1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you feel about more joints and larger dolls?

May 2, 2007

1. More length and weight to the limbs - as it is, big dolls can be pretty heavy x.x - means that the joints need to be built in a way that it can be supported. Tinies do not often have double joints because the friction in them is enough to hodl them. A Yukinojo, on the other hand, needs more joints in his legs for example so his weight can be distributed more easily.

I love the look of joints and as long as they're practical and attractive to my eye.. I'm all for it. :3

2. I strongly dislike how having more joints looks. I'm not really into super-awesome poses or anything so I don't want a doll with double-jointed elbows because I don't need them and I don't like how they look. I'd actually be perfectly happy with a doll that didn't have jointed elbows at all o_O And I'd definitely be happy with a doll that didn't have a jointed torso (so long as they were able to sit without leaning on something...). I mean really... the doll I have now just sits and looks pretty. :3 When I eventually get more dolls they might "interact" so maybe then I'd like them to have better posability, but for now my priority is how they look o_@

As for size, I think the bigger the better! XD Okay I wouldn't want a life size doll. Uh. But I think a 1/2 scale doll would be awesome!! So I totally support that trend! :3 My only problem with it is that people seem to be having trouble making the bigger dolls stand. I'm sure that as the huge dolls become more mainstream or whatever, companies will find ways to make them more stable, at least I hope so. Anyway, I think that the bigger the dolls get the more detailed they can get. :3 Also I bet you can look at them from farther away and still appreciate the details XD Sometimes I find myself right up in the face of my doll because I'm admiring his tiny details XD;;; I hope that isn't really weird >_>

3. I like the 'bigness' of the big dolls, if that makes any sense. XD

As for the jointing, I love more joints in some places, like the double knee or extra swivel joint at the top of the leg (like on Yukinojo). The extra leg/shoulder socket caps are cool too (like on Luts boys) they extend range best on the legs with those.

3-part torsos can be good if done right (I am not a fan of of the 3-part torso on a Dollshe boy tho, soooo wonky).

I am not a fan of double elbows, they ushally lead to dolls wacking themselves in the face and I feel like I have LESS range with them, it's either straight, 90, or 180 degress (so they can touch their face) as they are not round most of the time and won't stick in any other positions unsupported.

Also, from a manufacturing sandpoint, more joints can be bad cause it ups the cost of a doll, as more parts = more molds = more expensive silicone = more time spent casting and cleaning up parts. XD Bummer.

4. Well-designed, properly strung double elbow joints will hold at any extent of their range of motion.

The problem is with both the 'design' factor and the 'properly strung' factor.

Even a well-designed doll won't hold poses right if they aren't strung with the proper tension. And a badly designed doll will still have problems no matter how it's strung.

What I'd like to see is a doll other than a dollfie dream that can hold it's freaking legs in place. I have yet to encounter anything that will. Not sure it's even possible. Perhaps multiple locks, like how Volks knees will lock straight out, put one at 45 degrees or so as well so the doll can hold a leg partially out. Like if they're sitting on a bridge or something, make it look like they're idly kicking their legs.

Then again, my dolls' style runs generally to long sleeves and pants. So even if the joints underneath are ugly as hell I don't even see it. :lol: But I'd rather have ugly and functional ones than pretty ones that don't even let the doll bend their elbows 90 degrees. >_<

5. Hmm, I don't know... I mean, I really think they're big enough as is but then again... I remember being so damn excited over the My Size Barbie XD I think the larger BJDs are somewhat like that. Plus, I'm a stickler for detail so the more room, the more detail.

6. I don't think there's such a thing as too big a doll. Frankly, I'm surprised at the amount of people who DON'T like large dolls and prefer the smaller ones. But, to each their own! I think there should be larger BJD's out there, because I think there's more room for detail with those dolls. I don't know if I like the new joints they have for most dolls. While they enable knees and elbows to bend further, they have a weird rubbery look to me. That is, the bend is too drastic looking. But that's just me, I guess. But yes, I say yes to more large dolls out there. Like 4ft. tall ones!

Oh, yeah. One thing I don't like about some of the larger dolls is the proportion. Long legs are nice, but it seems like some companies stretch them out way too far, like the Afgan doll (sp?). There's too much elongation going on. It looks overly unnatural to me.

7. I find the different joint systems interesting, and actually like the look of bjd joints in general. What makes me tend to shy away from very large dolls (over 70cm) is the weight and awkwardness--and also because anything over about 65cm isn't inscale to be a body for one of my characters and they come first.

8. Oh, I didnt' realize how expressive a foot could be until I saw the flexi body! I hope I can get one someday,LOL!

I like larger dolls, maybe because I find them easier to sew for. But I just like them better than smaller dolls, although tiny dolls are awesome too!

I was just thinking yesterday how cool it would be to have flexible fingers, LOL, of course the dolls may start to look like robots or androids, LOL.

Ingie