1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you display your dolls?

Oct 2, 2011

1. My dolls sit on my bookcase (well, technically, they sit in front of my book case on their boxes, which I have repurposed as cardboard bookcases -bibliophile- >_>) They're in a spot where I can easily see them when I enter my room and they are out of direct sunlight. I also have black out curtains in my room, but I don't draw them closed, ever, firstly because it's much too difficult (I have to reach over and behind my desk to do it) and secondly because I have this -thing- about needing to have my room well-lit and cheery.

Some of my dolls have yellowed but none of my Soom dolls seem to have at all. (I've compared my oldest Cream White Skin doll to my newest and there's no noticeable difference.)

2. I have a trio of matching display cabinets for the majority of my crew, placed in the only area of my house that doesn't get direct sunlight. (I live in a row-house style townhouse with big windows facing almost exactly east and west. It's great for houseplants... but not so much for dolls. XD) The few who are just too tall to fit in the cabinets are kept upstairs in the spare room we use as a library. An east-facing room where I can keep the blinds down and curtains drawn.

3. My collection is dominated by 15cm-30cm tinies with one 70cm boy.

I bought a small dvd cabinet with 2 see-through doors.

The top 2 shelves are dedicated to my tinies: BJDs on one shelf, off-topics on another shelf.
      The bottom half of the cabinet has my 70cm boy sort of crammed into it.

I miscalculated the size of the cabinet vs the size of him since I didn't have him until months after getting the cabinet.

I plan to get a bookcase from Walmart's website because its the only one I could find anywhere that has see-through doors. (gotta keep my pesky doll-accessory-stealing cats out)

I'd probably remove the bottom shelf for my large boy and the 2 future SDs and 1 MSD I plan to get and dedicate the rest to the tinies I have and will probably end up getting along with whatever decorative knickknacks I can find or given

4. Ah, fake moss, it's so amazing, I wish I could make a display full of fake moss and twigs :D
      My girls sit on my bookshelf, a bit high up so the cats can't get to them since they love rubbing against stuff and knocking it over. Usually I have them wigless and without clothes to avoid staining.
      I keep my shutters and drapes closed because I'm just a teeny tiny bit paranoid about yellowing :sweat but I can't make myself put them in boxes.
      Can't really say anything about fantasy resin since all my dolls are either NS or WS, but as far as I know yellowing shouldn't alter the colour too much, but I'm sure someone else will be able to give a better answer to that ^^

5. mine sit amidst all my teddy bear collection. there is just something "right" about bears and dolls together. they are out in the open where i can enjoy them but out of direct sunlight. since a lot of my bears are also expensive collectibles i figure what works for one works for the other.

they are also fully clothed since i'm the only female in the house and my boys don't really like seeing naked dollies :lol: i've never had a problem, but i also prewash things like dark jeans several times to avoid color running.

as for faceups. i do my own but keep getting better and better at it. i won't really mind when the faceups need redoing 'cause it will just be a chance to make it better - and i take enough pics that the doll should still come out essentially the same if i want.

6. I've never had a problem with a faceup breaking down (I use the usual pastels, watercolor pencils and acrylics.) I use multiple light coats of MSC and their faceups seem to stay perfect over time for me. Mine are constantly on display in my home. I use themed displays...to me, these are like art (only instead of being two dimensional and hanging on a wall, they are 3 dimensional vignettes on shelves.) My dolls are always wigged and dressed (they'd look pretty funny in their displays if they weren't) and I've not had a problem with staining. And I also have several colored resin dolls...including the Resinsoul/BBB purple the OP spoke of. If there is any yellowing, it's so subtle as to not be noticable really, and it certainly doesn't ruin the look of the doll or their resin color or anything.:)

7. I live in a basement so too much light isn't much of an issue for me. They sit out on my bedroom dresser which has been converted into a living space for them. During the day while I'm at work or if I happen to be away for a while, they get covered with a blanket in the off chance that my cat opens the curtains on the windows that *are* there, and give them funny tan lines. But otherwise, I'm of the opinion that I want to enjoy them, and I don't feel I enjoy them as much when they're away in their boxes. The only times I've put them into their boxes again was if I was going on an extended vacation (I don't quite trust the others living in the house to leave them alone), or when the house was under renovations. They'll find their way in there again when and if I move, but otherwise, their home is not their boxes. :3

8. My tiny and MSD sit on my bedside table. Tabby (the tiny) has a little house set up there using Madeline and Barbie furniture. Her older sister has some high bookshelves there with her diary and make-up, and at night she sits with her legs dangling over the edge of the table. I don't worry about yellowing, the curtains are almost always open and I do take my dolls outside.

Also, for staining: I have never had an issue with Tabby even when she wore clothes for weeks. However, my boy doll has a pair of pants that will turn his legs purple if left on for a day. It really depends on the clothes. There are ways to prevent staining too, I just can't remember them. :)

9. Hey guys! Just got back from a giant flea market (with lots of cute tempting doll furniture) and was just reading over all the comments people have left thus far. Thank you for all the tips! I'm feeling less nervous now that I'm seeing people do indeed display their dolls out in the open. Before, it seemed like most of the collectors I talked to kept their's hidden away, and I was starting to wonder if that was pretty standard for dolls like this.

I do have room darkening blinds, although they're a bit of a joke, so I'm probably going to buy some of these sheets you cut to the size of your window that apparently work for well for keeping sunlight out. I never was a fan of sunlight anyway. :lol:

Edit: I noticed a few people said that air brushed face-ups tend to wear a little better than those made with pastels. If anyone knows of any commissionable artists who do air brush face-ups, please shoot me a PM! I haven't come across many yet.

10. I have mine on my desk, when Im away from it I cover them with a sheet to protect them but when Im around it I take it off to look at them :)

11. I would never hide my dolls. I think I should probably do more to protect from sunlight, but right now, my dolls are displayed in a room box on my dresser. I am constantly changing poses and redesigning the room, but they are always there.

12. At home: My 1/3 Feeple Chloe sits on a doll bed in my closet. She's all nakey right now so it feels better to keep her covered up.
      My two tinies sit on a bookshelf in the living room. They are mixed in between other things that I have. I do use my bookshelf for my huge book collection but I also use a few shelves to display my trinkets. Unless you look really hard you don't really notice them. I like keeping them out and seeing them.

At work: One floating bookshelf next to my desk in my office. I only bring the tinies to work. No way I'd bring the Feeple to work.

13. Mine have their own shelf above my sewing table....I love looking at them, they really inspire me and make me happy, so I like them to be out.
      My desk happens to be in a converted closet though....so the shelf isn't in a window line, so they don't get direct light.....which I am learning can be an issue, but didn't know it at the time of placement, just worked out that way!

14. Mine just sit on their furniture on the top shelf of the closet. I wish they didn't have to stay in there but I'm so pressed for space these days. :/

15. My doll sits in a plastic dollhouse on top of my dresser. It's a little too small for her, so she can only sit in it. All of her things are on the bottom level and she sits on the top level. I just find it easiest to leave her there because I can keep everything semi-organized, and she's safe from my destructive dog.

16. I dont have special case for displaying my doll yet....They just sit on my Top of Wardrobe...it quite nice for a while... but I dont want them become a dust catcher ...

17. My three lads work hard as bookends in my third bookcase. Thankfully there's a little room left for them to do so (although one finds it a bit of a squeeze).
      I've tried to fit them inside the china cabinets with the intention of installing drapes on the inside, but the shelves are unfortunately not quite tall or deep enough to house them.
      The floating head sits on my desk and acts as inspiration, rather how I imagine a skull here or there did the same for some authors of note. ;)

18. I play with my Mo all the time, so hes not really on 'display' much. XD

He has a bed that he sleeps in during the night. During the day he has a couch and chair that he sits in while I'm at school/work.

When I come home he sits or lays wherever I am. ^_^

(edit: My boys a bit old and yellow, so I'm not really too afraid of sunlight or those kid of things. I am careful with him though because I'm not sure I could find replacement parts for his mellow yellow body.)

19. My dolls hang out in my computer room/ book room. They sit all over the bookshelves, perch next to the computer, and lounge about in a couple of chairs full of plushies. I keep them out of the sun as much as possible, but I'm OK with the fact that they will yellow over time. There's just no escaping that.

20. I have my girls in an entertainment stand meant for one of those old tvs, so the shelf is really deep. I put a curtain up so I can hide them away when its bright, and look at them when I fancy:)