1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you feel about fantasy hair colors?

Apr 25, 2013

1. How do you feel about dolls with fantasy hair colors vs natural hair colors?
      I really enjoy fantasy colors over natural ones--probably because I also prefer impossibly vibrant eyes and very 80s color schemes! But I've seen amazing things done by other people with natural colors, my partner included. It just isn't really for me.

Do you own both, or do you prefer one over the other?
      I have five dolls with natural hair colors, and I think ten with fantasy colors... But some of them switch, occasionally. Meren's an alien, but he's currently got jet black hair, and Merishu's the only one of her sisters with a natural hair color; the rest of the Meris are pink/multicolored/purple at the moment.

2. Can we have both natural hair and fantasy hair colors in the same wig, please? :3

I've always loved hair with fantasy colors blended with natural colors and my favorite combination is black with purple and blue highlights. I think you can have much more variety mixing it than just choosing one over another. I also think that hair has a lot to say about our personality, so I always consider my doll's personality to choose a wig that fits their character.

3. I like both but really fantasy hair colour for me is red or yellow colour, it is kinda my not so favorite colours. Even not natural colour could be beautiful, for example - mint green or light blue. I'd like to buy blue wig.

4. I too prefer natural colors, though in hair I usually think other colors are pretty cute or neat as well. And I guess I consider multi-colored hair to be dyed, but naturally fantasy if it's one tone. But since you can change hair however, it's definitely a lot less locked-in compared to something like skin...

5. I love fantasty hair if the face-up is right. I got a doll with gorgeous teal wigs, but they just don't suit her, so I am making my minifee a colourful soul! My faves are bright red (like myself), ultramarine blue and purple.

6. I like both but I am more drawn to fantasy colors :) I've always wanted fantasy colors for my own hair since I was a kid! When it comes down to it though, I go with what looks best for the sculpt/character.

7. I realised yesterday that not one of my dolls is supposed to have natural hair colours, I think I'm stuck on white hair for most of my characters (they all seem to be albino lol)
      Actually the more I think about it all my boys have white or silver hair and all my girls have fantasy candy colours, I love those dusty pink colours!!

8. How do you feel about dolls with fantasy hair colors vs natural hair colors?
      I love fantasy hair colors. It's part of the reason why I have fantasy dolls >.>

Do you own both, or do you prefer one over the other?
      I do. I have characters that live 100% in the natural world and they have all natural hair colors. That's why I have to have to fantasy dolls so I can have free reign with them and do whatever I please ;)

9. I don't mind either at all, but I prefer the unnatural ones! I think it sets dolls apart easily. c: It can also provide a lot of character, a neon purple wig can make a doll seem much more wild, compared to, say, a dull brown.

But some doll characters fit natural wigs better! For example, if your doll's character is really shy, reserved, and prefers to not be the center of attention, it's hard to imagine them wearing bright and unnatural locks.

10. Most of my crew have natural coloured hair (many are redheads) but a few have fantasy wigs. My chibi unoa wears fairy kei and has pretty pastel hair to go with it - I ordered her faceup to match her pastel wigs.

With my baked tiny fairy May, I knew from the day I ordered her that I wanted her to wear FMD's antique green (actually a rich teal colour) wig for no other reason than I loved that colour and thought it would pop against her skin. Even though I myself still think it was a bit of a strange choice for such a conventionally pretty doll I couldn't imagine Maeve with any other colour now. And even though her hair colour is not natural, she still retains a very gentle beauty.

The other day I was walking behind a couple of girls and realised that one of them had pretty much the exact same hair colour and style as Maeve. I kind of wish I was brave enough to wear it myself!

11. I love both natural and fantasy hair colors but my doll wears a natural colored wig. Since I change her clothes so often it's easier for me if her hair is a neutral color (brown). That way her hair never clashes with her outfit.

12. It really dose depend on the doll i have a doll planned that is going to have "fantasy hair" but that is because ehs a total rebel and dyed his hair blue to be a brat lol but I think it really depends on the doll and what they are to you

13. I like both fantasy and natural hair colors. If people can dye their hair other colors than blondes, browns, reds and blacks, it is fine and why not have it on a doll? I do not even have any extremely fantasy-styled dolls but I love all the colors available that wigs can offer. So far my only girl has a pink wig, but other dolls I have planned seem pretty evenly split between natural and fantasy colored hair.

14. I like both! most of my dolls have natural wig color and it depends on the doll and her faceup what wig color will look best on her. as for fanstasy/non-natural colors I like mostly pink wigs, I also have 1 turquoise wig, but I think I like mostly pastel colors wigs as it's gives more soft and romantic look to my dolls :)

15. I like both. In the world my dolls' characters live in, white or grey are also "natural" hair colors, so several of my dolls have or will have grey or white wigs. I also could not resist buying several of Leekeworld's amazing special colored wigs for their last event sale. Their colors were just too wonderful to resist, and they will go on those of my dolls who do not have specific personalities representing my original characters (who each have very specific hair and eye colors). In contrast to these fantasy wigs, I have a doll who wears Leeke's "Sandy Brown" colored wigs, and am planning an orange haired doll... although she may cross the line between natural and fantasy.

I don't see why anyone would prefer one over another, to be honest... if a wig fits the character it's intended for, that's all that matters to me.

16. I like fantasy hair colors. There might be characters, who can't have fantasy-colored hair because of the background story. For example, if I would like to write a background story for a character, who comes from Ancient Egypt, I would have to choose natural colors - black or red (red would also be possible, because at least one Egyptian princess that I've read about had red hair.).
      If my doll portrays a modern character, I can choose whatever I want, because many people color their hair nowadays, some of them prefer bright colors (There was a girl in my class, who always colored her hair pink).

17. Depends on the doll and personality for me. I tend to lean on natural colors though.

18. I like fantasy hair colors on fantasy dolls ex: long flowing blue hair on a mermaid doll
      I'm not a fan of fantasy colors on an otherwise normal looking doll ex: guy in a modern business suit with long flowing blue hair

19. I really like fantasy colored wig a lot! ^^ I like all pastel colors, gray and wine red ^^ However all my dolls live in "real world". Non of my dolls is from another race or something :p My own hair is also purple xD
      However some of my dolls have natural colored wigs as it fits their personality better :)

20. I honestly love both! Maybe it has to do with my love of anime? XD