1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How Do You Feel About "Character" Dolls?

Jun 21, 2017

1. @ParlourGoddess Oh hey, glad I'm not the only one! Though, having seen your name around a bit, I figured... I'm very tempted, myself, to see if I couldn't do Loz justice. Unfortunately I never got the opportunity to play FFVII back when it was new (looks like my main chance will be the remake, haha), so my first exposure was Kingdom Hearts- recently I got the opportunity to watch Advent Children with a few friends, and well...

Sadly, I don't speak to them after a scuffle happened, but hey, at least there'll be one other person out there, interested in dolls and Final Fantasy.

That being said, in addition to some earlier comments I made, I'm mighty tempted to turn my Venitu into Saix... Hm...

2. I like to see character dolls but I don't own any.
      I prefer to create an original doll but I have the idea to make a Shinku since October because it's one of my favorite manga character (not with the Volks Shinku even if she's beautiful I think she looks too mature for what I want to do)

3. I normally don't like people style in this hobby,, so if I actually bought a second hand doll i will change the whole look.
      I never create a character or names for my dolls ,, i love to make them sweet all the time.
      Except one doll has an animation character based on Yugioh anime

4. I'm just not a fan of bjds based off of real people, they've always been off and a bit unnerving? But I think if someone really loves an actor or actress enough and feels alright with the sculpt then they're welcome to keep making/selling them! On the other hand, there's a huge market for anime-styled dolls, and I personally like the way they look. For example, I really want the 2b bjd from nier automata.

5. I was actually just watching a video about Automata and was thinking my doll has a similar nose to 2B's and am considering trying to remake her. I've done terribly at making an OC for her.

I like character dolls (obviously). I probably wouldn't buy one myself, but making one seems fun.

6. You could always make a 2b halloween costume for your character!

7. They don't interest me, honestly. The few characters I like enough to want several hundred dollar dolls of are characters that would never, ever get a sculpt, and I've got so many of my own floating around that it just seems more worthwhile to try to make those instead. I absolutely understand why other people buy character dolls, though, and they're certainly nice to look at!

8. I wouldn’t directly buy a character doll, however my doll does cosplay for other characters. Never want to buy a fully built up doll :|

9. That's a good idea. I already have a white wig that needs a cut.

10. A "character doll" isn't necessarily one that has an "official" sculpt, however, whether actually official like the recent Doctor Strange doll, or "sculpted in the likeness of" like Minimees. It's also a doll that's styled to look like a character, using an existing sculpt that looks like that character (or "enough like," or "gets the essence of").

Of my half-dozen mini character dolls, four of them are currently available standard sculpts that were not designed to be those characters by their sculptors, one is a now-discontinued formerly-standard sculpt (that I hope is returned someday), and the last is an event head that happened to have the look I wanted. (All the tinies are standard sculpts that can be easily purchased now, as well, and the two big ones were standard in their day, though again are now discontinued.)

I do actually own a MNM head for one of the characters, as well. The discontinued head sculpt I have for him now looks better than the sculpt actually modeled after him.

For me, and probably for most of us with character dolls, it's not about buying a fullset, it's about building a character we love from the blank sculpt up, and it's delightfully satisfying.

(not that I'd say no to that Doctor Strange doll. yum.)

11. I don't mind character dolls! It's another way of expressing love for a certain franchise or character, just like cosplay or fan art. I would probably shell my favorite anime character into a Dollfie Dream, SQ Lab or another "anime" type of doll like Obitsu or Azone if I considered myself experienced enough to do it and had enough funds. I also considered making cosplays of characters for some of my dolls or having a "cosplay doll" be any character I like on a whim. However I prioritize making my own characters into dolls at the moment since I already cosplay and collect plenty of anime figures / merchandise.

I also really like looking into existing anime dolls (especially magical girl ones), which I find are already very accurate to the characters. I myself own a vintage Sailor Moon doll collection that I would love to expand! Ultimately, I'd say that character dolls are something I really like to think about but don't really act on for the moment.

12. for me, its all about character and building a personality- the sculpt is just an aid for that. Building a doll for an already existing character from an anime/tv/movie etc. isnt really my thing because i like to create my own concepts. Maybe taking inspiration form mainstream media but never playing straight off of it. This is mainly because i'd always be comparing my creation to the original and worrying about whether i have portrayed them true to character.

13. Character dolls can be really neat, and crazy good! I’m not interested in making them specifically, myself, but I do want to make my dolls costumes of the characters I love. I joke that they like to cosplay, haha. :XD:

14. While all of my current dolls are OCs, I actually just purchased a doll that I plan to turn into a character from a video game I like. I saw the face and knew instantly that was him.

I see it this way. I already collect anime figures and I collect dolls. He's pretty much going to be a giant anime figure since I have high doubts that this character would ever get a figure

15. I had wanted to post these photos of my Amalthea dolls at THE LAST Unicorn tour when I first posted in this thread in 2017 but couldn't find them. I just found them a little while ago.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. I must say I love that you have done Amalthea, and also did the meet & greet with Peter Beagle with her tagging along. :D I've thought about doing Amalthea myself, but that's a plan down the road (if at all). Yours is wonderful!:kitty2:thumbup

17. Actually in the photos with Peter there are 3 Amalthea dolls. One is SD size, one is MSD, and one is 1/6 size. The 1/6 size is made of porcelain. The one with me holding the doll up in front of the Last Unicorn poster is my SD and was my first Amalthea. Those photos were from May 2015, I have since added a couple more Amaltheas to the collection and will be adding a 65 cm Amalthea in unicorn form to go along with my SD Lady Amalthea that looks like this: [​IMG] Peter was extremely impressed with my dolls and I was euphoric that I got to meet him! Peter is like a God to me!

18. Your TLU dolls are GODLY! Especially Unicorn!Amalthea-- very impressive and looks just like her anime design. My favorite book and writer; how wonderful that you got to meet him. I hear that he's very gracious and kind.

19. I love to see other peoples characters and what they have done with the BJD. Not got any myself and if I saw one for sale that I was interested in then yes I would buy it. I think its amazing what some people turn their BJD into which what makes this hobby interesting

20. I honestly love the idea of dolls made for existing characters and OCs... I am 100% biased though as all of my doll plans are OCs or fandom dolls.
      My biggest project is currently a Loki (Marvel) doll. He's a long way from complete, but I'm very excited about him. I got lucky with him that there's a sculptor who did a really nice Tom Hiddleston sculpt and had some good examples of which bodies look nice with the head. I'll give their name when I actually track them down again (it's been two years since I bought my Loki heads).