1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you guys cope?

Jun 19, 2017

1. I agree with a lot of the comments here, so many people have different hobbies but I have noticed that for some reason certain people tend to think doll collecting is "silly" or "creepy" Luckily I have a supportive husband who appreciates the art of dolls.

2. My boyfriend doesn't quite understand either, but when I make clear to people that this is what makes me happy and that I enjoy spending my time in this hobby, they seem to accept it a little easier. I don't tend to talk about money though...

3. I live life with the attitude of "it's my own life. I'm the person who has to live with me constantly." Therefore, I will do what makes me happy. As long as my hobby doesn't hurt anyone, I don't let the petty options of others bring me down. Also, as long as I use my own money and spend it responsibly, there's really no reason for anyone to judge. My own best friend (who works as a professional financial advisor, mind you) will oftentimes tell me not to waste my money. But, I know I am saving accordingly and not blowing my entire savings on one BJD. I don't let it effect me anymore :3nodding:

4. I tell them to buzz off. My husband is supportive although he thinks it's too expensive and doesn't like them himself. Family just rolls their eyes and tells me I'm weird. Otherwise I keep prices to myself and no one says much.

If people are giving you a hard time they should just mind their own buisness geez.

5. I've grown enough to know to no longer care about other people's opinions on my harmless hobbies.

I got my first doll when I was probably 16 and brought her to my school. A few of my friends were creeped out (calling her Chucky), the friend that I'm still friends with did not care, because she collects various collectibles. My mom was the one who allowed me to buy her since I did not receive Christmas or birthday presents. Needless to say, the people who made fun of me are no longer my friends. To this day I still talk to my mother about dolls, she doesn't really know what I'm talking about, but she listens to me because she knows that it is one of the very few things that make me happy and bring me excitement.

If there's someone who makes fun of you it honest to god doesn't matter. What matters is that you are happy and proud of what you have, no matter how much or how little you spend. The people who make fun of you will probably end up not being part of your life in the long run regardless.
      However, I do have a friend that has parents that would steal their dolls and have made nudges of selling them to make a quick buck. This friend keeps their dolls at a friend's house (another collector) to keep them safe. You should be alright if you're not around people who want to actually harm or take away your possessions!

Tip: If they keep insulting what you love just stare at them and be like, "alright, and?" People will say things to get a reaction out of you. If you don't show you're upset they'll probably stop.

6. I've been fortunate enough to have quite a few friends that collect, meeting their dolls is what got me into them! I collect a lot of different things, so it's never been an issue. I even work with all men and they've all been really excepting of all my quirky collecting habits.

7. I have had a few cases of "thats creepy and weird" and im like uhuh sure is. And i go about my day. My geandmother and dad collect dolls so I see this more as continuing what im use to. I have always been surrounded by dolls and i know its not for everyone and that it can be creepy but i just smile and continue what im doing. I have gotten the, thats a waste of money speach and im like uhuh yep. As i click the purchase button. Its my money my life my space. And i remind everyone of that. They do not have to like it. Im not going to make them or even attempt to change how they feel. I remind them they know where the door is please close it behind them when they step out if my life. Otherwise they will have to simply get use to me loving my dolls. Plain and simple. Even my ex back when we were together got use to it and even helped me carry them around and dreas them because he knew i wasnt going to change and as much as i loved him i wouldnt give them up for him id just find someone else to take his place. Note we didnt break up because of the dolls and he whines that i never let him see the one i declared as his child. We are still friends.

8. Aside from the creepy dolls comments, the only complaint was when my uncle tried to claim he was 'uncomfortable' because he saw a glimpse of my doll naked in our front room window. I was sewing out there and browsing DOA on my laptop. I had her sitting on the windowsill. He claimed it freaked him out to see her there naked.

He only saw her back. Not her bust, not her butt. Her. Back.

He tried to make it a big deal saying I shouldn't bring my dolls out into the living room (not just 'dressed' but full stop) my mom told him to cut the BS cause it was OUR house not his. And then the next day to spite him I had my doll standing there naked as soon as I heard his car pull up. Had her waving and everything.

He took a double take. Put a hand to his face and walked on. Said nothing ever again about it.

Immature? Yes.

Did I care? Not really. He had no problems with my dolls until he saw a chance to make a big deal out of it cause he's a drama queen.

9. I used to spend a lot of time worrying about what people thought of me, but got to the point where I cracked and I am now quite blasé.

I don't have any BJDs yet (have recently ordered my first), but know some people think I'm weird for playing certain computer games and Warhammer as an adult. I tend not to mention my hobbies to people who I know will be judgemental and narrow minded, but am no longer upset if anyone finds out. At the end of the day all hobbies are arguably pointless or weird; some are just, for whatever reason, more broadly deemed acceptable by society. As long as a hobby makes someone happy and isn't harming anyone/anything then I can't see there's a problem or anything to be ashamed of.

10. All the people I care about know about my love for dolls, they save me ribbons and other things I might be able to use to make them things and are very supportive. Having said that I would not mention them to collegues or other aquantences as I think it might make them see me in a diffrrent light as possibly childish or creepy. I am lucky in the fact that no one has been rude or judged me over them, it is just one of my quirks.

11. I've gotten a bit of flack over how much my DC carol cost from my parents and I have no intention of telling them of the other dolls on my list. I suspect this is because I've been calling my doll a 'customizable harpy model' for whom I try to decorate to make less creepy.

I've gotten some rude comments from some strangers too but I always ask them "Isn't it weird how people find my hobby of collecting dolls more comment worthy than dissecting small animals?"

They back away in a hurry after that.

What can I say, being a biology student has its perks. I bought a few preserved rats when I needed to practice for class.

12. OMG -
      I just retired from Social Services and unfortunately there ARE instances where these kinds of interfering a$$hats manage to ruin someone's life - I'm so glad you had reasonable people at DSS dealing with your case! So sorry to hear about this experience! That certainly would make me stop talking about my dolls!

The most annoying person to comment on my dolls was a person I worked with who was big on buying local & other so-called progressive ideas (I'm such a hippie so to be lectured on that makes me laugh BTW). She's always mentioning that I should donate to Locks of Love (I've really long hair but HAVE cut it off & donated) - and when she found out about my BJDs she immediately started with 'why buy stuff from overseas" etc etc. She wouldn't shut up about it - I got so I just turned around & walked away the nano-second she started shaking her head (she'd bring it up if I was showing off a doll book, getting a doll from the PO at work, etc). Just sooooo annoying!

#52 Teleri, Jul 14, 2017
      Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
    13. The "worst" comment I've gotten was that my doll was a bit creepy, because at the time I had her head off. Understandable. Otherwise, I have other things that people find more off putting than my dolls. Snakes. So that keeps people from commenting on my dolls.

14. Honestly, for me it is not that I am secretive, but I feel that my collections (I collect anime figures, plushies, books, and dolls) are something very intimate and I only share them with the people that I feel comfortable with.
      However, I have gotten a comment here and there, and my answer to that is that I am going to do what makes me happy. If they don’t pay my bills and don’t support me financially (which they don’t) then they get no say in how I spend my money. You know, life is so short and the world is going from bad to horrible, why not let people do what they love, as long as they aren’t hurting anyone or doing anything illegal then there’s no need for people to comment. Personally, I budget, I pay what I have to pay, donate to charity, and save money, so I just tell people to backoff, they have no right to tell me how to live my life.

15. Criticism.....I'm used to it. My other loves are figure skating (Yuzuru Hanyu) and BTS. My family/friends in the main 'bashes' them all (or at the best interacts about them as little as possible). I've learnt not to give a monkeys!

16. I am still hesitant to tell people that I have started collecting BJDs. I encountered a bunch of criticism when I was thinking about starting the hobby years ago. So now that I have finally jumped into the hobby, I don't bother telling other people about it unless they ask.

17. I’ve always been imaginative, artistic and overly creative, so people pretty much expect me to be somewhat eccentric, and no one bats an eye at any creative hobby I might fall into. Anyone who comes into my home (from friends dragged along by my grown children, “you’ve GOT to see my parent’s house!”, to the occasional service repairman) is always far too busy looking and oooo-ing and ahhh-ing to say anything negative. Mostly, they are fascinated and just ask for a tour (which we kindly oblige.) You see, our decor style is decidedly bohemian, and my dolls are displayed in decorative vignettes throughout the home as a part of that decor. The dolls just “fit” with everything else, so nobody thinks it’s odd at all. The most common remarks are, “Wow! Your home is like a museum!” (the most common) and “This is the most amazingly beautiful place I’ve ever seen!” as well as, “This looks like a place where Hobbits would live…it’s magical!” No one ever says anything negative. And keep in mind that our place is quite humble, only 720 square feet, so there certainly isn’t anything lavish or grand here…just creative. My husband collects swords and bladed weapons, we both collect electric guitars (which line the hallway), and I collect dolls (which my hubby supports and enjoys.) We’ve lived long lives by now, and it’s all about our happiness these days really. We simply don’t indulge the negativity of others…and why would we when there’s so much positivity to be had from our collections? I’ve carefully built the BJD collection of my dreams by budgeting very hard, always researching and buying slowly on layaway. And I’ve also worked very hard, creatively speaking (faceups, artwork, character-building, sewing wardrobes, building displays, wig-making) on my collection. So I’m not about to entertain any disparaging remarks! (Not that there’s ever been any!):)

#57 PoeticSoul, Jun 19, 2022
      Last edited: Jun 26, 2022
    18. I've only had one person make a disparaging remark about my doll hobby. But she is a dear friend, and she said it in a sort of joking tone, calling my dolls creepy. I did not take it personally, because that particular friend is not what I would call a girly-girl. She never owned dolls as a kid, and is more into athletic activities (she's a phys ed teacher). So I wouldn't expect her to appreciate dolls.

I would only take that kind of remark personally if someone said it in a hurtful tone. At my age I've learned to be pretty thick skinned.
      Surprisingly, the one person I thought would be very critical of my hobby, is my sister in law. She's always been very critical of everything I do. But when I told her about my dolls, she actually got excited. Now I'm thinking of maybe getting her a BJD this next Christmas.