1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How did you first get into Dolls?

Sep 7, 2009

1. eBay, short & sweet, for me! ;) (& I'm still "working on" actual OWNERSHIP, heh!)

Well, that's the BJD-type. I have been a dolly-fan from the crib on... :D

2. Quite like Ban Sidhe's story, I never really liked dolls. All except for Kokeshi dolls, but... I never really relate them to being an "actual" doll seeing as they're made of wood, completely unposeable, already completely painted, and have no arms or legs xD (but I still love them, though <3)

But about 4 or 5 years ago I was on a forum and someone posted a picture of a BJD from DOD, so I started browsing their site and was completely struck with awe at the.... amazingness :D (xD) Until I saw the price u__u; Still, I did a ton of research, mostly on and off the past few years.
      Then a friend of mine sent me a picture of a BJD she found on flickr- I think they were painted by a DoA member, actually o__O; Either way, it was love all over again and after some -minor- paypal complications, and a refresher on my past research, I'm waiting for my first boy <3

3. I got into dolls by seeing pretty photos on DeviantArt =D

I've been on there since 2004, and I do not know exactly when I first saw one and became interested.... but I know that the second time I found myself in front of a photo of one of them I just fell in love and decided that this hobby was made for me :D

Its been a little over a year since I joined here which is when I really decided I was ready to buy >w>

4. I found them though Sims 2. I kept running into skins made to look like bjd with joints and all. Someone even made outfits based on Dollmore.

After searching for Dollmore, here I am. I don't play Sims anymore cos doll fund emptied my new computer fund...

5. I never really liked dolls as a child, but a friend introduced me to them a few weeks ago and I've been in love ever since. I'm hoping after Christmas I can get my first one. And the whole "I only need one doll" thing lasted about two weeks. Now I'm just making a list. ^^;

6. Lol like same with my mom. hi im new and still saving up for my first doll and every time i say hey mom come check this out i get a very stern "if it is about that creepy doll again i don't wanna hear about it" lol. any way about how i got into dolls. it all started when i was about 4 my parents got me a bitty baby from a.g. but eventually i moved up to the american girl dolls because the baby doll scene got old, however, slowly i became more prone to barbie but found her stiff arms and legs a pain so i googled jointed dolls and a sybarite poped up. my first thought was that the prices where unrealistic for a doll and their faces unattractive but i was curious and furtherd my search with the googling of BJD and i found lati, luts, peakswoods, and doll-zone. All of these dolls where beautiful and i decided i would have to have one but i was not going to drop 700 dollars on something i was not pleased with. I searched long and hard for at least 1/2 of a year and then i found it 'volks' it was like a window to another world and when i saw the dolfie dreams even my mom had to say they were cute. So now i am 225/418 to geting yukino and my dolly dream for a more sofisticated but cute posable doll is coming true =3 (i guess you could say i have always loved dolls but i do hope this hobby isn't as addicting as it sounds, i think my wallet will run away:sweat)

7. I got into dolls when I was very young, ever since my mother game me one that talked. But then I grew a fear of them after seeing parts of Dolly and Child's Play. Even though I did still like them, I was too paranoid to have them in my room without having them locked up. After I saw BJDs, though, I couldn't help but get over my fear and fall fully in love again ^^ Now I keep buying dolls randomly! Though I still can't have Chucky, porcelin, or rag dolls around.. they still paranoid me D: (Even though Chucky is cool now)

8. Through a "friend" on myspace. She had many Dollmore sculpts.

9. I first spotted one at a local convention here in Miami. It was a Volks Nono, I believe, dressed in sweet lolita. I was curious about her, but her owner was giving me the evil eye glare, so I didn't dare ask about her. That same year, my good friend Moony brought over her new girl, a Souldoll SoulLittle Metel, and I was hooked. I fell head over heels in love. Now, about three or four years later, I now own Moony's Metel, a second Metel, also purchased from Moony, a Roxydoll Lucy, Fantasy Doll Nina and Soom Euclase.

10. lol off topic but im in miami too =3

11. Why'd the girl glare at you? most BJD owners are more then happy to share their dolls with curious people. I know my friend pants her boy in Hot Topic cause some girl didn't believe that he was anatomicaly correct.

12. I guess it was inevitable considering how many anime cons I used to go to. That, Gothic Lolita and Visual Kei helped push me over into the doll zone. That was mainly because I wanted to style and mod a doll into a specific Japanese rock artist.

Also, having friends with similar interests who owned dolls helped too. :)

13. Hiritai's Hayden. I thought it was a person, and I fell in love with the dolls. I had seen one by mistake roaming the internet, thinking it was also a model, (it was a shiwoo) and I was floored by the price, unable to figure out why it was so expensive. Well now I have my own doll, and he was worth every cent.

14. one of my favourite doujinshika own blue fairy and put their pics on her website.i fell in love with them at the first sight.

15. My first time EVER seeing a bjd was this girl I took a babysitting class with had one. I didn't really think much of it though.

Than my best friend bought a luts hdf Pitta, last year we didn't really say anything about her, but this year she got me hooked. She showed me the luts site and I fell in love with SSDF Regen. Later i decided he was too tall (70cm) and looked at a bunch of MSD boy then decided I wanted a girl, eventually I feel completely and aboslutly in love with Crobidoll Yeon-ho.

16. I like doll photos and I was just browsing the internetz and BAM!!!!! WHAT IS THIS THING?

It was an Elfdoll. I spent the next few hours drooling all over the site and realized this was a kind of doll. A BJD! I immediately found Luts and really lost myself. I went to work the next day and presented my findings to a friend who loves Blythe. Well it was all downhill from there as we both started researching like mad.

A few months later I had my MiniFee. I swore never to buy a big doll. Didn't need one etc... Oh yea and I also thought I didn't get the Volks thang either. Yea...right. Looks like I get it now HUH? Looks like I it figured it alllllllllllllllllll out. I am at 4 dolls and planning on more next year. Two are Volks Limiteds and I would like to confess that Limiteds were also something I was sure I would never ever need or want. After all they seem so elitist right? Right? Don't they?????? Why on earth pay all that extra money? What kind of idiot would do that?

Denial much?

17. Same.^^ I saw some photos while browsing DevieArt a couple years ago, went "8D," and learned as much as I could about them immediately. That was just the beginning. ;x

18. I honestly wish I knew why, but that glare was so intense that she scared me off pretty good. A shame too, because her girl was gorgeous. I can only guess that she'd gotten some flak from other con goers, and thought that I might do the same. I'd be pretty hostile too if everyone that came up to me was pretty rude about such a gorgeous doll.

19. ah that's a shame

20. I'd first heard of ABJD's on a forum, but what really got me into BJDs was seeing the Enchanted Doll Alice in Wonderland. It's an off-topic doll here (it's made of porcelain), but finding those pictures heavily prompted me into the hobby. :)