1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you feel about more joints and larger dolls?

May 2, 2007

1. I like the idea of having a double joint on the knee.The way normal knee joint pops out bothers me.It doesnt look nice if the doll is sitting on his legs and there is no knee,just string! *_* So definetly it looks better.Having said that I dont like the way Domuya flexibody has ''sharp lines'' it makes it look less natural. *_* (Ugh,I'm picky)

Alsi I prefer bigger dolls.It would be nice to have something bigger than the Delf boys I have at the moment.Something maybe 65cm plus.I'd love it if latidoll did the new latiblue Rucas doll in that size! (My purse woudnt love it at all. :sweat )
      Having said that,something like Sabik might just be too big.He would make the other dolls look like kiddies! Considering my current delfs are supposed to be 18,how much more do boys grow after that age?? (Some, but not that much! Surely?)I think about 70cm would be the max for me. :D
      Poor Jiro will probably be the only MSD sized in this family...

2. Hear, hear!! My very uttermost favorite doll happens to be one of the bigger ones, (I mean SD sized as opposed to mini... but much shorter than the huge guys we are seeing now) and he's made of very hefty resin indeed. Getting him to balance/stand properly on those wobbly little ankles with all that gorgeous resin weight above was, to say the least, a nightmare. I have actually resorted to a stand for him. And I HATE using stands.

So yeah, I'd go for fewer joints if they were RELIABLE joints.

Having said that, I own a number with all sorts of intriguing things going on. I'm very pleased with how well they stand and pose. Yet, the best poser of all at the moment happens to be Toshi, a much-beloved but abused DZ Shuang atop an old, beat-up Volks body I snagged from YJ. He has nothing special going on AT ALL aside from some hot glue hither and yon, but he holds a pose like a champ. Go figure. What he can't do that both my new Domuya Flexi-Body and my little Bobo can do, is pick his nose properly. Priorities, people. Arm and hand flexibility is REALLY important! ;)

I do believe it is possible to take it a little too far, though... Both the aforementioned Domuya guys have the split foot joint. It's so cool! But WHY? For Bobo, it would be fun to have him climbing like the little monkey he is all over things, BUT because the mid-belly section is really round, he can't necessarily hold a pose requiring a bent foot well or long enough to make it worth the stringing effort.

Short answer? As flexible as possible while being STABLE. And make the tall guys more proportional. ;)

3. I think the trend will continue with more companies coming out with their own larger doll lines. As long as people are snatching them up, more will be made. I think the Mecha Angel will be the tallest doll height for a while unless somebody tries for something similar and makes a doll a cm or two larger.

I am most comfortable with larger dolls and the trend has certainly been in my favor. I do find myself concerned that doll companies are forgetting that collectors of the tallest of the tall do not account for the entire community of buyers. It seems that all of the improvements in sculpt and mobility are being saved for the giants while the smaller dolls are left behind. What about the needs of people who want an SD10 sized body, but also want double jointed elbows or a locking back mechanism? Those collectors are pretty much being ignored.

I do hope that in this rush to make dolls larger that companies don't forget the importance of physical beauty, proportionate scale, and solid engineering. Just because there's a demand for "big" doesn't mean that every other aesthetic detail falls by the wayside.

And while addressing concerns about the larger doll trend...where are all of the larger girls who aren't models? What I mean to say is, as the girls are getting larger their busts are increasing in size, their waists are getting smaller a la Barbie and their mobility is not as great as their male counterparts, where is the true female equivalent? The only one that seems to fit the bill so far is the up and coming Dollstown 15 girl. She's larger and more realistic, for gawd's sake she has muscle definition in her arms! I'm eagerly awaiting the introduction of Volks SD17 girl for this very reason.

Yes, I love more jointing. Double jointed elbows and extra flexible wrists make taking jewelry photos for OrangeBabyDolly a hundred times easier! I hate having to wrangle my model into a pose with eraser wedges and rubber bands, it's so frustrating and time consuming. When I have an SD16 model, a Dollshe model, or a Shinydoll model everything goes quickly and easily as they settle into poses without effort.

Since my dolls are physical representations of my characters who range in height from 5'4" to 7'3" I need to have a range of larger doll sizes. I don't expect the scale to be dead perfect but it's important to me to have the dolls be able to line up from tallest to shortest as best they can. This trend of making dolls taller and taller has really worked to my advantage! I never thought I'd find a form for my tallest character...but a Mecha Angel Sabik will be coming home to fit the bill soon.

My only issue with Sabik is Soom's descision to give him SD13 sized feet. Nice of them to consider how limited my shoe options would be if his feet were to scale...but coudn't he at least have SD16 or Dollshe sized feet? My Sabik should be a barefoot kind of guy...but won't be becasue of the tiny, tiny feet.

4. I have 70cm dolls, but am not interested in anything larger, so matter how they look. I am ok with more joints as long as they function well and the doll is still aesthetically pleasing.

5. I like tall dolls, and posability is always a pro, but I don't like it that the trend of big dolls is also coming with the 'bigger! manlier! more realistic!' trend..I like my dolls sweet and girly, I like them to be comforting and..you know, doll like. Dolls that look like they could feature in a pron movie scare me XD I like Reisner because he has a sweet face and is not overmuscled, even though he's so tall.

Then again, there are more than enough girly girl and boy molds/bodies left for me to choose from, so this is great for the people who want a masculine, tall doll ^^

6. I love seeing all the new larger dolls and new sculpts and new joints--just as I like seeing all the new tinies and petites--and new SD-sized dolls.

The big guys have intrigued me. But I haven't purchased one so far. I find that my SD-sized dolls are about as big and bulky as I'd want to handle on a regular basis. I have been VERY tempted by a few of the larger dolls (actually, almost ALL of the larger dolls!), but so far, the larger size has made me hesitate. That could change in the future, of course! :)

As for joints... I love the improvements in posing that are being made. I do wish they'd 'filter down' to the smaller-sized dolls, too! Although I'm not too upset with the dolls I have. I think the joints are good enough and aesthetically, are quite nice! Maybe locking knee joints would be good, but aside from that, I don't mind the joints as they are. And I do think that aesthetics can't be totally sacrificed for posability... as others have said--a nice balance would be great.

So, basically--I like the larger trend, even though I hesitate to own a larger doll myself. And I like the new joints. I think it's good to have variety and improvements wherever possible--even if it's going to suit others more than myself. :)

7. Hm, I have mixed feelings about larger dolls and their extra joints. I think it's very neat how they have much more posabilities, and I love how natural their poses look like. But I really don't like how the joints look like. When they're wearing clothes and their joints are covered, it's okay. Once they're exposed though, I don't know ... I don't like how clunky and unnatural they look (especially in kneeling position).

I think it's nice to have them around though. If I get the chance, I might want one because my SD13 boys' posing range is really limited.

8. I so totally completely agree! :aheartbea I really think that companies will start improving mobility for shorter (ie like sd/sd13 dolls) soon. At least that's what I hope. I can't see how they wouldn't though. Volks did SDC with great joints, so I'm only hoping that now that they've done sd17, they'll move back down to improve their other dolls more. To be fair, SD Kurumi is already more improved compared to say SD Liz or SD13 Jun, etc... They're gradually improving things, so I'm very hopeful.
      but I want double joints and such. :D

I really love the esthetic of the sd/sd13 dolls the best (just personally there is something very appealing about those proportions)... so I'd love to have both that aesthetic AND great posing. :)
      I'd also love to see more variation in sd16 and dollshe-sized men -and- women. I'm a little concerned with the trend towards hyper-real abs, etc on some of the larger dolls. I know most people are like "WOW, HOT!!!" but my reaction is "awwww... I kinda like it with a little less definition". I wonder if I'm the only one complaining about the abs. haha. ;)

I dont think I'd ever want a doll taller than sd16... he's already a little big for me. Shoot, sd13 is pretty big. They're a bear to carry for more than an hour!!

I like all this variety we're getting though. :)

9. Joints ~ Larger dolls being able to sit in the cute pose that the suwarikko pose would be nice since that is why I'm getting the smaller MSD sized dolls. I don't really like the flex body since it looks kinda odd in my opinion. It's not worth the advancement if the doll can't stand up as a result. Many action figures added more joints for more poses and as a result many of them can't stand up without some sort of help.

Larger Dolls ~ I like them in general cause they look a lot more mature and easier to pass them as "adults" over children. Plus they have less child like clothing and more mature outfits and have a lot more shoes it seems (at least from what I've seen in my random wanderings). Although I find that I don't really like as many because it's so hard to find nice face scuplts. I would probably only get one set of them (male/female) and that be it unless I find some I actually like or order them as FCS.

10. While I love big dolls anything over the standard SD 13 size is a bit much for me. That said, I did order a Jace but the 70cm & now 80cm ones are too long & skinny for me which is a shame as there are some gorgeous faces on some of those giants.

As far as joints go, it completely depends on how they're done, if they're aestheticly pleasing & how they affect the overall stability of the doll. I do like the double jointed elbows & knees as those tend to be attractive & really add to the doll's posability. However, I'm not fond of the mobility joint on the Iplehouse girls. While it does help them cross their legs more naturally, it also makes their legs tend to twist around a lot. And I really hate the Domuya flexi-body. I was able to get my doll to stand but in general she reminds me of a ragdoll, everything tends to twist around including the center torso section & those cutouts in the arms & legs are terribly unattractive.

My favorite jointing is on the tiny NotDoll Lab Lucy. She's 7 1/2" of engineering marvel. She has double jointed elbows & knees, a 3 part torso, can cross her legs beautifully, sit in lotus position, stand on her own, touch her face, kneel & in general hold any pose you can imagine while looking beautiful even naked doing it. I would love to have a larger doll that's as flexible & stable as her.

11. I basically agree w/ this. I have a Roxydoll Eun-u head on a old resin SD13 boy body and I find he is very posable and has enough joints for my tastes. But I am mostly in it to do clothing, so a somewhat limited range of motion does not bother me (I have an Orientdoll Il and AR Kai who are not known for being very posable as BJD go) and I will buy a doll with limited range of jointing/posability if he or she fits my aesthetic designs.

12. Maybe I'm just dumb, but I can't seem to find Sabik's height on their website, exactly how tall is he?

13. One of my favorite bodies out there is the Shinydoll, not because it's my aesthetic ideal--I prefer a more voluptuous/mature sculpt--but because it seems to have found an excellent balance between looks and posability. The creator obviously spent a lot of time trying to make his joints both functional and pretty, and I think he succeeded admirably. Too bad we don't have more engineers in this hobby!

14. I tihnk having more joints is a wonderful thing, it makes for more natural movement and poses. But I wouldn't want a doll over 65cm. I was thinkig about getting Sabik, but when I found out he 80cm I quickly changed my mind.

15. The new SoulDoll double jointed doll looks very interesting, and much more posable than the other bodies. I like the 60cm body sculpts better than the SoulKids too so I'm glad they did it with the big doll body.

16. I actually don't like either trend. Volks SD13 boys are big enough for me, anything larger is just too heavy with all the resin involved. The 70cm and up boys also have very disproportionate, spindly weird bodies that just look off to me, even while they are clothed. Maybe if a larger doll that was proportioned like a 60 cm boy was produced, then I would be willing to give them a shot.

As for joints, I will sacrifice posability for aesthetics. I think almost all double joints are highly unnattractive, very clunky and more seem to be added to say they are double jointed than very thought out to produce an attractive, working joint. Unoas and Shinydolls are the only two that come to mind as managing to have achieved both well. Three part torsos or ones with low hip joints drive me crazy. We as humans do not bend in the middle of our hips, so why a joint is ever placed there has always escaped my understanding.

My dolls are naked more than they are clothed, and I love nothing more than a beautifully sculpted body. They're dolls, they don't need to be able to do gymnastics to please me.

17. I enjoy seeing the advances in size and technical aspects on an abstract level, but when it comes right down to it, it's the doll's sculpt that calls me, not its poseability.

That being said, I will often pass on a doll that doesn't have a jointed torso XD
      Clearly I don't ask for much!

But yeah. Sculpt first, size/technical brilliance after.

Raven

18. More joints? Hmm, that could be ok, but not too much like a weeny-joint. . .
      Larger dolls? Hmm, that could be also ok, but not too big. I think 80 is the limit.

19. --Do you think this trend will continue? Yes, I do. Some of the other companies are seeing how well dolls like 80cm MechaAngel, 70cm Dollmore Models and 70cm Dollshes are doing and have put out new lines, like CP's Senior Delf. The companies are listening when we say we want dolls that look more like adults, and are taller than SD13.
      -- how do you feel about the larger dolls in general? I think that they are great! The bigger the better! I love the more adult bodies too. I flip through Galleries of Saint, Sabik and Kyle Reese, but yet, I find myself with 3 Delf girls. I love looking at the big dolls, and I love the heavier weighted dolls, but I keep buying 60cm dolls anyway. I don't know why, probably because I like the 60cm heads. I certainly hope that the jointing systems filter down to them as well, since it looks like I will have a lot of 60cm dolls. I do wish there were more variety in head sculpts for 70+cm though. If I want a 60cm doll, I have probably 200+ options as far as heads versus maybe 20+ heads for 70cm+ dolls. I also hope they come out with more equally poseable girls in the larger dolls. In real life, women tend to be more flexible than men, so why is this reversed in dolls?
      -- do you like more joints (like sd16 and domuya flexibody, etc...) I think the more joints the better, as long as they work. I've been hearing a lot about how the Flexi-body has all these strange looking joints and some of them are designed to not work? (re: the elbows, ankles?) I'm getting mine any day so I will make up my mind then about those. I think you can have poseablity and looks, (like the previously mentions ShinyDoll body, for example) without having to mod the crap out a doll yourself. Either I'm going to find a body that looks good and poses well, or I'm going to buy one of each of the best in each category and sculpt my own. I know it can be done.
      -- does how the larger doll fits into your existing doll family effect whether you are going to own one? Or do you just appreciate the larger doll separately? or? Well, the doll family that I have consists of many different races of many heights. For example, my 60cm girl is approximately 19, but if I brought a Mecha Angel home, he'd represent a boy of approximately 15 but be "two feet" taller than my older girl. I don't see a problem with it. All my dolls are different heights because they are on different bodies. I love variety. :) Any taller dolls would just be part of my 'doll family'.

20. I feel that the trend will continue but become more refined. Now many of the dolls with multiple joints look ackward to me (thread I started a while ago about it) I think eventually companies will try to redesign the joints to look nicer. Looking ackward seems to be the sacrifice we take for better posability. I actually ordered a Domuya flexi body when they were on sale for their anniversary because it was such a good deal and owners do rave about how awesomely poseable they are, but ended up cancelling my order because the way the arms looked annoyed me too much. I would rather pay more to have a body that I like the way it looks.

As far as height goes, myself only owning minis now, it is kind of intimidating. I got a chance to hold a 70cm doll at a meet recently and was just thinking 'Woa he's huuuge!' but holding a doll in the 60cm range seems fine to me. Once they get taller than about 60 or 62cm I think they start to look disproportional to minis.

Though more joints may be easier to pose and fun to play with, I prefer less joints for aesthetic reasons.