1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How did you first find out about BJDs?

Apr 25, 2011

1. I was looking for something that had to do with another doll at one point in high school, and found them. I thought they were interesting but saw the price so never did research. A few years later near the end of college I started actively looking for them again, and then finally managed to get one once I really got in to a research kick.

2. Believe it or not, my teen daughter introduce them to me, I fell in love while she lost interest in them.

3. Years and years ago I saw my first BJD in an issue of Barbie Bazaar. It was an ad for Volks. It was love at first sight. I checked out the website and even though it wasn't in English, it didn't matter as the pictures of beautiful dolls drew me in.

4. I first saw a bjd maybe three years ago cosplaying I don't remember which anime character, it looked interesting so I started researching. In the first searches at the time I found a website that sold wigs and I remember thinking "wow they're so pretty aaaaaand expensive..." I lost interest in them...
      Then about two months ago I saw somewhere (probably tumblr?) a doll cosplaying a Supernatural character, I didn't particularly like the doll itself but I started searching again, I foun a doll I absolutely loved and bought him on a whim xD

5. I don't really remember where I discovered them, but I know I got curious and started looking them up myself, and instantly fell in love. :D

6. This one's easy - I first found Dollfie Dream, Volks, and different kinds of dolls they had from reading Danny Choo's blog a few years back. I wondered what his gigantic anime figures were... nope, not figures, BJDs! And they really were that big; it wasn't a trick of perspective.

7. I was into Pullips for awhile, and on Pullipstyle.com there is a section for Ringdolls. I was curious, but not really interested. Then I saw pictures on dA, which I thought were creepy. Someone had a sleeping head and an OE head, but I couldn't figure out for the life of me how it's eyes closed (since I didn't know that at the time). Then I ran across Souldoll's website, and I think that's when I started to see how beautiful they were.

8. THIS!! Exactly the same story for me LOL :fangirl:

9. Coworker (who is now a very close friend) introduced me to them.
      She had talked about them and honestly I was skeptical at first and thought it was ridiculous for someone our age to still be collecting dolls but then I finally started seeing hers in person and all the clothing for them and photographs (I was so terrified to even touch them at first) and started falling in love and finally had to have one of my own.
      First one I ever saw in person was a bluefairy Tommy and he was such a cutie. =]

10. A friend of mine collected them, but I was a bit sceptical at first. They are so expensive and the ones I saw at her place didn't really do it for me. But then I saw an ID Cookie at a doll fair and I was completely sold. I couldn't think of anything but her that day and in the end I empied our creditcard to take her home. My hubbie wasn't too happy about that ;-)
      That was at the end of Octobre 2010 and I have 7 dolls now, with no.'s 8, 9 and 10 on the way (and saving for a body for my floating kitty head and for no. 11, or 12 if the kitty comes first). So I'm a complete addict now!

11. First time I ever saw them, I happened to be quite active on a photography site and stumbled upon some great photoshoots that, for quite some time I assumed had been people; just because of how good the photos were. Then out of curiosity one day, I saved a few to look at them bigger and noticed something "wasn't right." Well, from there it only sparked interest then in the idea of using something lifelike for photoshoots that I otherwise couldn't get people to do (mainly because of scheduling) - lighting, etc.
      Those memories still haven't disappeared and in fact two BJD's in particular from that very person then played a rather important sentimental role in my life; it then caused my determination to pursue acquiring my own. Go figure; why must sculpts be discontinued. Nevertheless, it's drive, desire, and ultimately determination. Still perhaps I don't own but there's a few in particular my mind is set on; if nothing else at least the same sculpt as the main one photographed years ago. To find the head, I'll deal with the yellowing difference to later find a body but the head is what really made the character.

12. One of my friends introduced me to them at the end of middle school/towards the beginning of high school [Probably around 2005 for me], and they were Volks, I thought they were beautiful, but then found out how much they cost and lost all hope. ;O;

Then in 2007 I went to a local convention and they have a yearly tea party, that year it was open to the public and I went and fell in love, and became OBSESSED, I then stumbled upon Bonhwa's Kim on DeviantArt, and I KNEW I was going to get one. A Breakaway was my dream doll since, and thought I obtained an 08 boy with a beautiful faceup, I'd still like to own a Vamp. 05 version of a CP Breakaway.

Later in 07 my grandmother purchased a DOD Kirill for me, shortly before Christmas. And not long after I got my first SD boy and then the real addiction started. <3

sorry for rambling. Long story short. A long time ago, then saw beautiful doll on DA, Joined DOA, Purchased first doll. <3

13. I first encounter them in an anime convention back in the late 2008. I admire the dolls so much and then only I know they're actually called the BJD. When I first check out the price, I was shocked because I suppose I'd never own an expensive doll:? Then in 2010, I started to own Pullip, Dal and a Byul. And recently, I've decided to have BJDs instead and I'm selling my Pullip and the rest. I really hope I can own my dream BJD real soon TT^TT

14. My best friend is really really into them and they just started to grow on me until I realized I really wanted one of my own. I am so glad I did. I just LOVE my BJDs now.

15. I first saw them on the Connichi, a anime and manga convention in Germany. Then a friend ask me to look for a wig for his BJD. This is when I finally found out, what BJDs are.

16. I how I fond out was I click on FB add, on the side, for MoC, and then I though these are pretty I want one XD

17. I've been collecting other dolls (vintage porcelain dolls and fashion dolls) for years and I think I saw my first BJD at a doll-meetup. And I've been in love ever since.

18. It's really interesting how people came across bjds. Hearing about the different ways is so neat. Hearing about it through the Sims is definitely one of the more unique ways I've heard about. haha.

I first "heard" about dolls in 2003 or 2004. My action figure toy crazy guy friend kept talking about these creepy dolls that he kept seeing girls at conventions carrying out. I'm pretty sure he was talking about pullips, but since I didn't see the dolls myself I can't really say. I was unfairly biased against them because of him and my stupid aversion to "girly" things back then. In 2005, I had an lj friend post a picture of Dream of Doll Shall in her full set outfit. This will be the same picture I hunt down every so often for years afterward just to look at. I didn't have the desire to own one though until jan 2011. I became obsessed with Wonder Woman (don't laugh. I will defend her to my death) and I was on the lookout for a fully posable action figure of hers that still looked fantastic. The most expensive, highly reviewed, best painted and sculpted WW action figure ran for $60 and was disappointing in terms of articulation. Immediately, I wanted a highly poseable something, WW or not. I remembered DoD Shall. I hunted down that picture down again and found the DoD website. It was official then. I wanted a doll. It took me 10 months of resisting before I bought my first one.

if this is off topic, too long, or not doll related enough, definitely let me know as I have difficulty compartmentalizing like that.

19. Thanks to yaoi lol I was part of the yaoi forum and someone made a thread titled 'yaoi dolls' xD many people posted their BJDs and someone posted DOD dolls.... I've been in love with BJDs since then :D

20. Time Magazine, believe it or not!

I saw a tiny little blurbish article about these new Japanese dolls. I remember looking at the picture and thinking, "I bet my best friend would really like one." I thought nothing more. That must've been in 1999 or 2000. I was in my early teens, I think. I got my first BJD around 10 years later, after falling head over heels with a Ringdoll Rebecca. And in case you were wondering, that same best friend does indeed think my dolls are pretty awesome...