1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you feel about fantasy hair colors?

Apr 25, 2013

1. I have a doll who is my more realistic fashion model and she's classically gorgeous and then I have my fantastical characters that need a little more punch than a natural colored wig can provide.

2. I have both, but my favorite are fantasy colors. I prefer the heat-resistant colored wigs the best--with the lower shine--for fantasy color wigs, as they have a lower shine (especially in photos) for some reason. I think they tend to look a little better.

I myself have blue and lime green hair right now--it covers gray really well--and it's a different color almost every month. (I'm a blogger/author and work from home, so I can get away with it at this point in my life.) :)

3. I'm OK with both, really. I do have fantasy dolls which of course have fantasy hair colours. Or human dolls with dyed hair. Though for the most part I usually prefer more natural hair colours. Though it probably wouldn't hurt me to be a little more brave with the colours. I've noticed that I'm building up quite an army of red-heads. :sweat

4. I like the middle ground ;) -- fantasy hair colours that are subtle and not too outlandish, and realistic hair colours that are striking and a little too bright. For example: if my doll had green hair, it would never be neon green, but more like a realistic, evergreen colour. And if my doll had black hair, it would be a very dark blue instead of straight black, or black with subtle fantasy-coloured streaks.

My doll family has a mix of realistic and fantastic hair colours: one has very dark royal purple hair, and I'm planning "gunmetal gray" hair for another (who is not an old character). I used to have a girl with deep wine-red hair, and am looking for that same colour for another doll. It also depends largely on the character! :)

5. I love seeing dolls with "unnatural" hair colours, especially teal. The characters I want to shell into a BJD don't have those hair colours at all, but there's this one wig that I really want to buy for one character simply because it's a gorgeous colour.

I guess it really depends on taste, and on what the character's personality is.

6. so far ive stuck with natural tones. honestly when I see these crazy pinks, blues and bright lime greens it just looks cheap but there are a lot of exceptions. and i dont like that weird annoying shine that shows up in pictures with some fantasy colors. its just irritating ~

7. Since I'm a big ol' wig slut, I don't really differentiate between fantasy and natural colors. I really enjoy how different wigs completely change up a doll's look, and how a fresh cut or color can bring out different shades of personality in a sculpt. My Ryu Miu has got a peach-colored wig (Dollmore) and a lovely pale blue wig (Only-Doll). Both soften her expression and make her almost ethereal.

8. I grew up with Jem (is anyone here old enough to remember Jem?) and a bunch of fluorescent-haired My Little Ponies. I still remember my best friend's Mom saying the reason we all wanted to dye our hair pink and purple and green was because of Jem and those My Little Ponies! (I've always thought pink hair is so glamorous... blame Jem...)

9. I never really thought that I'd get oddly coloured wigs...but when I came up with a character doll, ducky yellow hair was on my brain. The yellow wig I got him is the only one I can see him wearing. I tried and eventually mutilated a normal blonde wig after trying many times to see if a normal hair colour would fit his character, but it just didn't...

10. I like both natural and fantasy colours-- as long as the colour seems to work with overall aesthetic of the doll, I think almost any colour visible to the human eye can be beautiful. Colours that aren't visible to the human eye would be interesting too, but you know, it'd be hard to photograph them normally. My own collection is mostly natural-ish as far as human hair goes.

11. I usually prefer natural colors, but it very much depends on the doll, the doll's character, race etc. For example; for a human -doll I would only give natural color hair (unless they dye their hair), while I'm planning to give all sorts of colors for my (future) dragon girls; green, pink, pale blue etc.

12. :)I'm old enough to remember Jem. I remember I wanted blue hair because of Stormer and Aja,lol. It's funny to think how the stuff we grew up with influenced our BJD tastes. Every time I see a pink or purple wig I think of those cartoons.

13. I like both. I have a doll with a fantasy wig. It's silver and goes all the way to his butt. I also have a doll that's supposed to have a natural wig (a nice auburn color). The problem is that I can't seem to find very many natural wigs that would work. I that's a statement to how many people like the fantasy colored wigs.

14. I like both..i have dyed my hair in so many colours...i think the only one i miss is green..and maybe gray...mmh i don't remember! XD
      when it comes to natural colors i prefer colours not too showy..instead for the fantasy colours i prefer something striking! *^*

15. I love fantasy hair colors, but my dolls always tend to look bad in them....so I stick to natural colors. Maybe one day I'll have a doll that can naturally pull off weird colors- that would be pretty wicked.

16. I love some of the fantasy colors, but for the pastel pinks, blues, greens, etc., it seems they're more suitable for girl dolls. I see very few male dolls in colors other than orange, red, yellow. Yet, if you follow the Japanese streetwear tumblr blog, where fantasy dyeing (and lots of mixed shades!) is apparently very popular right now, you do see guys in the cooler-toned shades.

Been so brainwashed into the hobby esthetic that I don't think of grey, silver or white as fantasy colors any more! And I keep looking at humans with red hair, searching to confirm that club-red, and auburn without any yellow tones are natural colors too.

17. I like both. It depends on how I'm styling the doll also. Most of my dolls have natural colors, but I have one with pink and brown dreads, and another with green and white mohair. I'm also planning two others with unnatural colors, one a peach pink with white ombre, and another in a deep blue.

18. Originally, I stuck with only natural colored wigs, but now most of the ones I tend to get are fantasy colored. Go figure!

19. I love both, since I have doll characters that are suppose to be humans and also ones that aren't I have both kinds of wigs.
      I really wish there were more varieties of fantasy coloured wigs tho!

20. For me it just depends on the doll. If it fits the character of the doll then yes, I would definately use fantasy colors. If not then just a simple natural hair color :)