1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you deal with... time limited preoders?

Feb 8, 2017

1. I typically end up selling one of my older, less liked dolls or their bodies in order to fund the purchase if it’s a limited doll that I know I will definitely enjoy more than the one I’m selling.

2. I don't usually. I need to really like and want a doll before spending a lot of money on it (despite what it looks like lol), and often it's hard to tell the difference between OMG I LOVE THIS DOLL SO MUCH and OMG THIS DOLL IS LIMITED AND I MIGHT NOT GET IT so I'd prefer to wait or not get it at all. There are always exceptions to everything and I did buy a limited full set FL girl once. Literally the last day she was available, and I had to do a layaway. She was gorgeous, and I loved her...and then months later sold her off in parts because I didn't really care about her, I was just so worried about missing out I thought I needed her.

Same goes for most event dolls. Crazy enough, I happen to want one right now (Tempura kitty and Dollzone's time-limited bunny girl lol) but I'm waiting until close to the end of the event to decide because, because along with the event doll and the bunny girl, I also need a body for a head I have and a head I've been eyeing...so that's going to be a big order. Do I really need those things? I dunno. Which is why I'm waiting. And I have an entire Bunny Circus, so it's not like she's a rando doll I think I want. She actually fits with my collection.

But, the second-hand market is a fickle place these days, things don't sell as well as they did several years ago. There's no guarantee that a doll will sell if you decide you don't want it, and definitely no guarantee that you'll make up the money you spent, so buying is a little more risky then "just sell it if you don't want it" now. Of course there is also no guarantee that the limited doll you maybe like is going to show up in full second-hand either...certainly not for a good price. The one I sold off only turned up a couple times since she was sold and for insanely inflated prices.

I think rather than stressing over getting that doll now!!! it's better to remember that BJDs are a luxury item, not a necessity, and if you miss out on this doll, the one thing that we can be sure of is that another one will probably come along that you want maybe even more than the first. Maybe try to figure out what it is you think you love about that LE. The outfit? The faceup? The sculpt? The whole package? IF it really is the whole package, will it stay that way forever? Or will that fancy outfit go in a bag in a drawer (cough don't look at my fancy outfit drawer cough) never to be used again? because if that's the case, maybe waiting to see if you can grab just the head later on down the road or something. Unless of course you can afford the whole thing - in which case why stress, just buy! XD

3. I usually don't have that much money on daily basis to suddenly spend it on a doll, so I just calm down (or at least try to) and hope that there might be rerelease of this very sculpt later (I'm not into fullsets, fantasy versions and stuff like that, it's just the doll's face that I care about) or that maybe someone will be selling such doll second-hand...
      If it happens so that I fall in love with some limited sculpt... If there's a layway option I'll use it and tighten my budget maybe. But I doubt there will be such a situation since lately I tend to test my love with time to be sure that I really want this very doll.

4. It depends on my money situation at the time. If I want it badly and don't have enough money, I will sell whatever isn't nailed down to get it, but if that is not an option I just let it pass.
      We had a horrible year last year and part of the previous year, so at this point I have vowed never to buy on credit again. I am also at the one in one out point. I want to keep my doll funds within the dolls that I have already invested in so that I am not taking current money away from savings unless I know I can sell enough dolls to cover what I spent.
      We finally have some savings so I don't have to buy on credit, but anything I use I want to replace to keep the savings building up, rather than depleting it on dolls (and I could deplete it very easily lol).

5. I have this thing called “privilege” pay. It allows me to overdraft my account by 1k. Yeah I would owe the bank but thankfully I have a job where I make about 950 per pay check. However I haven’t seen a doll I really wanted except Liam from Doll Soul, but he isn’t really limited so I’m in no rush to buy him. Now the moon bunnies from the loong soul event, I would sell my left eye ball. My right leg and my soul for all 3...