1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How Do You Feel About Your Collection Right Now?

Sep 12, 2018

1. More than a year later, I'd say I'm still 50% content, if not a little less than 50%.

I've found that I have bonded better with my vinyl guys, just because of their "accessibility". They are much lighter and easier to handle than my resin "crew". Having to sit and essentially look at them everyday over the past fortnight or so, I've come to realise that I don't touch my resin pieces nearly as much as I do my vinyl guys.

Yet, I still want their characters in doll form. So, I've been looking at shrinking them in a physical sense, by re-shelling them in FID or Raccoon Doll sizes. Thereby, keeping their maturity but making them smaller, lighter, overall easier to handle and transport. Or, I rid myself of the resin altogether and stick with the vinyl guys. But, then, most sites dedicated to BJDS - like this very forum - wouldn't welcome me.

I don't know, overall. The entire world feels like it has turned upside down, and I'm questioning things on a subconscious level. There's an anxiety that's leaking into my main conscious. For some reason, it's manifesting as concerns over my current doll crew and wanting them in smaller sizes.

I just need to take a step back and, maybe, write all of this out in a word document. To get it out. I did start doing that the other day, actually. A list of current dolls and heads, a wish-list, the plan to switch out SDs for FID-size dolls. Current hopes for the collection. I've always told myself that I wouldn't go over 10 dolls, especially if they're SD-sized, and I have kept to that with this new plan. But, having smaller dolls means they don't take up so much space. Yes, the vinyl guys will dominate whatever space they take up, being the tallest, but I want to see my plans come to fruition, with Ethan sitting with his three bandmates and Sam (his girlfriend), and my Ancient Korean couple and his horse (hence, wanting them in smaller than SD size). And my Capcom guys (the vinyl pair).

And, with my most recent distance-learning degree module officially cut short due to the pandemic, despite being distance-learning based, I've almost got all the time in the world to torture myself with dreams of a FID Bichun and complete crews!! *_*

2. I have two characters I really would like to shell sooner or later and I wouldn't mind getting more 1/3 scale versions of the characters I have in 1/4 scale. I do like my doll collection as it is, though. I'm not feeling rushed on getting those future dolls.

3. I think my exact thoughts regarding my current collection would be "Why are there so many of you?" ;) I like them all. No regrets. I got one potential candidate for selling, one lying in his box till can get the money together to finally have him painted and several that need new/better face-ups but all in all, sculpt-wise, I really, really like my crew.

4. I am pretty happy with my collection. I do have one boy who has been waiting for a faceup for nearly 2 years, so that is something I want done this year if possible. With the quarantine I am not sure when the artist will be able to do him for me. I also have a boy I am not quite happy with and it could be a wig thing as I am really fussy about hair.

5. My collection as all in boxes and completely unorganized, so I feel a little disengaged with them, I've not even looked at a doll in a year, two years? Someone definitely needs to go, and I'm contemplating finally getting that MiniFee I've always wanted. Maybe this year I'll get everything organized!

6. I'm overwhelmed! I likely will not be making any doll purchases (except for paying off my last layaway) for the rest of the year. Currently I've got two full dolls at home, three floating heads at home, a body on the way, two heads on the way, and a body on layaway. None of them were impulse purchases-- the two full dolls had 4 months spread between them, but then a preorder suddenly opened up and I ordered my third, because he was next on my list. And then my girlfriend found her grail, and we paid for that. The list goes on. I think once they're all home I'll feel much better.

7. For me, my dream dolls are not collected. So I think I need more:celebrate

8. I feel slightly frustrated about my collection... I have 5 full dolls + 4 floating heads, finding bodies that will work for some of the floating heads seems almost impossible to the point where I just want to give up -___-
      I have 2 dolls ordered that I'm waiting for- one doll which I'm really excited about, and then one doll that I ordered 6 months ago that I have lost all interest in and regret having ordered in the first place... :(

9. I feel so much better since selling the really expensive girl I never bonded with. I felt so guilty that I didn’t love her!

10. Volks will open slots for SD17 Williams and SD17 Cecile this weekend, but I'm really in considering, as the collection grew too fast, beyond my original plan for this year.
      Beside that, in spite of a fan of Williams, I wonder that does Volks made it too easy to own him this time?
      It seems a wise move in this terrify pandemic time, but will it made Volks' brand reputation decreased?

11. I feel pretty happy with my collection at the moment! My only main issues is waiting on packages from overseas right now because of how slow the mail system has been lately with the pandemic as I’m getting a little sad with having a doll who is incomplete. I’m just happy to have the dolls who I do have right now and giving them all the attention I can! :3nodding:

12. A little sad, but not majorly set back. I have to re-buy a doll in a resin color I feel will fit my character better, and perhaps find an alternative wig for another.

Anyone else have some future plans and doll needs that you dread?

13. right now i am optimistic for future dolls and projects! i didn't connect with the very first doll i ever bought (having never even seen one in real life made it hard to choose what was right for me) and after selling her, i used the money to buy a different one from the same company. i absolutely love that one doll and am now waiting on a second doll that i paid the layaway for a little while ago! ive been in the hobby for a little over a year now, and saving up for doll stuff is slow going as i am self employed and working towards a lot of big (expensive) goals in life (making and casting my own dolls) :sweat

i'm currently hunting for a head for the body i ordered, and that's frustrating. i wish there were more mature 1/6 scale dolls out there. all the ones i can find are either hyperrealistic or so toony that they still look like kids. doubly frustrating is that there are so many beautiful msd size sculpts out there! i just wish they were smaller,,, :...( darn my tastes! i like small things!

i think my goal is to own a lot of 1/6 and smaller dolls by individual creators i appreciate. and maybe i'll let myself get one msd sized doll one day, but it'd have to be a sculpt that completely blows my mind, haha.

14. My collection is small right now, and I can't wait for it to expand. My goal is to fill my collection with fantasy-based dolls, and a lot of those get snatched up really quick, so I think it'll take me some time to build a reputable collection. I'm excited for it though, gives me something to look forward to in the future!

15. It's a mess lol. I didn't realize what I actually wanted in my collection vs things I liked, but shouldn't own (if that makes sense?). Now I'm in the process of purging dolls. I know I should get rid of my first doll, because she's not for me, but I'll feel so guilty :sigh

16. I feel like my collection is lacking

To be fair, I just started last night. I just received my first boy last night. <3

I plan on growing my collection slowly over the next few years and learn as much as I can.

My first doll is a Migidoll Ryu on the original Migidoll boy body. I got him secondhand on Ebay and I couldn't be happier with him. I do however need to learn how to restring him entirely. He is really loose and probably needs a new string.

My sister just ordered their first doll today secondhand on Ebay as well. He is a Akagidoll Tanta.

17. I've been in an odd place with my collection the past several months. Having some extra time recently, I thought I'd spend more time taking photos and whatnot but I've barely touched my BJDs. I've been considering that, after 14 years, maybe I've finally run my course with the hobby. I have very narrow interest in terms of companies and styles anymore. I've been considering letting everything go but I open my cabinet and can't quite bring myself to pack them up.
      I had a thought today that maybe I'll reduce the clothing down to something like 5 outfits per doll & 3 wigs each. I figure with those kind of numbers if I don't continue collecting I've kept my favorite items without regret, or I've left myself with a good base for renewal. I've started doing some sorting and will sit on these thoughts a little longer.

18. It's been a couple of years since I answered before, but I feel like I've made a lot of good progress with my collection. There are a few more "wants" on my wishlist, but very few needs. Everyone, for the most part, has faceups, wigs, eyes, and clothes. I've shelled the four characters I originally set out to shell, and picked up a few more along the way. I do need to think about selling a couple of dolls that were pretty, but I'm not as attached to.

I think now that I've more or less hit my limit with 1/3 sized dolls, I might branch into some of the tinies. I really love the 1/12 scale dolls like Soom Petit Gem.

19. Hmm I had had those thoughts too during the past weeks before I figured out I just needed to downsize and make space for new things. And yes, keeping the most beloved dolls and favourite items for a fresh start is a good idea :) If you still have some feelings for them when interacting, then it's good to wait a little and keep them for a while :)

20. @CutieKitty I started reading through your thread on narrowing down your collection earlier and it’s good to hear you’ve come to some resolutions on how to handle it.
      I’ve downsized before and know it’s time to do it again but I’m struggling more than ever with that most of the outfits would be irreplaceable. Particularly, with a certain brand I focused for many years on collecting every release of and eventually managed a full set of, I’m nervous about breaking up the set even though I know I’ve gotten a bit bored of the style.