1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How Do You Feel About "Character" Dolls?

Jun 21, 2017

1. I love character dolls! Though I wouldn't want them all over the place I would want a few of my favorite characters. To me it's more of a memory thing. When I really love something I want it in the flesh/stuffed (doll or plush) just because it brings the joy of watching something to life for me. It's like I'm reliving that moment of joy.

I absolutely LOVE Mystic Messenger! It's so awesome that you made 707 and Unknown! I adored Zen, Jumin, and Luciel the most. Unknown really creeped me out. Especially with the Christmas DLC and when he sang Merry Christmas to me. XD

#81 Vehngence, Sep 6, 2017
      Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2017
    2. Several of my BJDs are character dolls. Some are original, like a girl from an RPG I played. Others are from video games or anime. For them, I keep an eye out for sculpts I think suit the character, and wig/clothe/prop them as I see fit.

3. I will admire them from afar but I don't think I will personally buy or make BJDs of specific characters that already exist. I am, however, in the process of doing so with Monster High dolls. I don't know why really but I'd rather have BJDs be my own characters, I'm more ok with making cosplays out of cheaper dolls like MH. Probably because I don't plan on owning more than, maybe 10 or so BJDs and I want all of them to be my own original creations.

However I don't think I'll run out of MH anytime soon so I'm ok making some of those into characters :) Right now I'm making one based on Kubo from Kubo and the Two Strings! And I have 2 dolls based on the traveler from the video game Journey planned. ^_^

4. I'm fine with them and I'm actually about to start customizing one into Antisepticeye (a Jacksepticeye alter ego/character) and I'm planning on buying a few more dolls to shell into existing characters. Mainly Darkiplier, Zatanna Zatara, John Constantine, Vince Noir, and Hannibal Lecter.

5. I'm all for it, i have plans myself to do atleast one. Full mods to make it character accurate. Let people do what they like, it's their doll, their passion.

6. Although I'm not sure I'd ever get one and keep the character, I really do like character dolls.
      But I'm also an anime fan so that may be why :sweat

I don't think that I'd ever get a doll with the intention of customizing it into a specific character though, maybe make my dolls cosplay characters that I like but not have a doll who I've customized myself into a character that I'd like permanently

7. I think I like character dolls and original designs equally. It's fun to see a character you love come to life, and so is piecing together a creation of your own.
      Honestly, I look at character dolls as if the doll was cosplaying :3nodding:

8. Character dolls are neat! I am planning two dolls based on video game characters right now and I will definitely be planning a few more in the future.

9. I think they can be really nice but personally they're not for me. I found a custom DD sailor Moon that looks almost exactly like her once

10. I posted back on the first page saying not my thing. Volks have announced DD Saber Arturia. With armor, sword, crown and cape. I need her in my life :D

Though the preorder hasn't opened yet, and it's going to take a year to ship, so I'm just going to have to wait a while :sigh

11. I probably wouldn't buy a ready-made character doll, I prefer scale statues for such, but I'd love to mod certain characters as dolls and sometimes see sculpts that make me consider it.. Beerus and Whis from Dragon Ball Super would be such an interesting project but when I'm done, then what? I have no interest in actually owning them, just modding and customizing them.. :sweat

12. I think they're awesome!

13. I've tried character dolls (had a Benedict Cumberbatch head done up as Sherlock for a while), but I tend to do it more like "this doll is a person cosplaying as _____" because when I call a doll a certain person who isn't my OC, I end up getting more stuck on what to do with them once I am done styling them or if I move on from the fandom because I cycle into a new fandom around every 3 years.

14. Honestly? My first two dolls- the ones I've made concrete steps towards buying- will be character dolls, based off of a lovely fanfic I've adored for years.
      Of course, so that I can show them to my friends without dying of embarrassment, I'll probably put together a casual outfit for whenever she wants to see them. But in my heart of hearts, I'll know. They'll be Switch's Mara and Tera-Zenith's Oscal.

Third one is gonna be my own OC (his art is my icon, as of this posting), but... I think I may have plans for more character dolls than original characters, haha. Dika Doll's Galois might made a rather nice Vaan... if a little worried. Or maybe I just want that half mask and I'm trying to justify it to myself orz

15. I would love to have a doll that looked like my favorite character.

16. I think they're neat. I don't think I'd pay a lot of money for one though. So I'll stick to admiring the work of others.

17. I would not want to have character dolls. But I like to consider these dolls from other owners.

18. I really like seeing other people's character dolls, and I'm always impressed by how perfect a lot of them are, but I don't think I'd ever really want to own a doll that was made to look like a specific celebrity or animated character -- certainly not for the standard price.

The only exceptions I can think of are dolls that are supposed to be literary or mythological characters, or maybe theatrical roles -- Dorian Gray, or Helen of Troy, or Titania for example. Characters that don't have definite physical features, but rather can be interpreted in different ways depending on one's own imagination. BJDs are so special (and so pricey) that I prefer mine to be as personal as possible, especially considering that I plan to keep my collection very small.

19. I like character bjds, but don't have any myself. I've tried to make character bjds, and failed every time. I just couldn't find, or make the right wig, clothing, etc that was needed to make the character BE the character. I really admire those who have the skills and talent to create character bjds. I just give my doll the character's name.

20. I really like looking at them, especially because customized dolls often look even better than official ones (as someone else already pointed out). I think they're very cool. However, that said, I personally probably wouldn't ever own one, because I like to shell original characters and personalities within my dolls.