1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How did you first get into Dolls?

Sep 7, 2009

1. I've always loved dolls, I still have many of my childhood ones and I was always draen to the more articulated models. I discovered BJDs through another doll interest when someone mentioned and Angel Region doll, got thoroughly confused by all the strange words on BJD sites I found, and then found a UK dollgroup where someone patiently explained all the terminology to me... then ordered my first BJD.

That was a few years ago now, and my idea that one BJD would be enough wasn't worth the time it took to think it.

Teddy

2. I'd been good friends with gryphonblade77 for a while. I was over at his apartment one day, when I saw his girlfriend of the times (Amb2730) Dollzone Shoyo. The artist in me was pretty instantly curious. Soon enough, she had a few others and a puki. And I got to play with them all, but I still wasn't totally convinced I'd ever buy one, even though I stole her Puki every chance I got, and played with her Shoyo every chance I got.

Then, she hosted a meet. I got to meet other DOAers, and see many other dolls. That's when it happened. I agreed to join their fairyland GO, and got myself my first doll, a Puki Pipi (whose been sold now U_U;).

That was a little over a year ago. I'm now the obsessive owner of four resin people.

For the record, my wallet totally hates those two now, even if I can't personally remember life without BJD's.

3. I saw my first Super dollfie when I was preparing my exam in university...I was researching around gothic lolita culture and then I saw someone carrying around a strange doll...when I found a site it was for japanese and in japan only...pages can't be translated and I ve tried to manage with the small japanese I know...to order or to understand why they sell only few kinds of dolls while the net was full of different types was almost impossible... as well as order it...
      after a few years I tried from ebay to get a Blythe...after that I find flickr, and I ve found a huge resource of doll's pics^^ looking and looking Volks site now accepts international orders too so I've ordered my first girl =^^=
      and after that I haven't stopped anymooooreeeee
      I'm definitely down the spiral...
      beware people!!!! ^O^

4. I first found out what a BJD was when I was first into Rozen Maiden. To be honest though, I had thought the Volks RM dolls were kind of creepy (buuut now I love them), so I didn't really pay much attention as I thought that those were the only kind you could get. However, once I got into Pullips, I rediscovered BJDs as other Pullip collectors had those as well. It took me a while to really get into them though, but Otafest 2009 really kind of catalysed the whole thing, as I saw a girl with two BJDs on her lap and my first reaction was "DO WANT". Took me a while to actually find what I wanted though. XD;

5. About one and a half years ago,one of my netfriend got into bjd.After that, she always sent me a lot of photos of her doll.When I was seeing those pics,I always thought the doll was beautiful and grace.Than, about after half a year,I got my lovely doll.

6. I go to various conventions a lot so I saw a few people with them and thought they were so cool and wished to have one. :3 But too expensive! But then Wingedrivers got a bunch of dolls and pulled me around (willingly!!) with her to doll meets and money became unimportant and resistance became futile. XD

7. I have to blame dannychoo for introducing me to the DD. Before then I had always thought dolls were creepy.

8. Hmm, I got into BJDs about five years ago (something like that) - but I actually heard about them about 8 years ago when my friend in Seattle bought one - but I heard the price and was like NO WAY!.

Then a few years later, I really got into them, I thought I would get one but never did because I could never save up enough money.

Then, this past year, two of my friends were at an anime con and bought their dolls - and I've been playing with my roommate's doll since we started living together and knew I had to get one.

Luckily, my first darling will be here in just over a week!

9. About two years ago my friend pinkpoogleh got her boy Kano and at first I wanted nothing to do with him. I found him creepy actualy but he's since grown on me and then our other friend got her boy and it just kind of spireled from there. one by one my friends got them soon I was surronded and the more time I spent with their's the more I wanted one for myself. And now I'm on here and have my own girl on the way.

10. I actually got into BJD's at Burger King ((not kidding))

One of my old friends had came in with her friend and they were both toting these HUGE dolls and i HAD to know what they were and where i could find them. That was i'd say about 3 or 4 years ago and i've been in love with them ever since. i now have one little girl at home and hopefully more on the way :fangirl:

11. Well i was on Deviantart one day like a year ago and i saw this picture of three dolls doing something...(i forgot) and i thought that they were just like human sized mannaquins, that were very expensive. But then a couple weeks later i was watching something on youtube about the dolls, and then i just wanted one. soooo i saved up and got one! ^^

12. It was all my mom's doing. She discovered them on ebay about 5 years ago. She kept telling me about them and I thought she was being silly.

When I came to visit her, she showed me her collection. She had won a Soah that she planned on wiping off the face. I told her I really liked the face. So, she gave me her. I've collected them since then.

I still have Soah and I think she is happy to be a part of the gang.

13. I first got into dolls when I saw one at Kumoricon in Portland. At the time I didn't think much of it but when I got home I noticed them all over deviantart and soon found myself wanting one very badly. A week later I had bought my first boy and I couldn't have been more pleased with him.

14. Alright, my turn - though my story is not as original as I thought ... I have never been much into dolls, didn't even like them as a baby. My mom said I always threw them as far away as I could. Didn't even get much into Barbie. (I had more fun designing her home while my sister tied hers up with a jumprope so she could hang her from the front tree *ahem* ;)
      Anyway, I am very much into clay and I've tried several times to make those beautiful OOAK faeries you see but could never get the face to look as I wanted and I didn't have the patience to work on an entire body made of clay. I often look at other people's faeries on Deviant Art though and one day ... I saw the most beautifully carved face ever. She looked JUST like one of my characters - need I say more ? Did tons of research, tried for 3 months to join DOA (the registration was down) but here I am and my first girl is under the tree waiting for me to open her up.

15. The first time I saw a photograph of BJDs was whenever I was clicking through the random deviant on deviantART and suddenly stumbled across Lulu. Trystan's eyes caught my attention and I had to do a double-take to realize it wasn't a real person. I started looking through all her photography, then started talking to her, and I've been hooked since. Especially once I saw Raffles and Esme. :)

16. I'm not sure if it was 2 or 4 years ago when I first came across BJDs, I was reading this Japanese magazine and that's how I discovered them, after reading about em in a magazine I had to do further research and so that leads me to know. Some years down the road I'm paying off my first doll.

17. Short answer: Through the dolls of two DoA members (whom I got to know through other avenues), and just seeing BJDs consistently around for the last 5-or-so years.

Long answer: There are related threads elsewhere, I've already posted my story so I don't want to spam here. :XD:

18. I fisrt saw BJDs at my friends blog few years ago. I thought I am gonna die from how beautiful and real they are. I found the pages she took the pictures from - D.O.D and LUTS. I somehow expected they would be terribly expensive but still I started to plan how I will buy one. But when I counted how much it would really be I gave up. I had no chance to get so much money at that time.
      After that from time to time I stumbled across them on the DevArt or lurked at LUTS and D.O.D sites (I didn´t know there were so many companies as I mostly knew just about these two).
      Sometimes I saw pictures from conventions where people carried BJDs around and I was thinking they must be really cocky, showing off their expensive dolls -_-; yeah...I knew nothing back then.
      It wasn´t untill few years later when I had some cash from my part time job and was thinking what to buy. Then I somehow remembered BJDs and searched them on ebay. And I was hooked for good. I was totaly determined to have one of those. Luckily I found a doll that was in my price range and instock...and in a week I had my first boy...I was total n00b back then...-_-; Didn´t know most things about BJDs but then I found DoA and the more I learned about them the more I loved them. Now few months later I already have my second boy and planing my third doll aghXD

19. I had forgotten how I first got into the idea of BJDs until a few minutes ago when I read through this thread.
      I have always remembered stumbling across the Dream of Doll website and falling in love with E-an, but until now I had forgotten that I wanted to own a Suigintou doll (from rozen maiden).
      I remember how expensive they were, so had looked into perhaps customising one (wow I thought I'd long forgotten this, but its all coming back now) and so had ended up looking at Shall from DoD. However even with DoD being quite alot less than the Suigintou I had found, they were still out of my reach financially.
      Fast forward two and a half years, I've been a student for most of that time, trying to gradually save up for E-an, but as I entered my third year of university I started a work placement, suddenly I had the money. So then I started looking around, trying to decide when to get E-an, and looking around other site for potential outfits or companions, and then I found Volks Yoko on the US website. After being the subject of my desires for over 2 years E-an was replaced with Yoko, who was quite rapidly purchased, and having fallen in love with the Dollfie Dream line, I'm now torn between getting Yukino or my original E-an. The only real difference will be which comes first, as with each months pay, I'll be getting one or the other.
      My family berate me over the price of just one, but I don't plan on stopping anytime soon.
      I hope I didn't ramble too much, but it was a nice trip down memory lane for me.

20. After posting, my want for Suigintou has just been rekindled... I can see I will have to use another months wages already, that is If i can find one again.