1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you fall in Love?

Dec 13, 2008

1. I feel like I just sort of know. With my first doll, I saw the sculpt and I was like "OMG I LOVE IT". So, I looked up more pictures, and just settled on him. The very first day that I had marketplace access, I found a used version of his sculpt and I bought him, even though his skin was darker than I had wanted. (I ended up loving his skin anyway.) It was very quick, considering that I had looked at tons of other sculpts to be my first before then. My second doll, I had looked around for faces that matched the character in my brain. Then, I learned that a friend of mine was selling a very yellowed doll of the same sculpt that I had decided that I wanted. I decided to go and see her in person, and I fell in love with her immediately on contact as well. So, I gave my friend the money, and took her home that night. (Again, I ended up loving her skin.) For my third doll, I was browsing the marketplace for another character of mine, and I came across my third doll's thread. I kept clicking on that thread, over and over, and I just loved her immediately. She wasn't even what I was searching for! She came in the mail recently and it was a very awesome and impressive box opening. I don't know how I know, but once I see a face of doll, I know if I really want it or not. It sounds sort of stupid, but it's true.

2. I think it cab\n be love at first sight or it an take some time for the sculpt to grow on you. I've experienced both. My first boys was definitely love at first sight but I've seen others that take a few photos and seeing people's customizations to start to fall in love with them

3. There are two sculpts that I've seen and fallen hard for. There's just something about their faces that gets to me. I keep going back to their pages and drooling, but I've been unable to find one without going totally broke. I had nearly given up on ever getting a doll when I went to an anime convention and saw a doll on display. He was naked, no wig, just standing there on the end of the shelf. I have to admit he didn't knock my socks off at first, but as soon as I picked him up and held him, I felt like he was meant to be mine. I actually started to tear up! It was that moment that I knew I was in love, and I immediately purchased him.

4. I think I may lack this ability to form emotional connections with objects that so many people here have. I can easily part with objects, and I am rather ruthless about what I choose to keep around, constantly getting rid of things that no longer hold any interest for me. I can say that sometimes, a doll arrives and she simply does not look as good to me in person as she did online, so I sell her. Sometimes I just find myself not playing with or thinking about the doll, so I sell her. I'm beginning to realize that I could easily own only about four dolls, the ones that I find more captivating for some reason, but I enjoy novelty, so I end up buying and selling.

I can say, though, with my pet cat and my pair of rabbits, it's totally different. I love those buggers (although they also annoy me, lol!).

I'm kind of envious that people can feel a real connection to their dolls! To me they are just amazing possessions.

5. I've had a few that were instant love. Like, jaw-dropping, that's the best doll I've seen love (my Volks Kun, Leeke Mihael, Domadoll Cooki). I also had a different circumstance with another doll. In the case of my Pippitan, that was a slower process. I thought she was so strange the first time I saw her, but then I couldn't stop thinking about her, and then I had to have her.

6. For me it was a first site kind of moment with the only doll that's stuck with me. I saw him and I thought: Gee, he looks just like my character! And eventually I got him and I love him tons. Sometimes a doll just jumps out at you!

7. Some I see immediately and fall in love with. Others, I see, and I have to see several photos of to make sure it fits particular characters perfectly before I know for sure. Then after I look at the photos long enough, it's love :)

8. Oddly, The doll I love the most is the doll that gives me the most trouble. I have since resolved to the fact that she simply "has and attitude" let her throw her fits, and then get back down to picture posing.

When I was looking for my first doll, I knew what style I wanted, but had no idea what was out there. I looked at all the dolls found a few companies, and as many have said before me, I just knew.... When I came across my Dollmore Dollpire Sona, I knew she was the one... Paid for her that day...

My question would be do you ever, and HOW does one, fall "out" of love with a doll??

9. It depends, I think. The first doll I ever really fell in love with I think was Volks Elena. I saw her on posters when I wandered into Volks during university and looked at her wistfully and thought, "If I ever have the means to join this hobby, I want this girl." I just managed to get her this year and I LOVE her. However, the two dolls that I fell most in love with in pictures ended up not being my favorites. I eventually had to move my IH Bianca on, and while I love my Soom Adamelli she's not perhaps one of my favorites in my collection? Though I do love all of my dolls.

I did love Soom Sueve from the pictures but at that time I was just starting to collect dolls and hadn't bought from Soom, so I wasn't sure and passed. My biggest dolly regret
      ever! I've now got six of them and two spare heads, and it's a sculpt I will never be tired of. I think I might buy her in neon yellow if Soom were so inclined to release such a color^_-
      Since I do my own faceups I really, really appreciate the diversity and capability of the sculpt, and how much life it has.

Others, like my Kanon, I had to see what people did with theirs before I could make the decision to get my own. The same was true of my Kazuya Kujo girl, which was a true revelation
      the first time I saw someone make this boy into a girl!

And finally, I picked up a used DWC#02 head off Y!J last week after seeing the faceups on them at Tenshi no Sato, thinking to practice facups with it myself. I put it on the SDGr body and plunked on a red curly wig...I don't think I've ever fallen for a doll so fast! She's the character I've been looking for the perfect sculpt for since I started doll collecting, the one I made when I bought my first doll. I wanted to have a big version of her, and suddenly this girl was it. I'm just blown away by how pretty this head is and how the artist considered it a throw-away faceup. For me however she is super special and a surprise find. So I suppose there are a lot of ways to fall in love!

10. I am pretty picky about sculpts, so when I see one I like, I'm usually drawn to it. However, I wouldn't say I fall in love at first sight. I have to see lots of pictures, particularly owner pictures, before I really feel like I NEED the doll. Even then, I usually wait on it. If the sculpt appeals to me in the first place, though, then usually the more I look at a doll, the more I fall in love.

So I guess I start to fall in love right away, and the more pictures I look at, as long as there isn't one that makes the doll look really terrible, the deeper I fall in until I'm practically head over heels. XD

11. For me in the start it's normally love at first sight then I started to learn what you see isn't always what you get. Normally now I just see a sculpt I like and a few months later see something different about it I didn't notice in the release. If i buy it then it's meant to be if I don't I'll just always admire it from a far, I can't buy every single one I like, it would make the whole process a lot less special.