1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How Do You Feel About "Character" Dolls?

Jun 21, 2017

1. I like character dolls. I'm always looking at pictures of the Minimee's based on different actors/people. One of my early dolls was a Dollstown Seola that was playing Claudia from the Anne Rice books for me.

2. My dolls are loosely based off of Kylo Ren and Armitage Hux (originally from "Star Wars TFA" movie), rather as in their fandom versions hatefully and head over heels infatuated with each other. Though from the start my Kylo and Hux dolls weren't intended for being the exact copies of the original Kylo Ren and general Hux. Of course the dolls' looks are very versatile, I can make them wear regal rags or go naked for kinky photoshoots; the dolls even have faceup variations like, clean and bloody. And I love love LOVE these characters shelled in my dolls, just like I used to love my OCs (I felt a sort of burnout about my own OCs as of late, so I shelled these characters instead, and I did it so well it made me happy).

3. I do! He's a recent development. He still needs his correct hair though. He's wearing it long and down now (which I guess he also does when he's not in costume). I bought a new long wig with no bangs but it's yet to arrive. But here's the wip: Mic

4. Aahh, I love him! I really can't wait to see what he looks like when you get his hair worked out, he's gonna be so cool. :D Thanks for sharing!

5. Eep! Thank you! I hope I can get his crazy hair right!

6. How do you feel about dolls either pre-made or customized by their owners to be existing anime/tv/book/etc characters?
      I have no problem with them at all as i have four in my crew and waiting to do a fifth. I love my OCs but my non OCs are a lot of fun too and as they are my versions they tend to differ somewhat in either looks or character from the original anyway. They are really a form of fan art.

Would you ever buy/customize one?
      Definitely! I have done so already.

Which character do you love enough to pay for a fancy resin version of?
      Loki and Thor (based on Marvel with a bit of Norse mythology thrown in) and Jormungand from Norse mythology.
      Prince Nuada from Hellboy
      I also love the Wraith from Stargate Atlantis and will be getting one together soon

If you already own one (or a few) which characters are they?
      DIM Tom Hiddleston Minimee/Feeple hybrid as Loki
      Iplehouse Claude as Thor
      Cuartos Mobius as Jormungand
      Dim Prince Nuada Minimee/Soom SG hybrid as NuadaSilverlance
      I am also waiting on a green DC Kevin to turn into my version of a wraith from the show Stargate Atlantis

7. I like them in fact I'm planning on making solas from dragon age inquisition. I'm super excited!

8. I love character dolls. I have 4 different Lady Amalthea (from The Last Unicorn) dolls. They weren't made by me as I have no artistic talent whatsoever. After I bought my first Lady Amalthea bjd who was 60 cm, I kept my eyes open for others and then found an MSD size one. I then commisioned someone who makes porcelain bjds to make me a Lady Amalthea porcelain bjd. I actually got to meet Peter S Beagle in May 2015 and I brought the 3 Amalthea dolls I had at that time. I also had plush unicorn made to look like Amalthea in her unicorn form. I showed all 3 dolls and my plush unicorn to Peter and he was totally blown away by them and loved them as did all the other people who came to meet Peter. Peter's manager took several photos of my dolls and unicorn.So I was on cloud 9 all night!!! A few months later I added another 1/6 size Amalthea bjd to my collection. It is always interesting to see how different artists will make the character look. That is why I could never have too many Amalthea dolls.

There are more characters I would love to have dolls of including Prince Lir, Schmendrick, and Molly from The Last Unicorn. I also want Jack and Ashi from Samurai Jack.

9. @blackdahlia that is amazing! I mean, first off, so cool that you got to meet Peter S. Beagle, that's awesome. And I think it's totally cool as well that you have Amalthea represented in different sizes, like... just having those different views of the same character, I bet they make for a beautiful little group!

10. I think character dolls are cool and it is actually someone else's character dolls which piqued my interest in BJDs and made me start to look for a sculpt that I really want to own. I'm more keen in developing the doll his own way instead of being a character, but I'm very interested in making my dolls cosplay my favourite anime characters someday :)

11. Maybe I've already answered this elsewhere, but I'm only shelling my head-canons for fandom characters (Specifically, Transformers). I actually got into art BJDs via Batchix, who at one time did a lot of "Transformers" hybrid type sculpts. Now Batchix has xir own look which is cool, and it gives me wiggle room to find a new style for characters I'm shelling.
      And to practice, I'm face-upping an off-topic doll so I get a sense of the aesthetic I'd like for my shelled characters. One day, maybe I'll work on dolls that are purely from my design/imagination. But not now.

12. I think I'd only consider this for characters who are symbolically relevant to dolls. Like 2B or 9S from Nier: Automata or C!Syaoran and C!Sakura from Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicle. But for the last two they would have to look pretty different because I'm not a fan of extremely manga-like faces on dolls.

13. All of my dolls are based on key characters from my spec scripts. In a sense, my feelings are biased; having a tangibly accurate representation of them is an absolute joy.

More direct with what OP is asking (as in pre-existing people and characters) would probably be my beloved Scarlet; she's literally just heroin chic Taylor Swift. Shameless? Yes, but I don't regret it.

14. A character doll owner here! Actually he is my first bjd, I decided to shell him because the sculpt looked very similar to the actual character so I couldn't resist! The reason is I am quite dissatisfied with his current merchandise so I decided to make my own :)

15. sometimes I buy dolls that match my characters; if my characters look like another character's face and body wise, and I find one that matches those proportions, I am VERY keen to get it

16. I'm not really interested in doing this myself (though maybe have my own characters cosplay!) but I really like seeing how other people interpret existing characters in doll form. Especially if I like the costumes, like GoT etc

17. I love character dolls! My IoS Sebastian Michaelis is one of my favorite dolls; he's one of those characters I'd dreamed of having in doll form since I first discovered this hobby in 2010. I have Grell Sutcliff on the way, and I have a Soom Gluino that is a Beelzemon from the Digimon universe. I would be tempted by Snake from Kuroshitsuji if IoS decided to release him as well :3nodding:

18. How do you feel about dolls either pre-made or customized by their owners to be existing anime/tv/book/etc characters?
      I'm pretty indifferent to the premade ones, but many of the owner customized ones are really cool.
      Would you ever buy/customize one?
      I have no interest in buying premade character dolls, but have a character doll in progress and several more planned. (Though IOS Grell and Sabastian are pretty amazing)
      I'm working on Hei from Darker Than Black. The ones I have planned are Gaara from Naruto, and Moses and Lulu from Blood+. They're all anime characters.

19. How do you feel about dolls either pre-made or customized by their owners to be existing anime/tv/book/etc characters?
      I love seeing character dolls! It's fun to see different interpretations of fan characters, and how much the the owner must love the character.

Would you ever buy/customize one? Which character do you love enough to pay for a fancy resin version of?

I have a few 1/6th OT dolls as fan character dolls, but I don't know if I'll ever come across one I love enough to model a bjd after them and make them wholly into that character.

My Ringdoll Lucifer Arios is inspired from 707 and Unknown from Mystic Messenger. I was having trouble bonding with him-- didn't even have a name for the longest time. I was inspired by 707 to make him an orange wig and everything came together xD I even named him Luciel after 707 -- his baptism name.

I really adore this doll because he's so versitille. I can do Mystic Messenger fan things with him, but I'm trying to develop him as his own character too! I think this is as close as I'm getting lol!

20. They are awesome!