1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How Do You Feel About Your Collection Right Now?

Sep 12, 2018

1. Right now I'm conflicted about the number of dolls that I have. I cut my collection by about a third over the past couple of years, and at the moment all but two of my dolls are in storage, so I've been doing a lot of thinking about what I want to get out of my collection. Having them away from me (even more so than just having them boxed up, which was the case for 2/3rds of them for the past year) is really getting me to reevaluate my whole attitude towards the collection as a whole.

2. I got into the hobby a few years ago - jumped right into it and collected two SD heads and a Volks body, but my interest suddenly ceased and it wasn't until a month ago when I started a new job that I started thinking about the BJD hobby again. I wanted to start anew hence I put up my previously owned dolls for sale and got a completely different one, which on reflection was the company and sculpt I'd always wanted a doll from but back then I somehow didn't do it. While I've seen quite a few appealing new sculpts recently (and it's only been a month), I've been able to limit myself to just the one (and I'm beginning to think, the one and only). Oddly enough I feel very content with my single boy, which wasn't something that happened before with other dolls in the past - that must be an indication of how satisfied I am with him!

Right now I'm concentrating on building his wardrobe from scratch since he's an SD17 and almost everything I owned previously doesn't fit him. Reading about crafting and sewing over the weekends in my room, with him on the table by my books, is a lovely experience. I hope it stays that way - I can afford to make/buy a lot more clothes and accessories than I can dolls.

3. I'm pretty pumped! My collection is a nice size: 9 big dolls. What's more, I've been able to find all my grails, despite me thinking I'd never be lucky enough to get them all. It took years of searching and waiting for them finally to pop up in the marketplace, but it was so worth it :).

Now, it's time for me to start designing their final look for them. I've been holding off on that, since I was still searching for my Kanon Louis; for some reason it didn't feel right to start working on the others when the crew wasn't complete yet.

#63 Silk, Sep 22, 2018
      Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
    4. In love! I had put my dolls in boxes due to moving and then storage issues, but I really dedicated this year to finding adequate display space. I have one curio cabinet now completely finished and furnished with stands. I still have a long way to go (I have a lot of dolls...) but just seeing them makes me so happy. I don't think I'll finish my journey this year, but it's so worth it.

5. i'd be happier if i could be with my dolls ^^' the two bigger ones are currently in storage several states away, leaving me with only a puki that i'm not really attached to. tbh i might sell her in the future for more doll money .... but overall i'm pretty happy right now with not having a tonne of dolls. i'd rather flesh out the ones i have and buy them more clothes n things. there is one new doll i want but i can't currently save for him so he feels a little far away. i think once i'm reunited with my dolls and i can finally get the new one i'll be happy for quite a while!

6. I personally feel really good! My collection is not at all what I was originally striving for, but I found my grail doll (in floating head form) and I found him a body already! Even though I have two more floating heads, I'm not in a huge rush to get them bodies. My last full doll that I ordered is on his way and I'm going to be busy with faceups and putting outfits together. All my dolls are different sizes, too, which I actually like! I'd like to maybe get one or two more dolls in the next few years, but I haven't found another one I absolutely have to have yet.

7. I have too many dolls and too many doll items and it's totally hoarder-territory out of control!

But I don't really want to get rid of any dolls. I should probably organize the items and maybe get rid of some clothes and wigs and eyes, etc.

I'm still buying more dolls...! I have 4 on layaway... :doh

8. I love my crew to bits. Sure, I have some that need to be painted and I need a whole lot more clothes and shoes, but I'm slowly working my way through that. I've got plenty of time anyway, and I enjoy them no matter if they are "complete" or in-complete. I love having a lot of balls to play with, always having new projects I can take up and work on. This is how I enjoy the hobby.

9. I’m pretty pleased with my collection! I’ve got my eye on a few dolls and one on the way for sure. At the same time I’m buying new things for my existing dolls and just overall updating them. New wigs and new outfits. I’m just a new pair of eyes away from overhauling my first doll and I couldn’t be happier with her even after all these years. So I’m at a pretty good place but I looking forward to expanding!

10. I am happy with but unsure of my collection so far.

When I started I ended up with 4 floating heads before I went on a very long hiatus back in 2012. I got a double of a custom MNM because I was paranoid something would happen and I would not have it anymore. I thought they were more fragile than they are.

Fast forward to a couple months ago - I came back to the hobby and from 4 floating heads it has grown to 4 floating heads, an Iple EID, 2 Iple JIDs, a Volks MSD, a tiny Doll Family - A deer, and two bodies still on their way from a friend who by some miracle had the original bodies I planned to have for 2 of the heads back in 2012. The plan I had originally for my oldest dolls are still firmly in place. Those are my babies as is my EID boy. It's the others I am not so sure about.

After handling a 70cm boy I thought he was too heavy for me so the next group of dolls I got for a little story were all the smaller dolls. I like them but I think I actually do prefer the weight of the bigger dolls. I also don't like that I don't have a boy and girl in the same size. All my boys are SDs and my girls are MSDs.

I want to keep my collection at 10 or under (though I hear tinies do not count haha) but I also do not want to part with what I have to make room for the shifting plan. Fighting with myself on if I want to get a SD girl or a MSD boy or just a super poser SD boy. I cannot seem to settle on an idea now that I know I like SDs better BUT do not want to part with the MSDs I have now.

(Sorry for the long post, I have no one around me to talk to with about bjds so its nice to get this out there, haha.)

11. Three MSD now that I love, a boy, a girl and a fawn ;-) They all need something - so that keeps them interesting. Don't feel the need for any more, they make a nice collection in glass door bookcase.

12. I have 2 at the moment and 1 on the way. For now that’s enough for me and I’m looking forward to finding all the clothes, wigs ,eyes, accessories for these 3, but who knows for the future!

13. Well, I love about 50% of my collection.

Technically, I have four dolls, but one is kept in his box at all times. I want to sell him, but the market is just so slow that I don't know if I have the patience to list him and let him sit for sale until he's found by someone. So, I always say I have three, when really it's four.

Then, there's my MSD boy. I bought him, because I fell in love with his company photos, then he came home and it was...deflating. I don't want to say I was disappointed, but he wasn't quite what I was expecting. I do adore him, now and then, but he's nothing compared to the two I have based on OCs. The doll in my avatar, Ethan, is top-dog. He's the star, while his girlfriend is a close second. But, I could comfortably get rid of her, if the occasion ever arose. It would have to be dire, though. Not just 'eh, I don't want her anymore'. Ethan would be harder to sell, even in tough times, for sentimental reasons. He wasn't my first (that's the aforementioned one in the box), but his character has a special place in my heart. He was created to help cope with a bout of grief I was dealing with at the time.

And, I have a fifth doll on the way. Soon. It's an off-topic model, so I can't really discuss it too much, but he's going to be something of my first proper project doll. I'll be trying to make the wig, and some outfits for him. But, the longer I wait, the more I wonder if I did the right thing by jumping in to buy him. It was my first proper impulse buy, all others have been considered in great detail. And, I don't do a great deal with the dolls I already have, not even Ethan. They're admired from a distance, sometimes they're "cuddled". I have some plans for Halloween photos, but nothing really beyond that.

So, while I'm about 50% happy with them, I could obviously be happier. Ideally, I would love the whole gang that Ethan and his girlfriend belong to, but that'd just get too expensive. And, when I don't do an awful lot with those I already have, it'd also be a waste of both time and money.

Still, Ethan means more than I'm willing to admit. If it ends up being Ethan and me against the world, so be it!

14. Did it make you want to change it up entirely?

15. Right now, I'm satisfied with the number of dolls I have. Maybe one day I will downsize, but today is not that day.

16. Heading towards content. First time in the hobby where I’m not seeking new dolls, and am happy with the collection as it stands. That said, I have a few separate heads and bodies, and many need new wigs & clothes, so that’ll be the main focus from now on.

(I’m still waiting on one doll, Dollshe Aramis AKA Legolas... but y’know Dollshe. It’s been a year so far.)

17. I'm very content with my current collection! It's grown pretty quickly considering that I've only been in the hobby for almost a year, but I've brought home multiple dolls who I'd written off as total pipe dreams, including my ultimate grail, Aimerai Nick Chopper. A few dolls have come and gone, but everyone else is here to stay.

18. I'm not sure how I feel about my collection, I have a doll pre-ordered and I'm also trying to slightly downsize but I am happy with some of the dolls I own and super excited about getting a new one! And possibly more in the future :)

19. I feel pretty happy! Last year I wasn't really able to do as many doll purchases as I'd have liked, due to being unemployed, but now that I have a job I've been able to make a lot of plans come true. Right now I have six complete dolls, as in they have everything: faceups, clothes, wigs, bodies, etc. I also have two floating heads and one fullset doll on the way (and one head that I need to sell). It feels really nice to have everyone with me and know I can play with them whenever I want without feeling ashamed about the state they're in, especially the dolls that are shelling my own OCs. I'd like to shell even more characters from the same world, but those plans can wait till next year.

I don't want to have too many dolls because I feel like I won't be able to easily divide my attention between them and I don't want to neglect anybody. Right now, though, I feel like I could have more. :3nodding:

20. I have way more dolls now than I ever thought I would have. There are a couple of characters I still want to add to my collection as dolls and it'll get bigger. I don't really have a cap at the moment, but I'm satisfied with where I am for now. My main goal at this point is getting bodies for my floating heads.