1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you decide which doll to buy next?

Apr 12, 2017

1. Can someone please help me about the "Limited Dolls" because Im new I havent a clue what it means & if they are better to buy as long as you like them..My first doll is I think just a normal doll.
      Thanks. :)

2. some dolls are limited by time period for example offered for one month, quantity unlimited. Some are offered by amount and when it reaches 50 the order closes. Some are also offered by time period and limited but only by outfit and style of faceup. The "Normal doll" is normally not limited by time or amount and offered as a "standard" on the company website. However after some time a year or more, could be many years or until the company goes out of business, the doll can be discontinued. By then there are normally a large amount of the doll and they will come up on the after market - market place on the den.

Better to buy: I think most will agree you want to find a doll you are strongly attracted to and makes your heart jump a bit when you first see it or at least a slight feeling of excitement. Go for the doll that does that. Limited dolls are not always an easier resell. Some people like myself don't care for company makeup and limited clothing sets. Some really love these things. Also try to find owner pics if possible of the head mold. You can look here, you can also look on flickr with a search and google images.

You can always get a custom makeup from a faceup artist and then your doll will be totally unique.

#62 TreeLore, Sep 15, 2017
      Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
    3. It definitely depends; I've had very concrete doll plans go right out the window because the most perfect one popped up on the marketplace. I try to be flexible for that reason, but I generally tend to have an idea of what sort of dolls I would like to add to the family next and just go from there.

4. I DON'T plan! LOL! I buy whatever strikes my fancy and what ever is limited. I am a sucker for limited editions though. There are some regular editions I love but will probably never get. I find that the limited editions I didn't get are the ones that I regret the most. So I try to get them if possible. Just because they are so hard to find later, and often their value raises so I have to spend more to get a doll I could have gotten for less, if only I'd been able to get it the first time.

5. Thanks for that I think I understand now & in the end it would be if a Limited one comes up & you love it just go for it & of course it will be more rare but I guess that would be for some of the Fantasy type dolls..I would prob like that idea because I do like to think what I buy keeps its value.

Because I dont think Im going to collect as a Family style collection just what I like...BUT who knows...lol.

6. Sometimes I see a doll and know I have to get them and at other times I have a character that is pestering me to shell them. All I know is they seem to have a way of deciding for you!

7. My modus operandi has changed... I used to be always on the lookout for my core characters in doll form, so I used to buy the dolls as I found them for their characters.

Later on - well, there are some dolls that I love very much but for which I don't have an immediate plan, or they aren't available, or they don't fit any of my characters. If I see a good deal on one of these dolls (a free shipping event, or a discount, or an event with a gift that I like, or a good second-hand offer on the MP), then I may crack and get the doll. So nowadays the sequence really depends on external factors, because the urgency is gone: my core characters are all here. In a way, this new situation is more dangerous, because it is pure "doll love" and I need little justification to acquire one of my old loves...

8. For me it's based on what I can find instock somewhere when I have the money. I've not had many opportunities for 2nd hand sales.

9. For me, I choose based on a few things. I make a list of dolls I REALLY want, and sort them by how much I want them, then I make another list of the same dolls but sorted by price. From there, I can decide if something I really want is alright to get because it is cheaper, or if I need to save for it and if I want to wait that long to get them. Is there a doll I want just as much but is cheaper? Is there a doll that I really really want or is limited? It makes it easier for me.

10. Usually... limited dolls being discontinued have higher priority for me, then I search in relation to my wishlist and if the opportunity is given I buy them (usually limited dolls too) :kitty2

11. Opportunity has a lot to do with it for me. Being in stock through one of the North American dealers, for example, is a great incentive because I'm super impatient. Also when something discontinued pops up on the marketplace, that makes me really want to pounce. All of this only applies to dolls/heads/bodies that are already on my wishlist, to be clear.

12. Haha my simple process :)
      1.Create a short list of the ones I really want
      2. Watch review videos/read blogs (this eliminates a few because with some only the stock photos look good)
      3. Looks at my current collection and compare (I try to avoid buying ones that look too similar to ones I have~ also eliminates a few)
      4. Compare the remaining ones on the short-list~ (I've seen some people create forum poles to vote which is better)
      5. Start coin flipping with the ones that are drawed with pros and cons
      6. Check how much money I have (this eliminates basically everything but at least the process was fun :P )

13. I actually tend to make myself thin out my dolls before buying another. I basically use whatever money I get from selling to use to buy something I'm really wanting. This keeps me in line and keeps me from hoarding dolls until I burst at the seams.
      Now priorities wise, I'm pretty impulsive which is WHY I have to sell one to buy one. I've recently bought two dolls because they were priced well that I wasn't in love with. Sadly, they're both probably going to make their way to the MP at some point.
      I have however promised myself that my next doll will be tan. I've been wanting a tan doll since I was 15. I somehow tend to end up with white skinned dolls.
      So priority is based on resin color right now, then whether or not the doll is limited.

14. I'e looked at so many that it is a hard decision to make. Especially with the price. Harder to find ones or ones they are no longer making are first I think. But you don' want to get one just because it's hard to find. You still need to get one you absolutely love.

15. I just looked at the picture, feel want it. Then put in cart and buy. As simple as that.

16. I think that would be an easy way to do it but then I might think..'Did it' or :):thumbup'Was it" & all that stuff we let crowd into our minds.

17. I'm normally pretty impulsive with purchases, but the cost of new dolls forces me to plan. I have an planned order of purchases, but if a company has a good event, it could persuade me to move someone up the list.

18. I think thats a good plan & I see that even when people look & plan & take time they still sometimes arent 100% happy..I know I felt like I took ages with my choice going back & forward all the time & now I see her online or someone has her & I think..is that the one I ordered..I think Im fickle but Im sure Im going to love her...(She says with hope).:mwahaha:thumbup

19. My decision on which doll to by is heavily swayed by whether I feel inspired by the doll or not. If a character or concept doesn't pop into my head after looking at the doll a few times I won't buy it. Limited Edition or not, I don't really want to buy a doll I'm not going to do anything with.

20. I look around at sculpts and fall in love, then look at everyones picture of that sculpt painted in different ways. Some artists don't offer their sculpts except during certain order times. And I used to have some discontinued heads on my wishlist too. I buy when I have the money whoever is high on my wishlist. I'm also always looking at special company deals and might jump to buy when a great sale is on one as well.