thing. I don't plan to tell him. If he will ever find out about my BJD, he will surely kill me and he will lecture me non-stop. I can still remember when I told him that I want to join a study group to Japan. He said that it's only for people who have so much money to spend and throw away :(

4. My sister bought her bjd first and my mom has no problems with stuff my sister does. I think she was fine with it and just said "oookkkk...whateverrrrr. You're strange." But, if I had been the first one to buy a bjd, she probably would have been annoyed. :S

5. I started getting into my dolls a year before I found a good home for my two horses, so my family was very supportive of the doll purchasing. I guess they figured, "Hey! No more wallet eating horses!"...boy were they wrong. xD I also live in a very open-minded family so my finances are my own, they don't meddle in my business and we're very open with everything. If they can swallow me being gay they can swallow me spending nearly $1000 on a doll. ;3 My mom also finds ways to help me add to my IH Jessica fund which is cool. She even said I should get the mobility joints, which is like $60 more, cause Jessica will pose better. My mom rocks.

Now my girlfriend on the other hand would rather spend our...no my money on things like cars, 4-wheelers, campers and stuff like that, but she never has been against me getting a doll. She just can't get over me buying a doll instead of fixing up my truck. There are just some priorities in my life that are more important. My truck has no heat or AC...but that pair of acid wash jeans for $30 on ebay would look awesome on my Micah! xD

6. My mom knows coz I used her cc but my money. But my dad doesn't XD The next they, new years eve. There was a small reunion and so we went to some places. I brought my Miyoubi along. When it was just I and my father at the car her asked me "How much is that thing?" I just smiled and he frowned

7. Me (when I ordered my first one): I bought an expensive doll on the interbutts and plan on buying more
      Mom: Ooh, they're pretty... $400!?
      Me: Yup
      Mom: Well, it's your money

Dad (when my first one arrived): What's that for?
      Me: To collect
      Dad: Oh, how much was it?
      Mom: You don't wanna know!
      Dad loses interest
      Mom: How'd I do?

8. I just showed my mom some pictures and she naturally wanted to research and find out more about them(Actually now that I think about it..she may know more about their history than even me). So she's pretty supportive, and she understands the price, and it's okay with it because I plan to pay for the dolls myself. However, my dad had a much more..interesting reaction--1st of all he can't tell the difference between genders at all, and didn't want to believe that the one I want is actually a guy; then he said they were really creepy looking (I think he's watched Chucky too many times >.>) and said it could sleep in the garage (jokingly...I think), and he's still kind of in denial that I actually want one...but too bad for him :D

9. Well, I did't - I'm a parent, and grandma LOL :D

10. Me: "So I found these gorgeous dolls on line called Asian blah blah blah made out of resin blah blah blah..."
      Mom: "Oh wow, they're gorgeous! How much are they?
      Me: I love you mom. :D
      Mom: *looks at price* HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

She sighs at their prices all the time and makes sure when she tells people about them she says "her very EXPENSIVE Asian dolls", but I think she likes them now too. ;)

11. It drives me crazy to see that so many have problems with the parent-unit. Honestly, I had to bribe my mum and bro (because they are incredibly selfish) then get my first dolls secretly.
      They flipped got pissed off and shouted out a few things that even now they refuse to apologize over. What can I say my parent (and bro) are bigger babies than I am. Yes, I pay all my obligations but it's never enough for them. *sweats*

12. I think my parents were a little weirded out when I mentioned my interest in these, but they are cool with it now. :) I've been able to make friends through the hobby and be creative so it's a hobby they like. :D

I also just told my boyfriend that I collect dollfies. He wasn't weirded out, but curious and even started looking them up online to get an idea of what I was talking about. He joked that he'll tease me about it, which I fully expect him to since we like poking fun at each others little hobbies, but he collects figurines so he really has no room to talk. :P

13. My mom's extremely superstitious and my dad doesn't really care what I buy as long as I'm happy, BUT he sides with my mom in order to keep her happy as well. *sigh* >_<;;; I bought a doll after trying to convince my parents for a long time back in my first year of high school. Then, after some misfortunes, my mom deemed the doll to carry some sort of spirit, so she pretty much canned it (nope, I didn't have a chance to sell her body and head when her head went off to a faceup artist-- had to give it all up for free). The cost itself would not have bothered either of my parents; HOWEVER, the fact that I'm spending it on a doll is just insane and incomprehensible to them. ;-;

As for "dropping the bomb," I negotiated the first time and the second time I got dolls, but everything got blown away to smithereens because of a few misfortunes in my life (C'mon, it was college application time. Bad news was just LURKING around the corner for me!). I'm thinking about how to drop the bomb on my mom if and when she discovers that I bought myself a 66cm boy just a day ago... Ah well, shouldn't be AS bad anymore, seeing as I'm going off to college in the Fall. :)

14. In all honesty, I only read about the first five posts, and not all five pages, but I have a slight comment to say about the first two rather snarky comments about ''dropping the bomb''

(First off, I don't presently own a doll, though I am saving and planning on buying one within this year. I deserve it, damn it)

I am an adult (ish, twenty-one) and I will be spending my own money on my doll, when I get him. I live at home with my mom, and judging from a few comments from the first post, so does the OP. Spending five hundred dollars (more or less) for what essentially is going to boil down to an oversized barbie to an outsider is going to seem insane.

I definitely understand the concern about announcing price if it comes up.

As for advice, I can't say what to do, or how people will react, but I'd suggest just showing off your doll and praying like hell that no one who might overreact asks about the price.

15. my parents still dont know the real price of my dolls. i think one was $300 another closer to $400 and one for $100. they still think that the expensive ones were only $100 and the small one was around $50. I will never tell them lol XD

16. Living alone definitely has its perks. :P I'm sure it will come up eventually, but if it does, I'm lucky enough that my mom will assume the cost is comparable with what I've spent on previous dolls ($100-300, with a few being cheaper and a few being more expensive). Luckily, the fact that dolls don't bark, don't shed, and don't require expensive agility classes will probably overcome any annoyance. Especially if I go with an MSD-sized doll, which will frankly not be much larger than the previous dolls I've had.

17. Well I never actually dropped any bombs when ordering my 4 dolls... My mom always found out while checking my account (=3=)
      With my first doll she was a bit mad, and thought it was a waste of money, but I was not one of those teens - I was 17 when I got my first doll - that go and use all my money on alchohol like normal teens did my age. And after seeing the actual thing, she actually ended up always beeing the first to tell family and friends about them... but still she always complained when I bought a new one, but it's my money, and there's a lot of other hobbies that is just as or more expensive, so I always tell my parents to stop nagging.
      But I think I have to wait to add to the amount before I move out from home... I have 6 other than the current 4 in plans...

18. The moment I found out about BJD's, I showed my mother images, and she thought they were quite beautiful.
      I didn't understate the prices at all, and I told her I would try my best to save up my own money for the doll.
      She didn't like the idea at first, but I showed her some more of them, how customizable they are, and how Its a hobby not just a pretty item to buy and have sit on the shelf.
      Also how some people can make money by sewing clothing, faceups, mods, ect.
      Once I told her more about the hobby, she became very supportive of it.
      And she's now even helping me save for my doll.
      She's even been helping me sew some clothes I've been working on for my friend and her SD.

Haha, when I spend too much money on junk food, clothes, ect, she always tells me "You wont get your doll that way!"
      Now everyone in my family knows about them, all my friends too.

19. Hadley, in the end, my mother kind of reacted the same way!

I've had a rough year, and I asked my mother if she agreed that I deserved a reward for surviving it (literally;; I got cancer and almost quit chemo) and she said yes. I said that I'd like to buy myself a doll. It never occurred to me to lie about the price (At the time I was really only interested in MSDs, although now I think my next-next doll will be SD sized) although I probably should have. xD

Even though it is my money I am spending, there are always ''better'' things to spend it on, she thinks, and honestly, I agree. Yes, I should be saving for if something bad happens and I'm off work again for six months. But to have something that makes me happy just to LOOK at and to hold... It's worth it in the end.

Today, my doll arrived, and the big brown box was sitting in the living room all day. Finally, my mom goes, ''So, what did you get? Your doll?'' and I was like ''... Yeah ... Want to see her?'' and she was like ''Yeah~'' in kind of a duhhh tone xD She reacted much better than I was expecting. I took off my doll's wig and head cap, and showed her that I could change her hair and her eyes. My mom said that she didn't really care about the way the joints look when the knees are bent, but that's something you get used to.

I told her I was thinking about changing my doll to blond, and she said ''No, I like the purple''

My mom knows how to sew, so I plan on showing her some simple shorts and asking if she'll try to make them for me xD

20. Since I always used to buy pullips asking my parents was going to be pretty easy, or so I thought. The only reason I even told them about i was because that I didn't have anyway of getting one without my parents paypal. I was overly nice so they obviously knew that I wanted something. When they heard the price my mom went crazy but she knew that I wasn't going to just forget about a bjd. She said yes after 4 days thanks to my dad. GO DAD!