1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you decide which doll to buy next?

Apr 12, 2017

1. For me, it is really hard to decide, which doll i actually want ;) sound strange, but it is so. I'm trying to buy dolls to fill my collection, so they must match and look well together. So i can think a millenia before buying somebody

2. Already decided since my favourite sculptor is releasing a series of dolls (members to be exact) that I like very much so I can predict what they will be making next and if my predictions become a reality, I would buy them.

3. *spends several hours scrolling through websites, but still miss the order period for favourites so winds up with nothing*

4. Basically; I just buy in order of convenience! If I find a particular doll that I've been looking for on sale for an event, or on the second hand market for a really good price, I pounce! Similarly, if there's a particular doll I want that is on limited sale, that would rise to the top of my list and I would work on getting that one first, rather than having to wait until they popped up again on the secondhand market.

5. This is a good question, I take my time deciding on a doll I write down dolls that I am intrested and then if I scratch out names if I forgot about them, no longer like their style, etc. This makes the process of buying dolls take a long time but it saves me from buying dolls that I will not cherish on a long run.

6. I don't plan any of my doll purchases. I don't follow any companies or artists, so I'm not waiting for their next release. I go about my day just looking and wow! That doll is amazing! I think about it, look at my finances, think some more. Then get it. I've learned which dolls set off a certain feeling and spark my creativity. If it's nice, but no reason other than I like it, I pass. I look at it like a butterfly flitting through a field, who knows were the wind will take me.

7. i first decide which size bjd that i want, and then i look for a sculpt that i really like and then i got for it.:sumomo:

8. I wait for the stars to align. Seriously though, it is really random. Something just happens to pop up and I am pushed to buy. I know what I want for the most part, but the timing is always because of random circumstances.

9. Um...well...if when I see the doll...I jump out of my chair, and run around in several tight circles screeching a jumbled chain of, "OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG!" and then when I tell myself, "No, don't buy the doll! Be strong!" I instead proceed to roll around on the ground clutching at my hair...uhh..then I think, "yeah, probably that one." ;)

Then I research. Furiously.

It's a very scientific process.

.... :abambi:

10. I have a list of characters to shell - & what dolls I've decided will work. That changes some (the sculpts especially) but it's working. I've only got 3 full dolls, 3 heads & 2 bodies left to get on my list (I've over 40 dolls BTW). However, when a doll comes up that's NOT on my list but I HAVE to have it, (Souldoll YunGi or whatever they are calling the Key MmN LOL) I'll make room & get $$ if possible. There was one time where I tried to curb that impulse (IH EID Leonard) & I've regretted it ever since!

I have to admit, that when originally scouring the Internet looking at all the doll companies etc, one big criteria for my crew was whether they could cosplay a Bleach character LOL

#50 Teleri, Aug 18, 2017
      Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
    11. I'm shelling characters, so I buy the dolls in the order they appear in my story. It's the easiest way for me.

12. I definitely have a wishlist set up that helps me decide. It also helps that certain sculpts seem to scream at me to buy them then they would be the ones I'd go for first. Limited are higher up on the wishlist because the chance of getting them is slim.

13. I don't decide. It's my friend, the impulse demon, who does :XD:

14. I have been keeping a running list of the dolls I actually plan on owning. Then, as someone else mentioned, if one is limited, that will take priority - right now, the doll I want most that actually became my grail, is one that is only limited to 100 being made so I need to buy it soon if I want it! Then, the other doll I want after that, is an artist doll that will only have a preorder open for one day I believe, so I will need to snatch that up.

After that, I will probably just go by what I can afford at the time. I have dolls that range from $150-$500 or so on my list. The cheaper ones will probably come first since I have bad impulse control, so once I have enough money for a cheaper one I will probably go for that one XD

Another factor is if a dealer such as DDE has them in stock. If I can get instant gratification, I will probably go for that first. Especially since I live in Denver so DDE is only a 15 min drive away, I could go there and buy one on the spot if I wanted X'D

15. I go by my feelings. If I'm debating between two or three dolls, I think of them in my room next to my other dolls and think about whether they fit in my family or not. Or how I would feel holding them and dressing them up.

16. I have a wishlist, but it isn't organized by priority. If I fall in love with a limited doll and have the money, obviously they would be first. Some of my dolls I got because they were being discontinued, so I I waited, I'd miss the chance. A few I got when I did because a dealer had them in stock. Otherwise, it's just who I'm thinking about the most.

17. I only want dolls that I really fall in love with. I guess the promo pics have to be perfect.

18. Usually a company punches me in the face with a limited release or a tan event and I have to grab it lmao

19. Thankfully, I am quite picky and thus there's only certain sculpts and artists' dolls that attract me. However it's still quite a few dolls, 13 to be exact but I can't realistically get most of them so that narrows down. I make a wishlist and then obsessively follow the artists to see if they will re-release or release any new sculpts since I prefer pre-orders > limited edition > standards.

I think when I first got into it, I liked a lot of dolls and I settled a lot due to costs but after a while I started to understand what types of size, looks and sculpts I really like and will stick to that. If I keep thinking of the doll or going back to the same sculpt even after seeing owner photos of the same or previous dolls then I will keep an eye on the artist/company.

20. I can completely relate to this! I want the doll to make me think: 'Wow, I wish he existed in real life...' and I want the doll to be perfect in every way, so I won't end up disliking certain parts more and more and more. Finally I need proof that the doll can pose really well, because that's a must. It's a BJD after all. And then... Convincing myself I can get the money xD