1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How Do You Feel About "Character" Dolls?

Jun 21, 2017

1. I have seen a lot of people doing it and putting much effort doing so.
      I never had a strong urge to do it but I think it is a cool part of this hobby.

Ps. Bjd version of Dio sounds so scary and cool! :love

2. I think it's awesome! I hve only one character doll, Snow Miku Dollfie Dream and she is gorgeous. I'm waiting for Volks to come out with a Sakura Kinomoto character doll or a Sailor Moon collection. I would totally purchase them :D

3. My dolls are all my original characters, but honestly if I had infinite disposable income and space for display I'd love to shell some of my favorite childhood series characters. I guess because they were never turned into films the characters feel like 'mine' because I still got to have the final say on how they were visualised and everything, and I've always wanted to have the artistic skills to create them as they appeared in my mind.
      So yeah, in an ideal world I would love to shell some character dolls, but normally I don't find they fit the original vision perfectly.

4. My dolls are my own character, but I like character dolls!

5. My first girl doll was a pre made Queen Elsa. I just adore her. Most other dolls i prefer to get blank and do my own faceups, mainly because i like to play with my dolls, so its easy for their faces to wear down.
      If the right character comes along and its done in a manner that I love, I would totally go for it. Im just extra super picky when buying pre done up dolls. :D

6. I personally wouldn't get a doll to be an existing character. However, I would have my dolls cosplay.

7. I think about the only character I would shell would be a taller, more grown-up version of Hiei from YuYuHakusho.
      I have a total crush on his character, and I am unashamed to admit he'd be my all-time favorite as a BJD anime character. Any other characters are kind of 'meh' for me.

Oh wait, maybe Alucard from Hellsing.....that could be freaking amazing. X3

8. I feel like I'd be obligated to keep a character doll looking the same way all the time, and that'd take the fun out of it for me. Definitely neat to see dolls as certain characters, but not my cup of tea.

9. Super Sonico! I would Love to buy the actual version and I may one day! I tried dressing mine up but it's just not the same. You pay good money for them but the craftsmanship is just Amazing!

10. I personally wouldn't buy one but I think it's awesome that people find joy in it! I think people should be able to do whatever they want with their dolls free of criticism, since they spent so much money on them. *_*

11. I don't that go into character dolls. I really like somethings that's "mine", so I would dress up and face up them according to my own story. Now I'm even sculpting my own doll.:)

12. I don't mind it personally. I think they are quite cool, actually!

13. I usually am not a huge appreciator of other's people dolls of characters from TV shows and movies, because those characters aren't meaningful to me. I love OCs.

However, I could see myself owning/making one of a character I love. Maybe Castiel from Supernatural or something.

14. I saw in the Dollfie Dream thread that Volks is making a Sailor Moon. Just wanted to tell you.

I like some of them, but I don’t think I’m crafty, or determined enough to invest the time into making one myself.

15. I have to say I definitely prefer OC dolls because well, it’s the entire reason I got into the hobby, I wanted to bring my OCs to life. I do have a big problem of buying a bjd and then thinking about how it wouldn’t work for a character I have made and then kinda making a friends fave character and giving it away...so when I was gifted this bjd I looked at the photos of it and made an OC afterwards to work for the doll, but yeah, I think I would consider buying a Rea doll from Sankarea, cause that cute zombie thing is amazing :D

16. I do enjoy seeing fan made character dolls. Official character dolls seem to lack a little personal flavor to me, though I'm pretty sure that if I found one of a character I reeeeally liked, I'd try to buy it. XD I prefer OC dolls generally, because it feels like there's more of a story behind those (not just the character's story, but the acquisition of the various parts, too). I love seeing all the creations around!

17. Yes! I totally saw that as well. I like the concept of the doll, but I think her face needed to be cuter. I'm not entirely happy with the face. I might just make my own and use a different dollfie model ^_^ Maybe they will sell her clothing separate.

18. I'm obsessed with the characters of Final Fantasy VII. I have plans already in the works to fashion a doll after the character Reno, and also the character Yazoo from FFVII Advent Children. If I ever get one of my grail dolls - Robin by Pygmalion. I will turn him into Genesis.(see my avatar photo). I'm not talented enough to have exact replicas, but they will be fairly close representations.

19. I'm only interested in character dolls, and started this hobby because I wanted to recreate 2 of them. I have 2 dolls in the image of videogame characters, another one in the works, and I'm thinking of 2 more.

The way I see it, original characters are not interesting for anyone but their owner, and they're not always that original. Character dolls have fandoms and lore behind them, and recreating them is more of a challenge than taking whatever doll, dressing it in whatever style and then saying it's an original character.

Also, when you're after original characters, you're only interested in dolls that match the image, thus avoiding an unholy lot of expenses. I see a lot of beautiful dolls, but have no wish to buy them whatsoever, because they mean nothing to me.

20. I like the concept of keeping my doll as herself and then dressing her up as a tv/anime character. What stays is the faceup and the eyes, maybe.