1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How Do You Feel About "Character" Dolls?

Jun 21, 2017

1. It definitely takes a delicate touch to do it right! Usually, I've think fan-made dolls look better than the company made ones since there's a different dedication to getting the character EXACTLY right, but I'll admit the Immortality of Soul loves have blown me away with how scary accurate they are.

2. I really like them, and actually have a few. I have 2 1/6 Lina Inverse dolls that I bout when I was younger, and a customized DD doll of the same character.
      I have plans for more in the future, but it's a little lower on the totem pole.

3. I am planning to make some characters from anime, manga and games that I really love. And I have respect for everyone who tries to make their favorite characters. It’s really awesome! I like every such post on Instagram when I see them.
      But, to be honest, the only thing that stops me from settling only other people's characters at home is that I would like to come up with my own, equally strong characters that I myself and other people could love

4. I would love a Volks Oscar from Rose of Versailles, everything about her looks so well detailed that I'd feel guilty about changing her up.

5. I like character dolls, even if I don't know who the character is! If I find the look appealing, I would buy it. That doesn't mean it would stay that character in my head though, especially the ones I am not familiar with.

6. I don't know if this counts since it's more of a creature but I bought an Impldoll Colby customized as my favorite Pokemon ever, a Totodile, from fellow user Krowbar and to this day he's the utmost evidence just how much I can really love something. :P

Beyond that, it's not my style to shell characters that aren't mine and I don't care if other people do. I just have to really, truly, deeply love them, and if only a blue dancing baby crocodile fits the criteria, then so be it!

7. Apologies if I have to ask about this on other topic. But I thought about the subject and had a question.
      Let's say I make a famous character out of a doll. Modify its face a bit, paint makeup, make a wig, sew clothes and shoes.
      And if I leave it to myself and just enjoy it, show everyone the photos, then no one makes claims.
      But if I then decide to sell it (I know that a lot of people make doll-characters and sell them, but still), will it be ok?
      If I post photos of this doll in facebook and instagram with the hashtag of the movie/anime from which the character is taken, and the mark "sale", wouldn’t that infringe on copyright? And won't they sue me? If the doll and all the clothes are made only in a single copy, and will never be repeated.
      It's just about the fact that I update my collection quite often and sell some dolls occasionally. And soon that may be character dolls that I made myself, so i want to know.

8. Unless it was licensed I wouldn't label it as a character. Give it a name, especially if it's your own crafting, maybe say "inspired by", but not use the actual character. For example, if somebody is scrolling and sees a "Rose of Versaille Oscar" most would expect it to be the Volks brand and might feel like it's scammy to realize it was your work instead. Be up front and say "inspired by Oscar from Rose of Versaille" and people will likely be more willing to admire your artistry.

9. A very interesting question and topic :) I think personally for me the reason I love BJDs is that you can really make your own character with it's own personality and style. I would not want to have a copy of a character from TV, movies or a celebrity as that just does not interest me but i do understand that other people do.
      So many doll lines own licenses to produce dolls from popular franchises and sell really well so I feel that if i wanted to buy one they are available.
      But I do see gorgeous dolls, BJds on here that are made to look like a character. I guess what I am saying that everyone has personal choices and not all of us are the same.
      Then again I might... might one day be inspired to make my own version of say Jo or Meg March from Little Women or Jane Eyre. I am obsessed with Alice in Wonderland so I may, just may make my own. But I think i would try and make them mine, rather than a copy of a specific version.

I guess though I use my BJDs as the characters in the stories I write and they are my own, original characters. So using a known character wouldn't be useful unless I decide to write a fanfiction which I stopped doing years ago.

But I love that the BJD community is full of very different, talented people and as long as you love your doll and do what you want with it I think that nobody's opinion or comments should matter.

10. Thanks! It’s sounds reasonable.

11. In most cases when I see one, I don't bite. It's more of a, huh. check that out. That's pretty cool looking.
      I am raising my eyebrows when I see doll makers or artisans making stuff that I never thought was possible.
      Such as anime character dolls. Jesus.

12. I love them! Premade or fanmade. I love seeing the work that goes into a fan project, and I love seeing an official version of a character I like in doll form! If I had the money I'd buy every vocaloid dollfie dream for sure! I think I actually prefer character dolls over oc dolls. I like to make ocs, but for some reason not as dolls. I have a hard time seeing dolls as having personalities. So a doll that is supposed to be a character I already know is easier for me to bond with!

13. I've always wanted to do some of the Pokemon characters to pose with my pokemon figures. Even just make my Pokemon trainer oc from the games as a doll would be cool.

14. I’ll be blunt - if IOS had never made an Erwin Smith sculpt, I probably never would have become interested in BJDs as a hobby. I love looking at fan made character dolls, and obviously I like officially licensed character dolls enough to buy two of them. I think any other dolls I purchase in the future would be OCs though (unless Ringdoll decides to make an Erwin too, in which case I’d probably end up buying him and Ringdoll!Levi...)

15. Character bjds are amazing!
      For now I only made my doll according to my own preferences, I think it's easier because you can change the wigs and clothes however you want, you don't need to make her exacly like an existing character :)
      But my Olwen from Magic Mirror will be Evelynn (From League of Legends K/DA All out) because I'm obsessed with her since the "More" and "Villain" music video :love

16. I think they are cool and nice to look at- and I like that people are able to get characters from media they enjoy. That being said, I personally wouldn't buy a doll that was a specific character? I much prefer making up my own!
      But again, really cool to see. :)

17. Removed post because I think the heads in question may be OT. Appologies.

#197 dancingkitsune, Jul 24, 2021
      Last edited: Jul 25, 2021