1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How did your 2020 doll plans go?

Nov 17, 2020

?
  1. Yes, but I'm happy with how it turned out!

53.5%
  2. Yes, and I'm unhappy about it.

14.7%
  3. No, my plans did not change/I followed my 2020 doll plan

31.8%
    1. Nope nope nope, bought more than I should as usual. There have been too many new artist dolls that are just too gorgeous! I think I may get one or two more preorders as the year closes, if the artists release on time.

I am still slowly making things for my dolls though, this past month I have been into basic wigs a lot. I sewed some clothes and knitted some things.

I only did one faceup though... I feel bad about that, but I have the hardest time overcoming my fear of starting faceups!

2. I’m loving this thread, and I’m also pleased that the poll shows that most people are happy with how things turned out!

I’m in that camp too. My plans completely changed, but I’m glad they did. Circumstances of the year forced me to sell almost half my dolls, but I am fine with that - actually I’ve appreciated being made to look at them critically and make harsh decisions over which I really really want and which I just simply liked. I didn’t feel negative over most of them, but being made to prioritise made me boot out 9 or 10 dolls this year, no regrets. I think what I have left is what I want as my permanent collection, no new additions.

3. i had no plans to get dolls last year, i wasn't even here last year. now i have two, and plans for at least three more.

4. My 2020 plans went straight out the window come quarantine! But honestly, im happy about that! (not the quarantine part lol) my girls have been super happy and iv been spoiling them rotten, and even got a new dolly or two! (Or three hehe)

5. Oh my...the pandemic...way too much quarantine time spent at home this year! But I made it work for me, doll-wise. I started off my 2020 to-do list with a healthy number of projects needing to get done as always, and layaways for 3 dolls (to shell important characters). But with stay-at-home orders, I managed to complete that entire list by mid-year! So in June I made the decision to focus on completing my BJD collection once and for all, and made a brand new list of projects, and added 4 more dolls (including a grail)...and I’ve pretty much completed everything on that extensive list too! Really, the only thing left is finishing up my one final layaway by January 1st, and that’s about it. It’s been a very productive year for me. Plenty of face-ups, mods, displays, and sewing projects...and of course new dolls!:)

#25 PoeticSoul, Nov 18, 2020
      Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
    6. Aw, I certainly wouldn't call it weakness :hug: There's a super fine line between taking care of yourself and maybe accidentally buying "too much" here and there, so in hearing that you were an essential worker who ended up with so much going on, I am glad to hear you did nice things for yourself when you could.
      In times of great stress, keeping our creativity and joy alive is the most important thing for recreating new hope & moving forward.
      I hope you're taking care!! <3

7. Well in total whatever you're doing is working! Your dolls (profiles) are some of my absolute favorites :kitty1 So even if you've got plans you've flaked on, I'd say at a high level you've been totally killin' it with creating beautiful, artful, inspiring dolls!!

8. My plans didn't really get followed. I did get Baishan a better wig, and Rhiannon now has eyes I'm happy with, but that's about it. I was hoping to order an Atelier Momoni Kitty M if possible, and I completely missed the order period. I got a Bluefairy Pocket Fairy, and realized that with her my group of tiny kids might be complete.
      I had no intention of ordering an MSD this year, but Racoon Doll had a sale, and I ordered an Elf Erika.
      I did not manage to do any face-ups, but I did a fair amount of sewing clothes.

Due to the pandemic I was laid off, but fortunately for me someone else resigned and I was offered my part time job back less than a month later. So I feel financially secure enough to have just ordered an in-stock doll from a dealer. She'll be my first mini after 7 years of tinies!

#28 Leo Pheonix, Nov 18, 2020
      Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
    9. Its actually kind of a funny story--funny in a cool way. I have been secretly yearning for a resin BJD for, like, ever... but I'd pretty much resigned myself to settling for cheaper alternatives.

Then a perfect storm of circumstances occurred.

• I made friends with @ethlynn over on Instagram, and in our conversations she encouraged me to take the plunge. I was still hesitant because of the money issue, but she explained the benefits and we discussed things like secondhand purchases and layaway options.
      • During the height of the pandemic, I was basically given hazard pay (I work in the medical field as support staff). So I had a bit of extra money on hand.
      • So I started looking around, stumbled onto the Alice's Collections website, and began looking at sculpts. I scoured every one, chose a few candidates, showed them to @ethlynn, and she helped me choose a Doll-Legend Lu Ling. The final choice was mine, but she did help me narrow it down.
      • By the time I settled on Lu Ling and was ready to order, a Doll-Legend event had started and I ended up paying a lot less than I'd anticipated.
      It took six...long...months for her to arrive, but arrive she did, and in time for my birthday, too. She's unspeakably gorgeous, poses amazingly, and I couldn't be happier. She's almost the only good thing that happened in 2020 for me.

#29 Emby Quinn, Nov 18, 2020
      Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
    10. I'm so happy for you!! What a wonderful story!

11. Well, there are a lot of things I was meant to make and didn't...At the same time, I made several pairs of shorts for my DC Kid Amos, for my minifee and my Dollzone Gray, and this wasn't in the original plan.
      I was meant to knuckle down on BJD making...and didn't go far with it because of health reasons and not having the right tools.

My Littlefee Chiwoo Elf and my F60 boy as well as 4 heads were to be sold. This was an eye opener: 1 head sold quickly, the other heads are not getting any takers and I decided to put my Littlefee Shiwoo on the marketplace.
      It was really weird how it happened. I had so many troubles with my little elf and my F60 at the start of ownership that I assumed I hadn't bonded with them. Turned out, my F60 makes a great dad for my little elf, and a great friend to my Dollzone Gray. I would miss both of them if they left. I have rarely played with my Shiwoo these past few years. He was my first BJD and he was a great introduction to the hobby.

I was interested in making eyes, though now that everyone has the pair that fits them, I don't have the incentive to try.

I was thinking making props for my resin BJDs. On one hand, this hasn't happened yet, on the other hand, I finished a DIY balcony kit, that fits my non-resin 10cm BJD.

I was to buy NO BJD, new or old. Totally failed at it. I didn't buy any of the BJDs that I had on my unofficial list though. It had to be a newcomer, a Dollzone Zero Cyborg. And I am looking at Maskcat Lilias, wondering...an other girl? Sooo tempting...

#31 Lilla, Nov 18, 2020
      Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
    12. I'm a bit ambivalent about my plans changing. On one hand, yes, I bought several dolls I wasn't expecting to buy, unexpected Soom rereleasing Picro and Sammi, on top of finding several dolls for sale on the Marketplace, meant my collection has expanded, and I have happy fabric buying plans for when I can go buy fabric in person again. So that's a change that I'm happy with.

On the other hand, my goal for 2020 was to get some of my (very large, very nearly 100% blank) collection their faceups. But with COVID, and the disaster that is post office shipping right now.... that has not happened at all. So while I'm happy about the dolls I bought, I also have to admit to being very unhappy that the dolls I already had still don't have faceups. This was supposed to be my year for that, and to buy wigs and eyes and shoes.

#32 Layn, Nov 18, 2020
      Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
    13. Thank you SO much! You are so kind to say that! <3

14. I did almost everything I planned. Thanks for a lot of time at home)

15. So-so. I actually DID buy some clothes and got bodies for some floating heads, so that was good. But I 100% splurged on a Delf Mango I didn't intend to buy! LOL! And I am still short wigs, socks, and undies.

16. My plans changed completely because I had lost my Job due to the pandemic. I used to be an overworked, underpaid pastry Chef. However personally I was incredibly lucky because I got a new Chance and am going to uni and we have a System in Germany where you work 50% of the time and go to uni the other 50. And I earn even more than at my original Job.

My plans were to look for cheap bjd just so I had some and then buy expensive dolls later. But I moved in a better Apartment with lower rent and I dont Need a car as I can walk to work so now:

I finally bought three of my grail dolls
      -Harucasting Maji
      -Harucasting Vitiligo Joa
      -Maskcat astrid

and I couldn't be more grateful

17. Last year, I wasn't feeling very well and was planning to sell my home and find another. I usually end up buying a doll or two here and there as finances allow. I had hopes that moving and selling would have went a little faster so I could enjoy hobbies more, but all together things were delayed some months. That wasn't really due to any single particular reason, but everything has just moved a little slower than I had hoped. All together, I'm happy how my doll collection has grown. I recently ordered Leo from Dollshe, and he's only a sketch now, so maybe I will see him before then end of 2022. Anymore, I just hope for the best and try to plan for the worst and keep feeling optimistic that all the worst of it all has past. I miss seeing my friends more than anything, so much it's starting to be very painful.

I had hoped to sew for my dolls, that didn't happen. No one got a new face-up.

A couple more joined my collection, and I found some nice outfits for a few of them.

I've started to experiment to make some different items for them, so that's a good thing.

The surprise was probably from moving, and seeing the entirety of my collection together while moving, most of mine are off-topic, but, yeah..... I sure do have a lot of dolls.

18. I did not have solids plans, but I'm a fan of browsing, seeing if there are dolls that fit loose ideas of mine.... Then I found a Doll Chateau Mini in the mold/body I wanted at a good price, and I had enough money saved for her. Now the grand customizing begins.

19. I originally planned to focus more on my current dolls but as of typing this I have 4 ongoing layaways. I'm 90% sure I won't be getting any new dolls for a while but there's still that 10% chance. :sneaky

20. i do not really if this affect me with the dollshe order, but i ordered eyes and wigs from Rusia, and it was so long ago.... still waiting