1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How Do You Feel About "Character" Dolls?

Jun 21, 2017

1. Character dolls is a good idea but sometimes they can't be the same with the characters so there are still some problems wth the character dolls.

2. I have many character dolls and love them. I usually use non-limited sculpts. My current ones are
      Zelda (botw): modded Xagadoll Camille
      Link (botw): modded Migidoll Yujin/Loongsoul 62cm
      Sora: migidoll Ryeong
      Vanitas: migidoll Shion
      Ventus: migidoll Jina
      Loki: Immortality of Soul Tony

3. I love looking at character dolls, but there's very few characters out there that I'm attached to enough that I'd spend $500+ on getting a bjd version of them (plus most minimees tend to be for 70+ bodies and I can't handle dolls that big)...although that might change with Smartdoll making Marvel/DC/Star Wars characters and Volks making Disney princesses :XD:

I do have a doll that used to be vaguely Crowley from Good Omens, but now that the Amazon series is out he doesn't really fit anymore. I'm thinking about getting a black bjd snake from Cuarto Dolls to be Crowley instead, and maybe a Nympheas Brioche for Aziraphale if I can find him in the right color. And I have a Volks Alice that's pretty much just Alice from the books/Disney movie, but there's been so many versions of Alice over the years that it doesn't really feel like a "character doll".

I don't make dolls to be characters, but I will base some of my oc's on characters that I like and then maybe make dolls based on my interpretations of them (for example, I have a storm god based on Seto Kaiba and a desert god based on Yami Yugi/Atem; I might make the gods into bjds but I wouldn't make the yugioh characters (about 80% of the reason is hair)). Although if I did end up getting a Marvel/DC/Star Wars/Disney bjd down the line I might end up getting more based on that franchise so the first one won't be lonely.:sweat

4. Likes them if they are made well enough, when i saw two black butler grell dolls made by different sellers i kind of wanted them but since they are sold out everywhere it's way too late.

5. I love the idea of character dolls, and maybe some work better than others. There are some of my own OC's that i'll likely never shell because trying to find the right things for them would be near impossible.

6. I want a Giorno Giovanna SO BAD.
      SO
      BAD
      And also like, Stardust Crusaders Dio. Maybe Kars.
      But some other characters i'd be down for as well. Raphtalia from Shield Hero, anyone?

7. I don't have a specific original character in mind for my current dolls and I'm even less likely to make a doll into a character that already exists. I definitely wouldn't buy a doll who couldn't be adapted to fit other looks (for example, if you bought a Harry Potter doll, he would always have the HP scar). However, I would love to create outfits or looks for my dolls that represented different characters, just for a photo session.

8. I feel 50/50 about it.
      For me, I feel like they have to look super authentic, which is hard.
      The only ones from Doll companies that I feel look super close are Touken Ranbu's Mikazuki Munechika and Amnesia's Shin.
      They are both from the same company but I don't remember which one.
      I also liked Ringdoll's Uta, he was beautiful.
      However, for example, their Levi, i feel like is missing something for me but I don't know what.

9. Is thinking about making a couple of dolls inspired by characters, including one inspired/influenced by no face from spirited away.

10. I do understand people who cherish official character doll. (Many people around me including my boyfriend do...)

But to talk about the self opinion, these dolls are not for me. I like a doll to start with my OC instead.

I just took part on a purchase for a character doll btw because my boyfriend like her so much = =; (And he help me with my doll before) Which... Result in a good body and nice face up, but had a defect on one of her dress part, and we're still on a claiming process with her company. Sigh

11. I tried so hard to make several character dolls. Each time I've gotten frustrated and turned the doll into an OC.
      I love them, but I just like looking at others now.

12. Well, most of mine are just that...dolls of already existing characters. It started with Marvel, but I have branched out by now. The next addition will be the devil himself...Lucifer, realized with an IOS Jade. I am a bit worried about 80cm...but we will see.

13. I would much rather shell the specific character myself since I have so much freedom in the sculpt and outfits and plans tend to change after getting the doll (like choosing to shell a different character or OC). plus i rarely like the additional stuff that comes with character dolls like accessories or the company sculpt just wasn’t what i had in my mind for them. in the end, i like combining the favorite parts of my favorite characters in one doll so they can adapt to different concepts and looks :blush:celebrate

14. I think they’re awesome! I would honestly love to get a doll to turn into Yuno Gasai. She’s been my favorite anime character for so long, that it would be a perfect fit. I’m working on a Yuno cosplay, so maybe one day I could match a doll at a convention?

15. There's a character from a game I thought of making clothes for and finding a wig etc, though the hair would be super hard to style, but when I think about what I would do after putting the doll together myself is like.... um.. er.. kinda limiting? He has a story in the game, that's that, I wouldn't feel right changing it and don't even want to change it so.. I can't really be creative with it. So I'd rather not. But that's just me of course! I think I just like to make my own characters because they are mine, like they'd be my own intellectual property *shrug*.

16. I'd consider it! It would mostly be for my most dedicated fandoms, though; Zelda and How To Train Your Dragon. I think that it could be gorgeous to make dolls of Link and Hiccup! Plus it would be like making my own custom merch.

17. For a few years I wanted to create a Ciel and Sebastian from Black Butler, but in the end felt it'd be too difficult as I don't sew my own doll clothes. A couple of companies later released some pretty cool licenced Black Butler dolls, but by that time I'd somewhat lost interest in the characters! :sigh

18. Oh boy -- I get carried away enough shelling my own original characters; if I ever started shelling pre-existing ones, my wallet would really be in trouble!

I used to collect anime figures, and I still pick up a nendoroid now and again, so I totally understand the desire to have a miniature version of your favorite character standing in your room, but personally I prefer my dolls to be original creations. To me, one of the major appeals of BJD's is the ability to just let your imagination run wild when creating and styling them, and besides that ... I don't think I'm a big enough fan of any particular character to devote as much money and time to them as it takes to purchase and gussy up a BJD! If I ever did, I think it would probably be something like a character from fiction or mythology -- technically, a character that already exists, but whose appearance I could take some liberties with. :)

That said, I love seeing pre-existing characters in other people's collections! Especially if the sculpts themselves aren't originally meant to represent that character. I forget who it was, but I know there's a user on here who made a version of Majima Goro from the Ryu Ga Gotoku games using a Doll Chateau doll ... so cool!!

19. All of my dolls so far are official character dolls, actually :XD: I can see why some people prefer creating their OCs but for me character dolls were a great introduction into BJD world. I didn't have to worry about finding a perfect sculpt or doing/commissioning a faceup or finding clothing which honestly can be a little overwhelming. There are so many companies to choose from!

I would like to try and customise a doll one day, of course. I've always adored Iplehouse and Volks dolls and I hope to buy a blank doll one day to try my hand at faceups and find perfect outfit. However I'm perfect happy with my character dolls for now and I'm excited to find more casual style clothing for them!

20. I haven't read anyone else's response before I wrote mine. You've been warned! :kitty1

I joined this hobby because I wanted to create my then-favorite characters in resin! At the time, my favorite series was 'Gravitation.' I wanted to create resin versions of all of the characters. I think I'm going to stop with the ones I have, since I now live in a much smaller house. :sweat I have other character dolls from other series as well as plenty of OCs, but it was Gravitation that got me started.

Because I wanted to make my favorite band from the series into resin versions of themselves, I found a hobby that not only made me more creative, but also gave me a way into many other hobbies, such as learning how to sew (helped my cosplaying), learning some photography techniques, how to match clothes in order to make a nice put-together outfit, and more.

I give my character dolls a lot of credit for being a gateway into aspects of my creativity I didn't even know I had. I probably wouldn't have wanted to learn this stuff if I hadn't joined this hobby. Not to mention making friends and getting out and away from my computer more!

This is Nittle Grasper, the Gravitation band that got me started in this hobby.

From Left to right, Tohma, Ryuichi with Kumagorou sitting on his lap, and Noriko.

[​IMG]
      100_6322_zps4fcbf841
      by Ryuichi Sakuma, on Flickr

Thank you, Nittle Grasper, for letting me re-create you in resin! :hug::abow::love

Ryu

#160 Ryuichi Sakuma 13, Jan 29, 2020
      Last edited: Jan 29, 2020