1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you fall in Love?

Dec 13, 2008

1. With all the sculpts I've been interested in so far, especially Tae, I've just seen them and had my face go :o

Though I had see BJDs before, Tae was the first sculpt to make me really want one. And just moments ago I stumbled upon Elfdoll's Wu...and well, I think I know who my second doll may be. :sweat

2. I do not know if I am really "in love" with the doll I found.... I will surly know when I see it in real, but for now, for me, it is a "love at first sight" :D

I had been searching for the best one for me, and when I saw that one I knew it was the one :D

I did not yet change my mind... which is good, but I have had my doubts, and sometime I still have some, but I think that is more becasue it will be my first XP

3. I have this habit of looking at a sculpt hundreds of times, and not really thinking anything of it, until I see one particular moment, and all I can think is "Ah... I need that doll. Now."

And then I move mountains, do whatever I have to, to get that doll! Right now, it's CP Soo that did it... I never wanted one, til I saw one for sale, and the next thing I knew, I was searching for photos of her, and making plans!

4. For my DZ Yuu (Caspien), it was love at first sight. Everything about his mold was perfect in my eyes :D But since I was still planning for my first doll, I looked at every mold I could find and made a list of my favorites...I still went back and chose a Yuu though. I looked at every picture of his mold I could find and fell more and more in love with him. He is definitely my dream boy. No mold will top his perfection for me. I still get happy butterflies when I look at him. So much love~

For my AA Er (Makenshi), I saw him go up for sale and there was one lousy picture of him sitting naked with his head tilted too far back and with flash...but something about him called out to me, even though all I had was that one picture. I thought it over for one day, thinking only of how I could bring him home to me. :aheartbea As soon as he arrived we were inseparable. To me he is like my best friend. I literally take him everywhere I can, even if he has to stay stashed away in my bag. :sweat My love for him grows daily and his little smiles lifts my spirits when I'm down. :aheartbea

My newest and first girl (Ember) is a little different. For her it was 'oh, she's so cute/pretty~' And the exact size and type I was looking for to be a female friend for my boys...but I didn't feel the same deep rooted loooove that I felt for my boys when choosing them. My relationship with her is very strange. haha I do love her, even though I don't know her as well as my boys yet. :sweat She's also not as cuddly as them! lol (she prefers to pose and look pretty than be squished randomly throughout the day in resin hugs xD)

5. For me, it's like a constant stab in the dark. >_<

I get very insecure when it's something I've only seen on the internet so I guess I never had a "falling in love" moment. It's more like... I create a character, I buy the doll(s) that I think suits the character; and if the doll is aesthetically okay to me in real life as it was in the photoshopped promo pictures then the doll stays. Usually I don't sell a doll at this point but only if the doll itself is not suiting to the character or I change something about the character.

Sometimes though, I do have dolls that grow on me despite the uncertainty. When that happens, I try to think of some kind of inspiration for a character. This rarely happens though and when it does I usually never go through with it.

6. For Alec, well, I saw the Mythdoll Lerois and I just fell, hard. xD; As for my Shoyo, to be honest, I didn't really consider her at first. I was looking at a DOD Yen on a girl body, but I sort of grew apart from that idea. Really, it wasn't until I saw some owner pics of tan Shoyo that I decided that she had to be mine, and I couldn't be happier with her.

And then there's Jason, my Puki. xD; I swear, they wear down your resistance from ever getting a tiny, and then BAM, that's where they get you.

7. I think for me it's a bit of both. But usually the first which is love at first sight. Once I see him/her I know I must/must not have. I guess I can say i've had some dolls grow on my that I've looked at over the internet. Even If i see a doll and fall in love right away I always look at people pictures since they help with what the dolls really look like. :)

8. I needed him to look like a particular gods, so I just looked at pictures on many many sites and finally found the perfect ones. Lukily for me they were on the same company and will be matching hights, yay. It's so much easier when you have a mental picture of what you are looking for already :)

9. At this time, I am in love with the F-38 from Volks because he looks like my avatar - my favourite anime character Himura Kenshin although he does not have a cross shaped scar on his face. I am currently working towards acquiring him. Since he is an FCS Sato exclusive head, his price is in Yen and I must be madly in love to decide to order him now. Actually Kenshin is my fanourite anime character because I admire his abilities, political acuman, humility and love for his country.

The first time I learned about BJDs was when I visited Volks website. I fell in love with Isao Nanjou (version 1). He stood out for me when I looked at the list of all Volks LEs. Cecile stood out as well but after a while, it was Isao that stood out more for me. He's just different from all the rest. I think it's this smurk on his facial expression that I like. He is either a strong ally or a strong enenmy. Pretty but can be unkind. He's very intelligent. When he came up on ebay, I could not let him go, as a newbie to BJDs, I took the risk and clicked on "Buy It Now". Of course, I did my homework, researched on the doll, looked at the bootlegs, read DOA threads, looked at photos of the original doll etc before buying. I have been fortunate to meet a very good seller. He's is wonderful. I found him his original outfit and I'm looking for his original wig.

10. For some dolls, it was instant love. For others, not.

When I first saw the picture of Lu-Wen at Luts' website, it was really love at first sight. But back then I was afraid to order him because it would be my first order from a foreign company. But he never got out of my head so I bought him not long after. Even if my Lu-Wen doesn't look like the company pictures, I still love his sculpt and I love almost every other Lu-Wen I see.

For the Feeple Ashley, it was also love at first sight. I saw the doll at Fairyland and I think I have ordered her within a week or so. Totally in love, she was all over in my mind.

For the Soo's (Dark Elf Soo, DES Vamp and Angel Elf Soo), at first I was like "woah, their chin is too point and their nose too small", but when I kept looking to the pictures, love came later. And now when they are home I actually do love their chin in nose.

And my dollzone cherry wasn't really much love at first sight too. Love came later, then went away (when I already got my doll), then when I did a make-over I loved her again.

11. My Nabee girl was actually the "next best sculpt" because I couldn't get the first doll I wanted for my character, people usually say that's a bad idea but it turned out well in the end.

I really liked her alot when I first got her, but not quite in love, but a new pair of eyes brought her a little closer to what I wanted. Then I had to fly off to visit my sister, so I left her with a friend of mine, and she pretty much stayed there for 6 months. :sweat But after that I started missing her, and by then I had enough money to get her a new body and wig, and she turned out absolutely perfect. Now I'm totally in love with her. :)

12. For most of my dolls it was instant love and then a long time of trying to deny it... which costs me a fortune as the dolls gain in value.

13. For me it was >almost< immediate, with a twist xD
      First time I saw a BJD, I remember it was hiritai's Zaoll Eiji, on DA's front page, back in June. Didn't pay much attention then, but soon found myself looking for BJD info/sites/etc.
      The funny thing is I'd been looking and looking since half-September (when I finally decided to get one for myself) at all sorts of sites, liked some, a lot, Migi's heads, DoT Ducan...but none....clicked.
      Then about a month and a half ago I stumbled upon Dollmore, and found Luv...

Wasn't instant love, but I kept going back to her Dollmore page, just wanting to see her. Then searched on Google and DA for more Zaoll (that's how I found out about hiritai's Eiji and that he was the doll I had seen back in June) and then...it clicked xDD;
      None was as sensible, as beautiful, as charming as her anymore =]
      Funny thing, I searched the internet up&down, just to go back to the first one I ever saw...without even knowing.

14. Mix of both. I like to be 100% sure with my dolls when I get them so I like to take my time if possible. 3 main are Xian, Cain and Rae.

Xian my Volks Tony was love at first sight my first 'love'. I liked and knew about BJDs before but never was really into buying one. Then as a matter of fluke I managed to stumble across a Volks database and Tony was perfect. At that moment I wanted one. I finally got him home and finished and he's perfect as he was when I first saw him.

Cain my CP El. The second site I stumbled on was Luts and the first one I liked was El-ss. Then when I was searching for my first I went on Luts and DoA and just fell for the El mold. But strangely he's the doll that took ages for me to warm up to in real life. He was *too* perfect. But he's definately my dream doll and favourite till this day.

Rae my DZ Mowan. He was a fluke too xD I stumbled on DZ in Hong Kong and with the price tag it was more acceptable for me. I was going to choose between a Yuu, a Mo or a Megi and kept coming back to Mo because he looked so sad! I was in doubt, but when I opened his box it's been love at first sight. I just come to realise I prefer SD sized dolls but Mo is still my favourite MSD sized mold ever with his quirky smirk, he only pretends to be sad.

15. I'd pondered dolls for over a year before I got one.
      Once my fiance said go ahead within 3 hours I'd ordered one.
      I'd never seen her before those 3 hours, I'd never wanted a MSD.

But she had to come home. She was the one. Personality, Cuteness, Perfection~

16. I dunno... I just knew xD I tend to browse doll websites a lot, and I research heaps before spending heaps. Some dolls I want to buy once I've seen owner-pictures and read up about them, and figured out who they could be; but sometimes you see one and it's just right and you have to have it!:D All the other stuff comes after xD

17. Great minds :)

I fell head over heels when I saw Elfdoll Red for the first time, but for some reason it took me a couple of months to break down and admit I had to have him. And why? He looks virtually identical to the manga version of Kenshin I have sitting here beside me... a little judicious application of paint later and voila. Red is still the mold that most often seizes my attention in a group.

Other dolls of mine are also molds who I saw and said "Mine! must have!" Usually it has to do with similar type features. I love the heart-shaped anime-esque face and I'm a complete sucker for a good elf ear.

Some have grown on me - like the SS El and the Dark Elf Soo. Yeah, everyone and his brother has an El. But my gosh, why not? It may well be one of those "perfect" molds. Like a Mozart piece. Change one note and it's somehow diminished. :)

I've also found myself snagged a couple of times by dolls that I thought I loved, but it turned out that it's because I really was enchanted by other people's work with the mold. My brief encounter with a tan minifee El is an example. I just loved him... but when I got him I couldn't figure him out. Realized that it's because I love Hobbywhelmed's Calciferbird so much. And Little Tan Godling ended up with her. The same happened with Ardit, a tan Soo-Ri v.1. I HAD to have him. Well, he's with Aernath now, and rightfully so. I stumbled all over myself to get Ardit not because of myself but because of Ichigo and Tangetsugo and all the others there. Didn't realize that until after he'd been here for awhile...

18. Love at first sight for me, although I try to delay buying until I see owner photos.

19. Mostly it's: omgHAWTmustHAVE! :sweat
      Followed shortly by a mad scramble to find a way to get him. Now.

:) I wanted Ardit so bad... he's gonna have permanent lip marks on his torso... :|

20. er... well i was thinking about getting a doll from luts at first...then i came across a migidoll ryu sculpt that i instantly fell in love with, and well that is that.