1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How did your 2020 doll plans go?

Nov 17, 2020

?
  1. Yes, but I'm happy with how it turned out!

53.5%
  2. Yes, and I'm unhappy about it.

14.7%
  3. No, my plans did not change/I followed my 2020 doll plan

31.8%
    1. I had zero plans for dolls too, aside NOT BUYING new ones. And that was a failure, hehe. :doh
      But it's hard to be stuck at home and not ended on the web looking for missing stuff/heads/bodies for dolls!

I bought :
      • A entire new doll for my Oni crew
      • A head for a missing character in my Oni crew
      • two bodies for floating heads
      • a second head for my vampire lady
      And that is far enought! I'm happy with my new resin, and I bought it only because I've sold some of my dolls before.

2. I am new-ish to the bjd community. I always wanted one for as lomg as I could remember and early this year, decided this was the year to begin.

My plans were simple.
      • Buy a small full set doll, like Allen or Gina MYou doll.
      • Slowly build up a wardrobe.
      • Buy a practise head and learn to do my own face ups.
      • Maybe also buy some heads and buy bodies in 2021.
      What really happened was I went on a collecting heads spree:
      • Bought several head, both with face ups and without.
      • Bought a practise head that won't even arrive until 2021.
      • Layaway for a Loong Soul body.
      • Buying a full small doll for my birthday.
      The main reason for the change in plans was that because of Covid, a lot of people started selling their dolls, and all the dolls I had ever wanted were suddenly selling.
      I honestly haven't regretted panicking and buying them all.

3. I actually returned to the hobby in the midst of the pandemic and just had vague plans for how I was going to ease back into the hobby.

Original plans:
      • Practice face-ups, finish body-blushing for my YoSD doll.
      • Maybe consider getting 1 new doll to celebrate return to the hobby.
      • Organize all my doll clothes and sell the ones I don't use.

What ended up happening:
      • Did do one new face up. Didn't start at all for my poor YoSD doll. Decided that I need better brushes to do better face-ups and ended up purchasing another set of fine detail brushes... (Deep inside, I know the truth. It's not the tools, it's my lack of skills that's the issue. :lol:)
      • Ended up doubling my current collection. I have a pretty small doll family so it wasn't that hard to cross this number, but I didn't think I'd purchase so many right off the bat. Oops.
      • Forget organizing the current clothes; I purchased a bunch more for the dolls I'm waiting for. And since I was at it - also purchased more clothes for the dolls at home.
      One big reason I could afford to do all this was because all of my trip plans were cancelled by the pandemic. All the money I saved up for my travel plans ended up going to this hobby. Well, in all fairness, I did put a bunch of money aside specifically for the Volks Doll Point store and Mandarake in Japan, so some of the funds were going to end up being spent for dolls anyway. :XD:

4. I am in a very similar situation! When lockdown orders went through I decided I needed to make a decision about whether to sell or keep my Resin Soul Mei. I got her when I was a teenager and I always wanted to learn to sew and do face-ups but didn't have the support or the money to seriously pursue this.

This year, I said, either I devote time to learn how to do these things or I'm done. So, I started learning how to do the things! I haven't gotten as far as doing face-ups yet because I haven't set an aesthetic for my Mei doll. But I am slowly developing her style and trying new things.

I also ordered my first MNF and participated in the summer event which I had never done before. I'll be using the sleep head and the event head to practice my first face-ups. I just got the notification last night that they have shipped! So excited for them to arrive!

So that was about it for my 2020 plans...until...

I saw a 2ndhand Ringdoll for sale on IG and thought, I could give her a good home. So I put her on layaway. And then I got an MM Oscar Pak who had some defects that I also thought I could give a good home too. And lastly, Fairyland announced their discontinued dolls so I splurged and got two more w sleep heads for face-up practice.

So with the incoming of so many new dolls I'll be carrying a lot of my 2020 plans into 2021, that is, investing more time to learning and bringing my creative ideas to life.

5. My plans actually did not change! When the year started my plans were:

Get the proper Doll Family body for my Doll Family Xiao Xin head.
      Get a Dollzone body for my Yo-Carter head and then...
      Find a head to go on the Yo Resinsoul Bao body that I was using. (Settled on Dika Doll Aron)
      Do modifications on Resinsoul Gang, and return his body to him.
      Do Bust reduction on Bobobie Ophelia.
      Buy Mystic Kids Verdin ( I had my eyes on her.)
      Find a rabbit pet doll ... I got the Loong Soul Moon Rabbit
      Find one more male SD doll ... Mystic Kids Eli
      Find the perfect wig for Doll Family MX

...and finally get my first 70cm doll to see if I liked them, I went crazy and got three of them. :XD:

I ordered Ringdoll MoYu first... but the shipping was a nightmare.
      While I was waiting I got Resinsoul Dong, because he was at Junkie Spot.
      I liked them both so much I ordered Doll Leaves Asa and I just adore him! :love

I took care of all this fairly early on in the year, and I know I wont be able to buy as much next year. I haven't gotten a doll since I ordered Asa back in June or July. I am happy with what I have right now. I haven't been looking because other expenses are taking a priority for me right now. I am not sure what I really want to get for next year. It was great fun getting all my plans finished and my BJD goals complete!

I just can't decide what I want to do next year! :lol:

6. Yay!! I am so glad you found a way to make yourself "get back to it!"
      Super proud of you. That's not easy.
      :hug:

7. Thank you so much! It hasn't been easy and often very all over the place. But I am improving bit by bit which is very exciting! I hope your creative plans are going well too. :kitty2

8. Due to the lockdown and freeze on the postal system among many unforeseen disasters, many of my plans were impossible to accomplish this year.
      But I was able to hunt down a few clothing items that I had been looking for for a while and got some new clothes for dolls who are difficult to clothe so I guess it wasn't a total failure.
      The main thing that I'm upset to not have been able to accomplish this year was getting Yumeko another pair of shoes but that as well as the bodies for my floating heads are plans that will have to carry-over into 2021.

#68 Chibi_Rat, Dec 7, 2020
      Last edited: Dec 26, 2020
    9. I didn't get a single new body for any of my floating heads. In fact I bought 6 more floating heads.

10. My plans didn’t change a whole lot. I bought and acquired a new doll that I’d been wanting for awhile, and it was shipped to me within 2 months of ordering, which is pretty fast considering everything going on!

I finally bought a camera that can take good quality, high-res images, so I’ll finally get to take portraits of my dolls when I have the time (this Christmas holiday, I think).

I’m also almost finished building a dollhouse for my Lati Yellow. Just have to get the shingles on.

Now I’m just waiting for Latidoll to open up orders for their basics, which has been closed for nearly half a year now... :|

11. Rejoining the hobby mid-pandemic, I planned to:
      • work on my old dolls
      • buy a new doll
      • buy a bunch of crafting stuff
      Instead, I:
      • sort of worked on my old dolls
      • bought the head of the new doll
      • bought some of the crafting stuff

12. Actually - none of the above. My doll plans DID change, but not due to the pandemic. They changed because I finally could get the doll body I was looking for basically for a steal and as a full doll instead of just the body and also because a doll artist re-released one of her dolls this Halloween that I'd already wanted to get last Halloween but didn't have the money, back then. Other than that, I pretty much stuck with my doll plans of "no new dolls except those on my list". Got the two OT vinyl dolls on my list, one of the resin dolls and the head for another of the resin dolls on my list. Body pending - wanna order it for Christmas.

What DID change due to the pandemic is that, as it seems, I've managed to stumble into an entirely new hobby - action figures. I bought myself a really expensive (but also absolutely awesome) one going "Heck, it's a pandemic, I want something NICE!" and that kick-started me into getting several more (to be customized with clothes and other stuff into my vision of certain movie characters). Let's just say it's not entirely unlike the doll hobby in regards to prices and what you have to pay attention to (colour-matching of heads and bodies, ...). ;)

13. There were no plans for 2020.
      But a lot of people were welcomed home this year. Unbelievably.
      Some of those people are still stuck in postal hell.
      Did I mention postal hell?

14. I think I've figured out the reshells; Saga and Peregrine got reshelled (well, the latter I've picked the sculpt for but will have to wait for a preorder), April became extremely close to getting reshelled as well, but I realised that none of her shoes would fit the new doll, and most likely the millions of thights I sewed last year wouldn't either, so I considered it too much of a hassle and weirdly enough, quite soon was happy again with her old shell, and what would have been the new one no longer looked like her in my mind.

I started April's wig and got quite far, however I ran out of the mohair I'd dyed and wasn't able to get the same or even same enough color again, and I also liked the new color better so I kinda got stuck because I haven't been able to decide if I should just start the whole thing over or not. Also, I may have forgotten about that wig for err... half a year? :sweat I did try to dye some mohair into dark green too for Kane, but ended up with a gorgeus teal shade instead that I can't bring myself to dye more, even though I'm not sure if I'll ever have a teal haired character (at least for now I don't want to just change his hair color to be that rather than the dark green I've planned).

Redid April's faceup, but still not happy with it. :sigh I really shouldn't have wiped her first one a year or two ago, I think those brows would have looked fine with the changed hair color, but too late now.

Elf-ear and teeth mods for Kane... lol, didn't happen, and not happening. At first because I realised I don't have the skill nor enough will to force myself to learn to do those, but also because Perry's getting reshelled into a sculpt with human ears as well, and as long as the brothers match in that regard I don't really care. Also, I learned how to paint realistic enough teeth so I'm no longer bothered enough to try to make them 3D on Kane. Regarding his faceup, I think I tried to do one but ended up having trouble with the sealant again.

Did get faceups done on the 3 new dolls, yay!

Getting eyes... uh... not yay. :sweat But I have at least decided which specific ones to get for most, the biggest problem is trying to get around to figuring out the ideal sizes, irises included, and actually write that information down.

The centaur doll technically has an outfit... a single top that isn't even her style, that stays on her through the power of a pin because I still haven't sewn the snaps on. :lol: In my defense, I somewhat changed my mind on her style, and I don't really have much material suitable for what I decided to go for, and have so far chosen to use my money for other things.

No full outfits for new dolls, and now that I think about it, that almost finished top for the centaur might be the only doll cloth I've sewn this year!? :frownyblush:

No bodies for floating heads, but I guess it could be considered improvement that all the dolls I've bought have been full dolls, the only new floating head was an event gift.

Restringing and maintenance in general, nope, didn't really happen.

"Try to finish even more of the unfinished clothes" :abambi: Yep, no, didn't really sew doll stuff this year.

Overall kinda surprised how much I got done, considering not only have I been a bit burned out on BJDs every now and then for a couple of years now, but also this year I haven't had as much time for my hobbies as I usually would (not because of 'rona thankfully, but because, umm, happy things in personal life :blush).

15. So, going by my "to do" list from last year some things I managed, as some things I didn't. Going through the checklist:

-> finish sculpting and printing the few 3d props I need for my current project? NOPE. I was doing too much drawing in 2D this year, so I paused my 3D software subscriptions for the last few months

-> get American Doll cello & see what type of bjd would match it best? Yes! Looked much better with a fashion MSD than typical MSD, so might need to get an Iplehouse FID after all...

-> dye Wol's body to match her tawny skin tone? Yes! Not 100% match, but can work with blushing

-> mod & dye the resin armour for my knight project? Yes - dyed black & I'm currently adding a chrome layer to it

-> order the wigs I've been eyeing for ages? Yep! Still waiting though for them to be finished

-> finally get on with sewing for my finalized concepts? Some of it, yes - got some sewing done, some patterns prepared and some fabric chosen...

Overall, not too bad compared to my past years.

In terms of shopping... I didn't plan to order anything new this year, but I ended up with ordering:

• 2nd hand Nelen (Soom) from the Marketplace
      • Feeple65 Ingrid (will be delivered on Tuesday)
      • Luts body for my Swinte head
      • started layaway for Souldoll tan Hari
      • started layaway for DC Arnold.
      My only excuse is that they were all limited... :sweat

The pandemic did not change my plans that much (other than being very concerned about my friends and families safety of course) - maybe I had to buy more sewing items online instead of in a store. Plus I decided not to do any photoshoots outside, as the parks I wanted to go to were closed...

16. When this year (2020) started I planned it out as efficient as I can, Living as an expatriate earlier this year means that I will be able to order but won't see them until I repatriated back to home country around September.

Plan was

1. Buy all the dolls I wanted so badly before repatriation. In my head this is the only chance I got so I should do it (forex thing) and I will be all relaxed having all the dolls I wanted bought and just waiting for them to come home. Dolls are the following
      • Dollshe - this a dream for me specially the L4 Body on 70cm models oh my goodness I just have to get him specially he is in constant sale. I of course knows about the waiting time but heck I turn a blind eye and just got him.
      • Iplehouse - I love their face sculpts seriously and I adore how beautiful they are. Another dream for me to get him so I just snatch him but as soon as my order went through and paid fully I had some regrets as I am leaning towards HID than of EID. Contacted iplehouse but they told me its too late to change order so... I just went with it.
      • Granado - Another of those beautiful guys that I adore and seriously salivating on (excuse my language). I grab him right there without even thinking if I investment are right.
      • Impldoll - This babe is what I wanted next after dollshe. Actually both of them is what I am excited for due to their bodies extreme jointing capabilities plus this babe is extremely gorgeous.
      • DFH - this is just a body tho for a head (Ninodoll) I purchased earlier, I was thinking I have to have him with jointed hands and jointed ding ding tho I am afraid with how it will fair with the skin tone and the ratio of the head to body, I still ended up buying him.
      2. Buy a local doll back home so when I repatriated I got a doll on hand. Dolls are the following
      • 2D Doll - I am itching for an anime and a second girl doll so I ended up looking at the second hand market of a local BJD group and was able to get her.
      • Dika Doll - To be honest I always go for SD but I have to test the waters for YOSD as well. I think YOSD are cute and I want a "quick fix" as I call it that I have to held a YOSD see it in my own eyes and try to see if I will be in-love with the scale. Easiest to do it is just buy second hand.
      3. Buy those limited dolls that I am so crazy about but unfortunately I wasn't able to see anything on sale and/or the seller backed out to whatever reason I could not comprehend
      • Loongsoul Gongong
      • Fairyline 60 Scarlet
      • Souldoll Chiron (centaur)
      • IOS Infernale

What happened

1. Most of them arrived when I finally repatriated so my required quarantine periods are less horrible. Unfortunately Dollshe and Impldoll didn't arrived yet (no status). The following is my personal opinion and experiences on the dolls I received (Yours might be different than mine)
      • Iplehouse - He is gorgeous like ugh so handsome even without face up. he is very heavy and thick. He also smell good but my only dilemma is limited posing. I don't know, I just have this love hate relationship with his body.
      • Granado - Very very beautiful doll, Very handsome, Posing is incredible and very thick. There is one problem tho, they had a mistake with the body which made me nuts. They sent me an incorrect body.
      • DFH - the doll body is really good to be honest like everything works as it should be. Actually, I ignored the color difference as it is my fault but sometimes the ratio of the head (Ninodoll) and body bothers me a lot. He looks like a giraffe on that body.
      2. The locally purchased dolls are beautiful 100% it just didn't well received by me with the reasons (1) not SD scale. 2D DOll is SD but too short for my taste (2) they are not realistic, face up and sculpt wise.

The result

I just sold all of them at half the price of it's original pricing. The first head (Ninodoll) I kept him and bought him another body (AS Doll) and is still with the face up artist to do color matching and realistic face up. The Dollshe and Impldoll tho, even I didn't receive them yet and haven't physically held them, I decided to still gonna keep them as I really like their face sculpt and the super jointed bodies.

I am still considering to get an Iplehouse but this time HID and I know I will hate the pose-ability but at least he is on the body I wanted and Granado, he is for me, the epitome of perfection but I am praying he will come with the correct body.

The limited dolls are still on my list I want them on my display no matter if I will hate their bodies or not. They are a must have.

What lesson I learned?

I learned that I spent too much and ended up losing most of the money spent (ROI cries and left earth) and before buying another one, I should wait for the previous orders to arrive first. In that way, I can save money and will give me ample time to research on what I really wanted. This was actually a rule I made myself for 2021. Definitely I wasn't happy with what happen but yeah live and learn.

Note

I actually bought dolls in the early months 2020 that I didn't put in here (1) Ninodoll head (I indicated it up there) (2) Distant Memory head (2nd hand) (3) Ringdoll (body is 2nd hand and head is brand new). Guess what, Ninodoll was the only one left.

#76 BoyToy, Dec 30, 2020
      Last edited: Dec 31, 2020
    17. I actually dug through the original thread to find what my plans were. To date I did make an out fit of underwear, pants and a top but the top fell apart. Then I bought a bunch of clothes in the wrong size and technically a gift doll for my mum. I'm still browsing dolls though!

18. Original plans?
      • Sell the oldest doll in my collection (the one that got me into the hobby).
      • Sell the dolls that no longer inspire me.
      • Reshell the characters I want to keep in doll form
      • 'Sit tight on affording layaways again', after my Iplehouse FID Bichun arrived, so I can afford a new car should I need one in 2021.
      How's it gone?
      • Old boy is still chilling in an awkward unloved place in my room.
      • Uninspiring sculpts are still sitting on shelves, having only recently undergone a basic outfit change.
      • Characters I want as dolls are still in the shells I had them in at the beginning of the year.
      • In the last few days of 2020, I started a new layaway. The only one of the year, besides my Iplehouse FID Bichun, so there's that!
      Here's to hoping I can do slightly better on most of these next year. :sweat

19. Did pretty good as the year winds down.
      Original plans:
      Buy bodies for floating heads
      Buy only dolls from my want list

What happened:
      Made a lot of progress on getting bodies for floating heads:D
      Unfortunately added a few more floating heads*_*
      Purchased mostly dolls from my want list, was able to find 2 this last month of the year:thumbup

20. Yep, I ended up getting a lot less done than I intended. Not sure if it was the pandemic so much as my own laziness. Well, the pandemic happening prevented me from mailing out a color sample to Resinsoul to get a color-matched body for my Argonautica Zet head, which I wanted to be a huge priority. So now it's going on 2 years that the poor boy has been without a body. :( I will definitely make getting his body a high priority for this year.

In the end, I only managed to complete one doll, and that was fairly early in the year. I was going to get faceups for Dollclans Phython and DF-A Karl, but those never ended up materializing so add those to my 2021 plans too.

I did accomplish some things, though none of it really planned. Seems like there were a lot of limited releases of clothes/accessories/doll heads and secondhand sales that caught my attention, so I did end up getting a decent amount of stuff. I got Karl a body, at least. And I discovered the Angell-Studio body I intended for my Phython matches my Ringdoll Wolf a lot better, so now Phython still needs a body. In fact, I finally decided on a character for Wolf - he's going to the knight in shining armor I've always wanted. Helps that I got my hands on some Luts armor, I guess that's a big thing. So it seems I ended up working a fair amount on a doll I hadn't expected at all, though he still needs a faceup/armor blushing/clothes.