1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How did you first get into Dolls?

Sep 7, 2009

1. My friend Lily introduced me to Blythe, and I started collecting those. Before my Blythes I'd never collected anything before. I now have six of those including one of the original vintage ones called a Kenner. SO that was all very exciting. Through Blythe, i ended up making a Flickr, and ended up with a lot of Flickr contacts and some of those people had these awesome dolls. (Bjds.) And I also listened to these Blythe Podcasts on my iPod which talked about BJD's. At first I thought they were too life-like for my taste. But now I am buying BJD's and not Blythe so much. I am getting Lily into BJD's, like she got me into Blythe. Hehe, so we do all our dolly stuff together. It's cool having a dolly friend who lives around the corner :)

2. I got into them on accident I was on google and they popped up and i immediately fell in love especially with dollfie dreams!

3. I think I may have saw some pictures of them on DA.. and decided to research them and immediately fell in love. It's been a while since then and I'm saving up for my first doll. xD

4. I was originally collecting Barbie dolls when I accidentally saw a Takara Jenny doll on ebay and fell in love with her cute anime-style face. Since then I've been collecting Takara Jenny dolls. Then one day, I don't remember how, saw a BlueFairy Pocket Fairy Yoko doll (1st edition) and had to have her!! By the time I saved up for her, 2nd Yoko came out and I got her, since then discovered more different BJDs! And now I can't quit! *_*

5. My friend and I were having a casual conversation about characters that we had dreamed up and she said, "Well, I have this hobby..." And everything took off from there. ;)

6. I actually came across pictures online of these dolls while looking up kimonos, I believe, many years ago. I believe sometime in middle school. But I had no idea what they were. Then one of my old friends gave me a magazine that had the dolls in them and had some tips (which I still have XD). But sadly I didn't know you could actually own these dolls yourself, I just thought they were antiques or something. It wasn't until last year, me and two of my friends were at Walmart and this woman and her daughter were in the fabric section like us with a large male and an MSD female. They were so beautiful and I fell instantly in love with them. That was then that I began to do more research on the dolls. And it took me a year to officially buy myself one. x3 Which I'm in my 5th week of waiting! WOO! I'm actually really happy that they brought those dolls to Walmart. I would have never made up my mind finally of getting a doll that I've admired so much on the internet and in the magazine.

7. I've just recently discovered them about a week ago while on gaiaonline. Some girl was like "OMG I have to have one!" so I decided to check them out, I immediately fell in love...im so obsessed now haha

8. It is funny how so many people have mentioned Anime expos and the like because I found bjds in a very similar way!

I was looking up cosplay, and for a while on the cosworkx.com page they had bjd clothes and I was like "wow these things are really cute!" I went to AX a few weeks later and saw them here and there and came across a meet at the expo and it just escalated from there.

But I may be a unique case because after deciding that I really liked bjds I waited a year till I got one, not because I didn’t have the money, but because I wanted to make sure I still wanted/was interested in bjds and it wasn't just a phase. And boy a phase it was not!! lol

9. I saw them on DeviantArt, lurked a bit, found out what they were, then googled them. Then went OMFG!! at the price, resolved to steer clear of them, and a year later had one. :XD:

10. How I first got into them's a pretty foggy memory for me, mainly because it was years ago, and I'm only now saving up for my first BJD. But it was no doubt probably from a photograph, then some research, and it took off from there. <3

11. Y'know I was thinking about this the other day... I remember seeing my first one on Ebay.. but what I was searching for to manage to find it astounds me (since before BJD's I was never a doll person..)

But as soon as I saw them I was awestruck, and from there, it all began <3

12. I first saw a bjd on Instagram, and being into art, I immidiately took an interest to them. I researched for a few months before actually looking into purchasing my first doll!

13. 5 years ago I was introduced to Pullip because I saw a Taeyang inspired in X Japan's hide and I really love him. After this I started to search informations about them and I found BJD

14. Oak ways saw them around conventions and knew about them, but I also knew they were pretty pricey and so I never asked my parents for one. A few months ago, someone on tumblr was running a mass order for a custom Solasdokk head, a character from s game called dragon age, and basically he's the best most heart breaking romance option in the game so I obviously had to have him lol.

So I'm now playing the waiting game for the head of ny first dolls and I'm super excited to get him!

15. I've been a doll fan since childhood, but I found BJDs on ebay. I had been in the Bratz and Barbie hobby, and looked for OOAK fashion dolls on ebay. After running out of interesting options, I started looking for "OOAK man" or "OOAK guy" and came across a Volks Neo Go Guy. Researching Volks lead me to resin BJDs.

16. I first ran across them on a Lolita blog that had a post talking about them, thought the ones the blogger had were cute but not my thing, and that was the end of that.
      ...Nope. I found Volks, and Mako, and I STILL want her, someday ;; So then I'd officially fallen in love, but I didn't have $400 extra to spend, so I started doing some research. I ran across a site with some basic advice, restringing and modding and the like, and they happened to have a list of BJD retailers.
      And that's how I found Luts...and Hansel...and I was going to graduate soon, so I told Mom that was my graduation present and ordered her. (I'm fortunate in that my mom is much better about this than most parents. We both collect Nendoroids, and she has an entire collection of Funkos, and half our Sailor Moon collection belongs to her.)
      My first doll still isn't home, but I'm so excited to 'meet' her, I feel like I'm going to burst before she arrives. (College is excellent at distracting me but now it's Labor Day weekend and I have nothing to do but refresh the site all day.)

17. I became aware of ball jointed dolls trough serendipity. At the time I was learning more about Lolita fashion and one particular image caught my attention because it had a picture of a girl in full Lolita costume holding a very large doll in her arms.

I was fascinated by the sheer size and slender physique which few, if any, western dolls have, so I had find out what kind of doll it was. The Internet was useful in giving me the information, but I was hesitant about the expensive cost, so I put off buying a doll for a whole decade while I learned as much as I culd! :whee:

18. I was into the whole asian culture thing, read manga, watched anime, created cosplays and went to a conversion back in 2006 where a friend and I saw these dolls being displayed. Looking at them we both instantly fell in love and after returning home we instantly started saving up money to buy our first dolls. From then on it is all history.

Since I started collecting dolls I haven't had much time to continue with cosplays, anime and manga which is a little sad, but I think the dolls are worth it, I really like all my dolls a lot.